Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling into Concrete Fence Post

Options
  • 29-07-2022 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭

I've got some concrete fence posts in garden and I need to attach some brackets to it to hold a fence rail - no suitable holes on post currently.

I get that this question might be a bit vague, but anyway...

Can you drill a 10mm hole into a concrete fence post (75mm x 100mm, hole central in 75mm face) for an anchor bolt without affecting its integrity to any discernable level?

Or would you be better to make a |_| shape bracket and drill right through the 100mm face and put a washer and nut on the opposite side?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The bracket surface area means that there would be insufficient gap for two M6 without being a bit too close to the sides for my liking - I'd be concerned about it bursting outwards if I used two anchors.

Without knowing the loads for a M6 or a M8 I suspect that they might even suffice on their own as an anchor. However, the safest way is to use a through bolt - it just make a lot more work for me making the brackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭mulbot

Have drilled into my posts with a 10 mm anchor, no issues at all, drilled a 6 mm hole first, no cracking. Have a hammock hanging from one, gates hanging off another

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Sorry funky, that was a fail, I was trying to suggest something like this;

Or like @tphase suggested drill through the post and use m8 coach screws through the post and into the rail.

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Might have to expand on that diagram @chooseusername . What the bit to the left?

I was planning on a |_| to fit against post and then drill through. There would be two 'winglets' on the front face for the fence to be bolted to.

Giving something like: _|__|_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

The trick when drilling a concrete post is avoiding the steel re bar, hitting this bar with a masonry bit may ruin it. If post has 2 re bars they will be off centre so it may be safe to drill right thru' the very centre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement