Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Went to a website saw all staff were female ...

Options
  • 27-07-2022 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭

So I got contacted by a recruitment agency. Not uncommon but the amount of these I get is ridiculous. Agencies I have been in touch with before seem to get all their junior staff to get more contacts so you can have 20 odd people from one agency trying to connect sometimes. I tend to ignore these as I am already connected with the senior reps who have the roles I am interested in and the junior staff tend to have only junior roles.

Anyway I get a message from an agency I haven't heard from before or don't remember. First thing annoys me it has ****PLEASE RESPOND*** in the title of the email. Anyway I look at their website and first thing they show is a picture of the staff and they are all female.

It struck me straight away and I just thought there must be something odd there if this is the situation. Think about some more and still think it is odd. Wounder if women see that the same way when they see all male employees but many businesses are male dominant . The thing is recruitment is certainly not gender specific and they are recruiting for roles that have certainly more men e.g. IT.

Maybe I am seeing what women see when looking at companies or maybe there is something odd about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭victor8600

Could be a stock photo. I mean unless it is a law or advertising firm, or any other business that sells an image, what's the point of showing real photos of staff? People in IT generally are famous for their relaxed clothing attitude. A photo of a group of IT professionals taken from their desk would not look as a coherent, professional image. Someone would be in shorts, someone else in a suit, another in a humorous t-shirt.

What website are you talking about anyway?

The thing is recruitment is certainly not gender specific

True but human resources/talent management is heavily populated by women, and that ties into recruitment. Perhaps they all started the company together? (Although I've known many guys in recruitment companies..)

There have been a number of female only companies out there. It's not sexist or discriminatory when women want such a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

The more involved in the job, the more preoccupied people are. Since there's nothing really involved in HR/recruitment work, they're more inclined to pay attention to their clothing.

Yeah, HR are all female. I still can't get my head around how they get all that money. There should be a segment on Joe Duffy to complain about this.

I still remember when I was fresh out of college, thinking that the recruitment company was the actual company the job was with. You'd be on the phone to someone talking the talk, mentioning all the scientific terms in the job spec until you'd ask a question and then they'd basically say "I know nothing, I'm just a secretary". Then I'd feel equally as stupid for thinking that they were the actual company.

I had one twat on to me one day talking about a great opportunity in a rapidly growing company, until eventually it was revealed to be some bloody company I worked for part time when I was a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Female only companies is not sexist?

I do enjoy your contributions on this site, and generally agree, but this is rubbish.

• Advertisement

It's the world we live in. The same way that there are educational sponsorships exclusively for women based entirely on their gender. Or funding allocated to female entrepreneurs based entirely on their gender, which are not available for men.

My comment had a wee bit of sarcasm in it.

Long day. Should have spotted it.

Myself being male I have seen such like. It generally doesn't bother me.

But going into mammy mode, occasionally it worries me about my 3 boys.

It's a bit like principal skinner. Am I wrong? No, it's the kids.

I don't think I'm too far out of touch, but gradually I'm wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The annoying subject of the email is what rightly annoyed you.

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the gender of their customer facing staff. It might even benefit you.

I think a good mix of sexes is great. My previous role was predominantly male. My new role would be 30/70 towards female.

Works grand as we're mostly older.

But when graduates or work experience people come in, I want to strangle them. I known auld man shakes fist at cloud.

For the most part they're infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,266 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Because women are less likely to be involved in heavy manual labour they inevitably have less job opportunities open to them, especially for younger girls at the entry level.

Recruitment is a **** job in a **** industry, if you had a choice you wouldn't do it. If you have the choice to go stacking bricks or driving a forklift instead then thats what any sensible lad will do.

Young girls have less choices, so are more likely to find themselves in **** jobs like recruitment. Thats why you see so many more of them in that industry.

There is little more to it than that, mostly just young girls trying to get a start somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Was there a kitchen in the background?

Seriously. Manual labour. Stacking bricks. Good luck to ya when you're 40 let alone 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Even lads know that's a fools game. Any of the good tradesman get out of the manual game age 40 to focus on the office side of things.

Because women are less likely to be involved in heavy manual labour they inevitably have less job opportunities open to them, especially for younger girls at the entry level.

Seriously? Cause I'd say the wide range of traditional roles which favour women easily make up any difference there.. from child care, nursing, general cooking roles, etc.

Recruitment is a **** job in a **** industry, if you had a choice you wouldn't do it. If you have the choice to go stacking bricks or driving a forklift instead then thats what any sensible lad will do.

Recruitment is essentially sales... and depending on the company you work for, you can do very well for yourself. Far better than someone busting their balls on a construction site competing with others. I'd say a recruiter at 50 is still competitive against a 20 year old, whereas, in construction... you're falling behind rather quickly unless you've managed to break into management or a technical role.

Young girls have less choices, so are more likely to find themselves in **** jobs like recruitment. Thats why you see so many more of them in that industry.

Rubbish. Young girls have the same options that young boys do. The choice is there.

Hell, a woman can enter the building trade if she wishes (I know two women who entered through engineering, and operate the building sites now as project managers).

You see more women in recruitment or HR because of the focus on "soft skills" which is seen as something that women are more suitable towards. No different from more women being primary school teachers, in child care, customer service, or dozens of professions that involve dealing with people. Gender based stereotypes abound when it comes to skills, and career suitability.

In Asia, you'll often find women working alongside men on construction sites engaging in the same physical labour. The difference is social conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,266 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sure lads. Young girls in their early 20's with no qualifications are just flooding into garages and building sites.

They don't at all take sales or admin roles in places like call centres or recruitment agencies as an alternative.

Whether construction is a good career or not has **** all to do with it, I am talking young people with little experience or qualifications and where they tend to gravitate to.

But sure, whatever, you see a lot of girls in their twenties working in recruitment because it is what they dreamed about as kids. Dead on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spontindeed

I noticed the same with a lot of HR administrators of multinational corporations here also - the HR profession has become very feminized, just like the teaching profession. I believe our "woke" justice minister Helen McEntee has a deep seated political agenda to have this whole gender ideology on the workplace. All jobs should be based on merit, not gender. Take my advice: avoid recruitment agencies and just apply directly to employers because a lot of these recruitment agencies also advertise fake job adverts in order to hoover up as many CV's as they can because this data is really valuable to them.

As a 33 year old guy, I'd also advise you to avoid applying to any employer who has a feminized workforce because usually it's a telltale sign that career progression would be held back by this gender ideology. Also, I heard (from a male recruitment manager I know) that companies are increasingly under pressure to pay Men less than Women and to no longer offer permanent contracts. Never accept a job offer like that. That's why it's good to ask fellow male employees more about their salary/wages to find out if the company is offering you a poor starting point. Men will usually tell you a lot more than Women do. Even if you've already signed an employment contract and find out that you're being paid less than others, just leave your job right away. I did this recently and the company was fuming I didn't give them any notice!! But it was their fault because I found out they offered me a contract that was €5,000 less than another colleague with similar qualifications. They scrambled to fill my vacated post which probably cost the company a little more than could've offered me in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Thinly veiled "I'm an important career man" thread 🤭

To thine own self be true

Whether construction is a good career or not has **** all to do with it, I am talking young people with little experience or qualifications and where they tend to gravitate to.

And girls have a range of traditional options which aren't generally as accepting of male candidates, and would easily make up the difference in losing out on construction jobs..

Little point continuing with this if you're going to ignore that.

Why don't guys apply for recruitment/HR roles? Awful area to work in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Certainly not a stock photo. I would rather not specify the company as certain people are nutters and also don't want to drive views to their site.

I am fully aware that certain roles are dominated by women such as HR and recruitment but it is odd to see an entire small company filled with women. There is a whole other conversation about recruitment agencies having no idea about the jobs they are recruiting for. Recruitment agents have their place but generally are kind or parasites. Contract work in particular is difficult to get without an agent.

• Advertisement

The point is there are males in these jobs so it is odd to see a company where there are none. Many of the big recruitment agencies were/are own and set-up by men.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,788 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It would be odd to see a large company that was entirely one sex.

But quite normal to see it in a small niche industry company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I saw a female binman yesterday.

Recruitment is not a niche industry and roughly 10 staff by the looks of it. Been dealing with agencies for decades and it is noticeably odd to have all female staff.

It is odd, you should get in contact with them over the phone and ask why are there no men working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Seriously? That'd be a rarer spotted female binmanperson. Get a photo next time.

Can't see why a woman can't do the bins at all, but they just don't seem to be so keen on that line of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I know a girl who was a tiler but moved on to drive a bin lorry. Recently, she has started doing truck deliveries to shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Indeed! I saw her tiling work before, and it was excellent!

• Advertisement

There are workplaces where there are only men - certain jobs draw only men or only women (and yes I know, men are overwhelmingly more likely to do the more difficult, physical jobs). I wouldn't be looking for offence in it.

Men don't seem to be as interested in working in recruitment.

Advertisement