Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The decline continues

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

dohboy wrote: »
    Maybe don't get your news from a radio station's website then? Or at least have zero expectations if you do.

So set your sights low and you won't be disappointed. Is that it?

dohboy wrote: »
    Maybe don't get your news from a radio station's website then? Or at least have zero expectations if you do.
    I never said i got my news from a radio station website. Most local papers are the same, very little news, a lots of political press releases from TD's. "X TD welcomes Y development" . And press releases sent in by organisations . They don't even bother to call the organisation and interview him/her about his press release.

I have seen another lately. Copy and paste a press release and put their byline on it. And yet another that has a one line sentence introducing a press release and then the press release in quotes

X TD said he welcomes funding for Y project "full press release" and say it is by one of their writers. Pathetic

I think this might fit in here. The newspaper printing plant in Kells is to close.

"The plant produces editions in Ireland for the Sunday Times and Irish Sun, which are owned by News UK & Ireland. It also prints editions for other newspaper publishers, including the Irish Daily Mail and the Financial Times"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Interesting development over at Business Post where they've just bought Red C, the pollsters.

Someone there seems to be able to look way over the trees. Fair dues to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see the Indo have this clip on their website, yet its 6 years old. Way to go. Do they employ someone to trawl the internet for stories or clips?

https://www.independent.ie/videos/why-do-you-have-euro-in-ireland-american-presenter-shocked-when-learning-ireland-doesnt-use-english-pounds-40906556.html

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

Journalism ain't what it used to be. The number of typos alone (in books as well as newspapers) is really shocking but probably a reflection of the reduction in staffing levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Interesting article throwing light on the issue discussed upthread of whether it is worthwhile for British newspapers without Irish editions to distribute in the Irish market

The i is cutting its price to €1 in a bid to attract 'price sensitive' customers. Commentator points out that the Daily Mail can justify circulating the title in Ireland by piggybacking on its existing distribution network...

Big to-do at Times/Sunday Times Ireland

Almost a dozen journalists, including some of its best-known writers, are set to depart the Sunday Times Ireland and Times Ireland amid a cost-slashing restructuring of the news publisher’s operations described as “brutal” by staff.

Wonder will it still be worth the €3-whatever a go when all that is done & dusted...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement

Had missed that they already announced this

So presumably their trumpeted 'digital strategy' is now in tatters and their entire 'strategy' for the Irish market involves charging a big wodge for the (presumably now skimpier) Sunday edition...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭jmcc

Makes sense. Digital subs for a daily version would be hard to sell and retain agains the IT and the Indo. They are Irish focused and this is their primary market. The weekend digital version might be easier to market but the weekend print edition may continue to be the main seller for a while yet.

Regards...jmcc

I'm not sure. If you're someone who wants a big wodge of content for 'leisure reading' of a weekend, are you likely to prefer that in print or digital form? Plus if you're otherwise occupied on a particular Sunday you can skip that print version.

I wonder is this mass exodus of staff going to kick in straight away. If so we're going to be getting a pretty shoddy product in return for our 4 quid for the next while until they recruit replacements and get their act back together.

The source added that “people are confused as to how they’re going to put out a paper”, given the scale of the redundancies.

A print edition is easier to share among multiple readers who may not want to use a tablet or laptop to read it. Losing the editors is not a good thing. Columnists are not a major loss by comparison.

Regards...jmcc

Little sign of the upheaval at ST in today's edition: usual amount of Irish content, departing Stephen O'Brien and Denis Walsh all over it. Looks like they might be able to manage the 'transition'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think i saw its the last edition for at least David Walsh, so should become apparent in the next week or two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm sure I saw a stat some years ago that every single printing op in the country - Smurfit/Newscorp (gone), INM (now gone with that closure and closing/selling Citywest etc before it), Crosbie/SBP Webprint and the Irish Times - could have printed every single daily paper on one of their plants. There was that much excess capacity; and that was with much higher circulations.

We're now down to two of those - and far less papers being printed. There are also still regional printing ops outside of those big two.

Who did Newscorp move to for their print requirements here; and who does the Reach titles (and the Guardian/Observer who use Reach in the UK)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

News Corp moved to the ex-INM City West site - except for The Times which was already in Portadown

The Guardian/Observer are at the Irish Times

The Mirror left the Celtic Media plant in Navan a few years ago and moved to the Irish Times. The Navan plant is now also closing.

The Express and the Star are currently in Newry

Post edited by eguiney on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

More job cuts at Mediahuis. "Big changes on the way". Time to say goodbye to The Herald and some of the regionals?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/03/28/irish-independent-publisher-plans-voluntary-redundancies/

Seems that Mediahuis is looking at a Digital first strategy with those recent comments on RTE about ceasing print in about seven years. If Mediahuis is talking about this now, how bad can things be for other newspaper publishers?

Regards...jmcc

You need only look at the mistake ridden regional papers to realise just how poor the product now is, presumably for economic reasons. How many full time staff on your average regional now, I wonder, and are they are all quadruple-jobbing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

I make a token gesture each month to the ABC's - my lack of enthusiasm stems from the numbers becoming increasingly worthless!

However, maybe the decline is really continuing - dmgMedia have not issued a cert for the Mail or Mail on Sunday for April - thus far. If they have withdrawn, perhaps it will accelerate to abandonment of the ABC certification altogether.

(no - I was too quick to judge! Published today 18/05)

C

Post edited by IRE60 on

Updated sales figures for the Indo after many years.

https://archive.is/QO6i8

"The Sunday Independent is now selling just over 102,000 copies, down from 143,000 at the beginning of 2020. The Sunday World was down to just under 75,000 from nearly 110,000 in the same period. The Irish Independent from Monday to Friday had average sales of barely more than 30,000, down from 46,000, while the Saturday edition had fallen from 91,000 to 64,000."

Such a huge drop in sales. No wonder Mediahuis say they will be digital-only by 2030.

• Advertisement

Seemingly a load of 'newsagents' round Dublin city centre have stopped selling newspapers and magazines

Seemingly the move relates to issues with delivery charges that it may be possible to address but still a pretty ominous development for the industry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That delivery charge stinks of cartel.

"It means an “overwhelming majority” of news retailers are being charged in excess of €6,500 per year just to receive papers and magazines".

Wow! With newspaper sales down about 80% from peak - how many retailers can justify paying €6,500 for the sake of a few sales - and using up shelf space?

Aldi and Lidl stopped selling newspapers a while ago. Some Mace stores have stopped too. Who's next?

Death by a thousand cuts here. How many daily newspapers will there be in 2025?

I've seen newspapers on sale in the local Lidl so it may not be all Lidl stores. Those Indo figures above are quite shocking. If its figures are down that much, how far have the IT's sales fallen?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

You can bet that the Irish Times newspaper sales are down 80-90% from peak too. Digital subs are obviously somewhat compensating.

Interesting that Lidl are picking and choosing which shops to cease newspaper sales in.

Post edited by JTMan on

Lidl tends to be clever with its marketing. There is also an Aldi and another large store all within two hundred metres of each other. Aldi stopped selling newspapers some time ago.

Not sure about the IT's digital subs compensating. It never publishes specifics on the subs such as discounts, breakdowns by period or non-renewal rates. The Sindo/Indo seem to be in the same position on digital subs but Mediahuis seems to have a clearer idea of what it wants to achieve.

The IT has always had problems getting to grips with digital publishing and paywalls. The front page of its website is a mess and it looks like a viewspaper rather than a newspaper. That Johnson quotation about orginality always comes to mind. The Indo always seems to be more focused on news but uses screenspace more effectively.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭riddles

I contacted the Irish Times a few times with feedback on why I stopped buying their product. I got no reply which is fair enough no obligation there really. I found their content had degenerated into nothingness. I guess they are trying to connect to something new but not really knowing what that new really is. In the 80s - 90s there was always an ongoing political crisis of some sort covered intensively by radio and newspapers.

Now a general apathy in the public about the government and associated structures to actually do anything about the problems we have has turned people off reading or listening about it. People gravitate to online sources where they know they can get confirmation of their own views and be active participants in that discourse.

Post edited by riddles on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Is there a list of the shops that don't sell newspapers in Dublin City anymore published online?

Would places like Easons and all of the supermarkets in Dublin City Centre still sell newspapers and magazines on their shelves to their customers?

Going from the figures that is being reported in the article; I would have assumed Centra, which is part of Musgraves who also own Supervalu, would also still continue to sell newspapers to customers in Dublin City Centre. The newsagents who are not selling the newspapers there anymore are the smaller independent one off shops that are not owned by a corporate retail business.

I wouldn't be surprised in seeing this trend of independent newsagents who no longer sell the national newspapers being mirrored right across the country. If we continue to see better broadband connections like increased use of Fibre and 5G connections going live within more locations in rural Ireland over the next few years; I would say that the physical newspaper in that scenario would not be able to survive that battle of being a once dominant form of media anymore. The physical newspaper would just become completely irrelevant in that part of the country.

You would just see what is being mirrored in Dublin CC with physical newspapers being sold in supermarkets and in bookshops like Easons in Rural Ireland from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Physical news media have put up a brave battle... but they are going the same way as the phone box I'm afraid. I never buy a physical newspaper or magazine.

Also physical books.... How come practically every new book is a bestseller?

I can only assume you have to only sell a hundred or soo, to claim the "bestseller" tag (on that particular day) that's if there's even a proper way of ascertaining bestsellers 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Physical book sales have actually held up pretty well. EReaders are an odd experience for lots of people, even those totally happy to do read short form (news) on phones instead

For a small market, Ireland can be fairly active. Promotion helps with getting a book on the bestsellers lists but the necessary sales are linked to the market size. Easons have a weekly bestseller list that is interesting. Chick Lit is a very strong market along with self-help books. Many publishers do a print run and also have an electronic version on Amazon. Print sales might be slow but it is possible to run promotions on Amazon that can increase sales. Amazon also lists a book's rank in various categories so it is possible to see which are bestsellers or at least those that sell well.

I'd read between fifty and sixty books a year. Most of them would be e-books. The advantage of e-books is that the shop is always open and delivery is instant. Print bookshops are finding it hard to compete. Most book publishers have adapted but newspaper publishers in Ireland tend to be behind the curve. The IT has always been a bit clueless in that respect but its quality has declined. It is now more of a viewspaper than a newspaper. Real journalism is expensive so filler from the opinionaters helps pad the space between adverts.

The feedback loop in online advertising is also hitting print advertising hard. I remain completely cynical about digital subs replacing print sales for newspapers. Not only is Digital a different market to Print, how people read is different.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Shan Doras

The newspapers still jacked up prices despite the abolition of the 9% vat

Advertisement