Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah pretty good, suffers from that annoying lack of lighting that some shows do for style. Think it would have been a lot more tense with only 6 episodes but 8 still satisfying enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm 5 episodes in to Hacks and so far I don't see what all the fuss is about. The characters aren't likeable and it's not particularly funny either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Also found this about Hacks, a severe lack of humour in it. Stopped about there and didn't go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I found the first season of Hacks decent and only really liked Deborah. Thought the second season was a big improvement; I found it funnier and warmed to the characters much more. I'd say if you're at the halfway point of S1 to persist with it. But if you're really hating the characters, give it a miss.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Tokyo vice is an excellent series, think you need a starplayerz subscription for it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Watching Clarkson's Farm again, what a great show and Kaleb is a cracking guy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hopefully that's the end of Bond. No need for a new actor. Let it rest in peace now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It will be back in a few years, zero chance they are going to stop making them, they are still hugely popular and profitable. I know the film's are of hugely variable quality.

Always interesting to see who they pick to play him. Watching Slow Horses I think Jack Lowden could be a really good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Just finished watching the boys, one of my favourite series of all time, savage stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Watched Birds of Prey with the Harley Quinn tag line movie, A pretty dumb flick! the compliment I can give it is it shades Justice League and Suicide Squad which were all kinds of rubbish.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead plays the most interesting character but it wasn't until like the last third she entered the fray and by then I'd concluded it wasn't up to much and even at that she plays a girl who was left an orphan after her family is murdered who then trains to her adult years to become a bold natured vigilante (I think I may have seen this one before like!).

The Birds of Prey are very much the supporting cast so the title of the picture is even a misfire.

The casting of Margot Robbie as Harley Q you cannot argue with if alone for all the Halloween outfits based on her potrayal but this is seriously a shocking outing for her, not all her fault of course whoever came up with those monologues/narration that was either bland or outright annoying, bloody hell!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I thought Birds of Prey was one of the better comic book outings of recent years. Its actually fun and has a sense of individual style, as opposed to the generic grey look of most of the others. The story is good too and if anything Harley is sidelined more than the other characters. I'm pretty sure the original title was just Birds of Prey, it's the Harley Quinn bit that got added in after because execs thought they needed it to attract an audience, but all it did was confuse things.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,757 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, I loved Birds of Prey, reminded me a lot of Tank Girl - a proper over the top fun comic movie.

I didn’t expect much from it, and it was a very pleasant surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Caquas

The Senator is an excellent dramatisation of the Chappaquiddick incident.

Few people in Ireland under the age of 50 know about this incident but it ended the prospect of a second Kennedy in the White House. Ted Kennedy challenged Jimmy Carter in 1980 and, though he conceded the nomination, Kennedy's speech at the Convention was transformative. In the eyes of many Democrats, Ted Kennedy became the greatest "mighta, shoulda, coulda" of American politics, if only he hadn't missed that bridge in Chappaquiddick. If Kennedy, not Reagan, had got to the White House in the 1980s, American would have been a very different place and we mightn't have had to wait for Bill Clinton to get the Good Friday Agreement. He was also the only man who could treat Haughey like a schoolboy.

So many Irish people think they understand American politics, and especially the Kennedys, but they have very blinkered notions and a weak grasp on American history. This movie doesn't answer the key questions but it gives a wonderful flavour of that extraordinary summer of 1969. Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon the day after Chappaquiddick. Then came the Manson murders and Woodstock and the British Army in Northern Ireland and so much else.

^ if you watch For All Mankind, Kennedy does become the president, and the IRA are successful in their attempt to assassinate Thatcher in Brighton, and Clinton loses his election to a woman. No update on the peace process as of mid S3, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Anyone seen The James May series - our Man in Italy yet?

Watchable?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Terminal list very very watchable. 7.8/10 imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Me and missus watched and we enjoyed it. We did enjoy the Japan one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭brookers

I watched Absentia and really enjoyed it, I find I get really into the characters and almost feel a bit lost when the series is over, Emily Byrne, Stana Katic is so pretty and lovely smile and I really liked her colleague, cal Isaac. Same thing happened me with Homeland, was devastated when is was over as I really loved the character of Peter Quinn. Thought there was something very kind about him. Watching Terminal List now. very good. Funny how you can become so attached to people who are not real.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Watched House of Gucci, great cast and a fascinating story loosely based on the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

Haven’t seen his new one yet but the Japan one was very enjoyable, James May is a very likeable person and funny i could watch him in anything.

Extremely late to this but I watched Palm Springs tonight and really enjoyed it. It's really funny, and sweet, and is only 91 minutes long!

Everything Must Go with Will Ferrell is a dose of black humour.

Loosely based on a Raymond Carver short story, a man’s life falls apart and he is reduced to sleeping on his front lawn surrounded by his stuff. Not fully realised and Hollywood always pulls its punches but an engaging story with some effective moments.

apple tv, not prime, but this is one of my favourite ever shows. Worth a month or two of apple tv to binge it. And there is a series 4 coming. Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭dublin49

Watching Mr Robot,Im sure it was covered way back on the thread but in case anyone is looking for an engrossing series I would give it a thumbs up,complicated enough ,genius coder with mental health issues is involved in conspiracy to destroy capitalism.Great characters led by Rami Malek who recently played Freddie Mercury.Lots of plot twists and kids tell me it only gets better as we are on series 2 and 3&4 to go.

The three Hobbit movies are now on Prime and I ploughed through them without much pleasure. Although technically impressive, these movies are not a patch on LOTR because the central quest lacks a compelling purpose to drive the narrative over eight hours of chasing and fighting. LOTR was driven by a compelling theme - to destroy the One Ring forever in the fires of Mordor which was the only sure way to prevent Sauron from dominating Middle Earth.

Why is Bilbo Baggins helping the Dwarves? They never did anything for the Hobbits and only concerned themselves with accumumlating more gold. In the novel, Bilbo is motivated by the promise of a share in the dragon's treasure but Bilbo hardly mentions this in the movies.

By disturbing the sleeping dragon, they unleash his fire and fury on the unfortunate inhabitants of Lake Town. All this mayhem just for greed? Killing the invincible dragon with a magic arrow seems a contrived McGuffin. The movies make much of the Dwarves desire to return to their native home but generations have passed an the whole venture seems misconceived especially because Thorin's role is totally confusing (rightful heir? future King? would-be tyrant? unreliable gangster?). The motives of the Elves are also ambiguous and confusing - Legolas turns into Badass and the love story between Tauriel and Kíli is never convincing.

The Hobbit could have been a fun prequel to LOTR if they treated it as a heist movie, mixing thrills with humour (Ocean's 11 in Middle Earth!). A two hour movie could focus on Bilbo's development, under Gandalf's tutelage, from a timid homebody to a resourceful, courageous and enterprising player in a daring escapade to steal the Dragon's gold. Instead, Bilbo reverts to timid homebody at the start of each movie so we watch him make this transition repeatedly.

Also irritating that these movies are said to be in UHD but I can only get HD. Why aren't all movies streamed in 4K or UHD nowadays and why is Ireland almost always limited to HD movies (except for the streamers' own productions)?

Post edited by Caquas on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I seem to get 4K on any movie it’s available on although technically I’m signed up to prime video through Turkey so not sure if that makes any difference. Agree on the actual movies themselves, an absolute waste of time and money

Advertisement