Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free parking for Electric Vehicles in Sligo

• 27-07-2022 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading on Waterford Council website that all council owned parking in the area is free of charge to Electric Vehicles, and Hybrid's (if they are charging) and i thought what a great idea/incentive so was going to ask if Sligo County council would consider doing it as well

- but what department to contact would it be does anyone know - roads department would it be anyone know?

https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/departments/roads-parking/parking.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free parking for electric vehicles

As a promotion to encourage the use of electric vehicles, Waterford City and County Council introduced free parking for electric vehicles. Electric vehicles (excluding hybrids) can park free of charge without displaying a parking ticket in any Council operated parking space in Waterford, Dungarvan and Tramore in compliance with parking time limits in the area. Electric and Hybrid vehicles can park free of charge while charging at any charging point. All vehicles must be moved once the charge is complete.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why is that a good idea? Why shouldn't EV owners pay for clogging up towns and cities like every other driver. They take up the same space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

because even so they are taking up the same space they are not polluting the air in the towns and cities directly around pedestrians in the towns and cities like most other forms of transport - plus , just as another incentive / sweetner to help converting more people to drive cleaner quieter cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭thebiglad

And probably spend longer at the charger as its free meaning the next user cannot get access...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barangutan

This, 100%.

What the council need to be doing is incentivizing and encouraging other modes of active travel in the town. Bus, bicycle, walking etc. If anything the cost of short-term parking should be increased for all cars within the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I can't really see it having any bearing when it comes to making a decision about buying an EV.

However I'm sure EV owners would welcome the move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I asked this back in May, sent an email to Sligo Co Co (info@ emai address) as I genuinely was unusure if we should be paying or not. Wer had always paid up to that point but I just wondered as other places are free to park and charge. Someone from the Finance dept (😂) wrote back to tell me yes you must always pay to park when using a charging bay.

ah right thanks for that, it sounds like i will be wasting my time contacting them then just to get the same kind of answer. sounds good what waterford are doing though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well we won't go down the pollution comparisons as that gets complicated. But the idea of pay parking is 1) revenue for local authority 2) reduce congestion 3) encourage use of walking, cycling, public transport 4) rotate parking spaces so others can use them.

On all above grounds, EVs are just as liable for parking charges as conventional vehicles.

if a cyclist gets incentives / sweeteners of bicycle lanes because they are coming into town and not polluting it then in the same way maybe a EV could get some incentives of bringing in clean transport to towns by free parking and be able to drive in bus lanes etc -

Advertisement