Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe climate change is the most urgent global emergency

Options
  • 23-07-2022 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

In your opinion and as understood by you, is climate change the top global emergency

Do you believe climate change is the most urgent global emergency 186 votes

Yes
    46% 86 votes
    No
    53% 100 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Absolutely. What we've seen so far isn't even the tip of the iceberg. It's only going to get worse without drastic action.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I agree entirely but expect the poll to say the opposite. Boards seems to have a very strong global warming denying element.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Climate change concerns me, but not nearly as much as the more widespread ecological and environmental changes and rate of extinctions that have become ever more rapid. Now climate change impacts that of course, but these changes have been going on even before the climate started shifting. The planet has lived through a few mass extinctions. A couple of which it barely survived. We're living through another one and have been for 20,000 years, but again it's sped up in the last 2000 and really sped up in the last 200. An upward shift of a couple of degrees will be a game changer, but the loss of diversity will make that ten times worse.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Oh, absolutely. Parts of this place are toxic cesspits now. You see all sorts of flippant comments about not being enjoy the weather and other such nonsense. I'd frankly be a bit freaked out if the people pushing anti-vaxx, racism and all that guff started talking sense about climate change.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

absolutely, we re already starting to see crop failures occurring, and regions which are quickly becoming uninhabitable, so get ready.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Greed, selfishness, ignorance, short term thinking, wilful ignorance,....

Biggest emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Yeah, but after the war on Ukraine. What's going on in Putin's head? We could be in for more of a surprise. War is like a hobby to him.

You might want to have a word with this guy then 😄

"Bill Gates has joined a £3bn bidding war to buy the world’s largest private jet services company just as he prepares to publish his new book 'How To Avoid A Climate Disaster'.

According to a study by academics at Lund University, Gates is one of the world's biggest "super-emitters" due to his regular private jet travel.

Gates, who says in the foreword to his forthcoming book that he has spent a decade investigating the causes and effects of climate change, did not respond to requests for comment about his views on the carbon footprint of private jets."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...of course its a hobby, hes probably on the cluster b spectrum, whereby creating mayhem is fun!

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The climate is always changing. Remember the ice age? A few sunny days and it's an emergency, it's called summer. It happens once a year.

If the big guys pushing this agenda from up top don't actually follow the rules themselves, it's obvious they're not really concerned about it.

Nice excuse for more taxes and restrictions, though 👍🏻 Latest "emergency" for the plebs 😄

A linkdump and a snide comment followed by more snide comments. A perfect example of what I was describing above.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Do you have to be one or the other? What about if you agreed that we need to look after our planet but recognise the incesent scaremongering by the media and blatant oportunism from governments etc using said alarmism to eventually rob people blind.

I've just proved to you that the people pushing this agenda don't practice what they preach. At all. Perhaps they know something you don't?

Al Gore also made a fortune out of this "climate emergency". Alas, his doomsday predictions didn't happen. They never do...

Feel free to pay your "carbon tax" or whatever, but don't be mad at me for simply pointing out that you're getting duped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Covid emergency, brexit, climate emergency, ukraine emergency, housing crisis, cost of living crisis...

Fùck off with your emergencies and leave me the fùck alone....

Post edited by StevenToast on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

You sir, wrote the book on snide remarks. Here's a novel idea for you, make an actual counter argument, discredit the link etc. Anything except your usual one or two line snide remarks or call for "evidence please" that we have come accustomed from you on Boards.

Curious, how do they disprove what Michael O'Leary said on the late late a number of years ago. I think he said all the carbon emitted from leave fall is next to nothing compared to that emitted from man made sources.

You posted a snide comment and dumped a link. You've proved nothing. Some people are hypocrites, shocker.

I'm being duped. Evidence please.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably worth making a distinction between urgent and important. yes, the most important global issue, but certainly not being treated with the urgency it deserves.

and the 'we can't prove it's anthropogenic, so no point in doing anything about it' argument is farcical. because by the time you've proved it to the satisfaction of the sceptics, it'll be way too late. probably already is.

believing it's anthropogenic and being wrong about it is a hell of a different propostion to believing it's not anthropogenic, and being wrong.

You mean the wealthy folk that have the means to ride it out while the rest of us are killing each other over resources?

A compelling argument.

Not just him. All puppet politicians and "world leaders" flew in (many on private jets) to the COP Climate Conference to discuss how your carbon footprint is causing a problem. These same people will try to implement a carbon tax on you, whilst continuing to live however they want themselves.

Again, tell me, what do you know that they obviously don't? Or, are you just willing to pay your "carbon tax" and accept further restrictions to offset their behaviour and lifestyles?

Yes, I would consider that being duped, or at least having a slave-like mindset.

People are only talking about this so much lately as the media are pushing it heavily. As I said, the latest "crisis" for the plebs. Thankfully, a lot of folk are starting to see through it, as evidenced by similar recent threads.

No evidence. Just the same old tired, Trumpster twaddle.

H. H. Asquith

To be honest, I think we're too far gone already.

As hard as scientists work our data always seem to be several years behind.

Even countries/companies that are on target to half their emissions by 2030 are nowhere near ambitious enough.

Yeah, the same people who repeatedly say there's going to be a major food crisis, simultaneously impose restrictions on farmers and food production because of the "climate emergency".

Hmm... 🤔

What's Trump got to do with anything? Are you one of those "Left v Right", "Trump v Biden" type folk? 😄

My friend, none of these politicians (including Trump and Biden), self-called "elites", or hypocritical "climate activists" give a damn about you. Now go pay them your carbon tax 😄👍🏻

Data as plural? Good man!

Seriously, yes. I don't think it's so much about scientists as it is about the general public. We cannot go on as we have been. This is simple fact. Radical change is needed and the public won't be up for this unless they think it is important. Of course, there will always be those who spread disinformation but the good news is that most people acknowledge the problem. Even the mainstream right has shifted to dithering and bad faith tactics instead of pretending that climate change is a hoax.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I genuinely don't know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If it isn't the most urgent emergency then what is? Nuclear war could sneak up on us very quick but very hard to gauge the threat level

Advertisement