Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many are on your block list?

Options
  • 20-07-2022 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

As the title says how many are on your block list? I think 5 or 6 on mine atm. Such a pita that the quote function shows them

How many are on your block list? 36 votes

1-2
    36% 13 votes
    3-4
    16% 6 votes
    5-6
    2% 1 vote
    too many to count
    44% 16 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

None. Zero.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Same here.

I have been very haughtily informed that I've been added to one very recently though. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There was a couple on mine from waaaay back but, I unblocked them as even if they were chatting utter BS? It was better not to silo myself in an echo chamber.

Debate and discussion should be an exchange of ideas and opinion. I've come to think that if I don't agree with someone? I'll listen/read what they have to say and see if it makes me reassess my own position. Rather than sticking my fingers in my ears and ignoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Zero.

Because I'm over 10 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I'm sorry I can't edit the pole to include 0, I can only edit my post. Ye have more restraint than I do. I have 0 tolerance for bullshit. I get that what I consider bullshit isn't the same as others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Zero

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭HBC08

Zero simply because I don't know how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

None like most other posters on this thread :).

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

It's not about disagreeing - it's about not wanting to see people goad, sneer, troll, borderline bully... and get away with it. But I've only ever blocked one person on my last account, and it didn't really work because they were being quoted so much anyway, and it affected the flow of the thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Oops did I tell you that? I didn't mean to...

Just kidding 🤣!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Blocklist won't stop any of that. It will happen and even if you have someone undertaking those behaviours blocked?

If they are quoted you still see the post. The current boards "block list" falls down on quotes.

Did someone say something? 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

only a handful, most of whom have either deleted their accounts or been banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭Xander10

none

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

None, although I was thinking of making the OP my first for not adding 'Zero' as an option in the poll. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

None. I want to know what my arch-enemies have to say :D

edit: typo

Post edited by AllForIt on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Not sure anymore since the site changed but it used to be 2/3 active accounts. Not because I wanted an echo chamber or not to have my views challenged, but just there was some people who just posted either constant rubbish, stuff I found incredibly distasteful, or openly admitted to posting in bad faith and this was a way of remembering who they were and saving me the time of reading their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Darth Melkor

Zero

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Zero.

Most posters who are serially annoying eventually end up getting themselves banned anyway.

And it's a good general rule to completely avoid the current affairs forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm confused why is this thread full of empty posts.

Mine has about ten permanent residents.

There have been more, but they end up getting banned pretty quickly.

I don't regret blocking any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Zero, I don't believe in blocking people on sites unless there's some serious issue such as death threats, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Oh I took the question as black listing people IRL, not onlin

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ThePentagon

There's a block list?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

None

There's even an ignored poster on this thread.

Ignore the 100 user limit, wait for an icon to show as 'Closed'. Remove off your ignore list. Add the next gob sh|te you want to ignore, by entering their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I have one one blocked but I still end up manually clicking on his posts and getting angry so there isn't much point. I'm not sure that ignore lists work well on Internet forums particularly those using a flat/inline format.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

To work properly it would have to block posts with quotes of that blocked user.

People replying to troll baiters creates so much spam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

None.

On a different forum years back, I blocked a few but you'd see them popping up in quotes or stirring conversation that I wouldn't be able to follow. It actually made it more disruptive.

The best thing to do is stop and breathe for a few secs before replying to them.

Advertisement