Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dublin On Street Parking Enforcement For Charged EVs

• 17-07-2022 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Sorry, this has probably been answered before but couldn't find it. I'm in Dublin today for the hurling final and charging at an on street AC charger to get us home again. The car is likely to be fully charged before the game is over so will be sitting plugged in for a while but no longer charging.

Looking at the Dublin city council website it says you can be clamped unless you are actively charging. Does this apply to cars that have just completed a charge or is it only a deterrent for ICEing and non plugged-in EVs?

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/parking-dublin-city-centre/electric-vehicle-charging

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

See what the sign says for parking times. If I'm honest I don't think the average clamper would know if your vehicle was charging or fully charged (presuming you are actively charging and not blocking the charger because you drive an EV!!).

If it's free on street parking you are grand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes.

Depending on where your parking, you may have to pay parking fees plus the charge fee.

Dublin City Clampers (The Private Company) can clamp you for one of 2 reasons :

1. Parking fee not paid.
    2. Not actively charging.

I cannot confirm if they actually check if the car is charging to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you have the functionality you can drop the car charging amps down and therefore it will take longer to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Redlim

Cheers, we're still near the car so will get a new parking ticket before we head off and hope for the best. I stopped the charging for a while and will reactivate again soon so that it'll be charging during most of the game. Fingers crossed for both the game and the car!

BTW, I called ESB networks and they said it's ok to be connected to the charger for up to 10 hours (even if not charging during all of that time), but I'd obviously need to obey the local parking requirements.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The eCars AC chargers will show a blue light when your still connected, from a clampers point of view it's going to be very difficult to tell if you have finished charging or are actively charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

Typically it's pay parking in most city centre electric car charging spots. Some may be limited to maximum 3 hours by the parking meter only issuing tickets up to 3 hours long. It's probably too late for you today but some people recommend parking in heuston station (free parking while charging in Irish rail) and getting the tram to city then walking or his to croke park. The esb ecars chargers in city centre tend to be very busy, crazy high pay parking with clamp and tow away enforced.

Normally I would recommend charging before arriving in Dublin in case you cannot get a charge while there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I always advise to plug in on the way too.

Or grab a charger outside the busy zones that don’t charge on Sunday’s. Greek Street, Finglas Road for example and all within walking distance to CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The light is steady whilst charging, and blinks when charging is complete, but the car is still plugged in.

Not sure if the clampers would act upon this info, but it is obvious when an EV is finished charging.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The one I regularly use looks like it stays steady when complete. It's one of the newer units, it's possible they don't all work the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The new blue ones function this way, but the "legacy CPs" that are 22kW SCP all function slightly differently.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. All worked out perfect in the end.

Some great tips you've given me for future reference and hopefully useful to others also.

* Free parking on Greek Street, Finglas Road

* Free parking in Heuston station while charging

* Top up before getting to Dublin

@slave1 I'm driving an e-Niro and do have the option to reduce the charging amps. I actually tried this but it stayed at 11kW at the eCars AC charge point. Could the charge point override this setting? It has worked fine previously when using the granny charger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

dunno, I have that functionality in my Tesla too but I've never used it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭innrain

From the car menu itself. Tried it both before and after starting a charge but neither method worked for some reason. It definitely worked when using the granny cable recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have a Hyundai EV, my car has 2 menus, one for granny charging speed and a different page for public charging/full power home speed. You might need the setting saved before plugging in, the charge point should not be able to over-ride the power the car consumes. Typically the max power is limited by car, or cable or charger or all 3, but lowest value is used. If the car decides to charge slowly that's done by the car.

Advertisement