Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Immersion element gone a month after PV Solar with Eddi installed

Options
  • 14-07-2022 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My Eddi tells me that my immersion has reached maximum temperature but the water is cold. The thermostat clicks on 20 degrees so I presume that's the temperature in the tank.

I rang the installers and they tell me it happens sometimes when an element is over used - it goes. Has anyone else had this issue and is there anything to stop it happening again.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Many elements have a thermal cutout that needs to be manually reset - have you checked for this?

Often it requires opening the cap at the top so you would want to ensure it is not energised when doing that lest you whack yourself with 240V.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rainydayhere

The cap is at the back of the immersion in a very tight corner of the hot press. Bit nervous about going at it but I suppose to save the call out for the plumber I might try and clear out the press to get a better look at it. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sounds more like your temperature stat is gone and not your element, 2 minute replacement job

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

For a complete amateur how would I know ? I presume I'd still need a plumber.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you know what you're doing, you could check for continuity across the element. If that doesn't make any sense, I suggest you contact a plumber. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Thermostat probably gone. Plumber would swap it out in a few mins.

I tried taking the cap off the immersion (after turning off the power) and found a reset button which I pressed and amazingly the Eddi is back feeding the immersion again. Stupid place to put a reset button! Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭silver_sky

If it keeps popping up then the thermostat would need to be changed. I had that issue with mine recently.

Happened again after yesterdays sunshine so at least I know that it's the thermostat that needs changing. Guess I need a plumber after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Electrician can replace that, which is who I'd prefer doing the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Get them to wire a light or a clock into it as well, thats what my electrician(ish) dad did. That way you can tell if the thermostat itself is on.

Advertisement