Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

the unelected did, by not serving what they were sworn to uphold.

the supreme court has simply held...this is not in the constitution so go back to the electorate and vote on it. that must be a win for democracy?

think one of the most famous judge's on the supreme court said as much.

obama should have codified it when he had a supermajority, but never did.

*all the above caveated of course, if abortion is allowed in the constitution. is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yeah, I did say that. Now if you’d point to where I made the comparison to how safe or unsafe pregnancy and giving birth are by comparison, that’d be more useful than accusing me of driving the thread up a blind alley, which is what I was referring to. I take it as a given that you think every post I make is BS, but I don’t take that personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,632 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

obama should have codified it when he had a supermajority, but never did.

Tried to. It was initially in the Affordable Care Act.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

True enough.

Republicans in both the House and Senate unanimously refused to support the Affordable Care Act when it passed Congress in 2010. In order to pass the bill over GOP objections, Democrats needed near unanimity among their ranks, abortion remaining the biggest hurdle.

The Democratic caucus at the time had a significant number of members who opposed abortion, particularly those representing more conservative districts and states. In order to facilitate movement, House and Senate leaders agreed that the health bill should be "abortion-neutral," meaning it would neither add to nor subtract from existing abortion restrictions. Even today there is disagreement about whether the law actually expands or contracts abortion rights.

The bill passed the House in 2009 only after inclusion of an amendment by Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.), a longtime opponent of abortion. That bill included a government-sponsored health insurance plan that would have been available on all states' exchanges. Stupak's provision would have made the Hyde Amendment a permanent part of that plan. 

[...]

In the upper chamber, a compromise was ultimately reached by abortion-rights supporter Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) and a Democratic senator who opposed abortion, Ben Nelson from Nebraska. Nelson was the final holdout on the bill, which needed all 60 Democrats in the Senate to overcome the unanimous GOP opposition. The Boxer-Nelson language was a softening of the Stupak amendment but still allowed states to prohibit plans in the ACA's insurance marketplaces from covering abortion.

In addition, President Barack Obama agreed to issue an executive order intended to ensure no federal funds were used for abortions.

In the end, both sides came out unhappy. Abortion opponents wanted the Hyde Amendment guarantees in the actual legislation rather than the executive order. Abortion-rights backers say the effort constricted abortion coverage in private health plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

No one has argued that if in a particular case an abortion is unsafe it should be given. No one has said that and nor does it require abortion laws to enforce that, there are already laws around general medical practice.

Yes people have to make abortion decisions, and any decision around the framework of the law. Doesn't mean it is a smart law. Honestly at this point I have no clue what your point is as your posts seem to contradict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, in related news, Indiana is investigating the doctor (i.e., harassment by government officials) that provided the medical abortion to the 10 year old. The pregnant child was 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant. Can't terminate that pregnancy, nuh-uh.

10 years old, fortunate to be able to travel to another state, and the Doctor now getting harassed about it. This is the impact of Dobbs.

Speaking of Dobbs, a very interesting article from Slate titled "Amy Coney Barrett is in over her head" about the handmaid, highlighting her massive inability as a Justice. She's going to be a useless rubber-stamp for decades. Some of us thought this obvious from the get-go. Heck, some of her classmates signed a petition against her being nominated to the SCOTUS:

Post edited by Igotadose on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why was it lumped in with that?

He said 2 or 3 months into office that the abortion act wasn't a priority after having said the opposite while campaigning.

It looks suspiciously like the Democrats want to keep the issue alive to give themselves an identity to get votes.

No one has argued that if in a particular case an abortion is unsafe it should be given. No one has said that and nor does it require abortion laws to enforce that, there are already laws around general medical practice. 

Are we now just going to overlook the fact that politicians and abortion rights advocates in the US have since Roe v Wade benefitted from the idea of providing for abortion with the rhetoric that it is “safe, legal and rare”? That’s my point. I don’t think anyone should, and I think they behaved irresponsibly in doing so. Never mind lessons in sex education, lessons in civics education would have proven to be far more useful IMO to give people a basic understanding of the laws which govern their society, instead of promoting the idea of a right to abortion being absolute.

Yes people have to make abortion decisions, and any decision around the framework of the law. Doesn't mean it is a smart law. Honestly at this point I have no clue what your point is as your posts seem to contradict.

There’s nothing contradictory in my posts. You claimed that the law prevents a safer decision by forcing the risk of birth, and that the Government is demanding a riskier course of action. I understood what you meant, but neither the law nor Government does either of those things.

The decision in Roe v Wade wasn’t particularly smart either as it didn’t resolve anything in practice, it simply led to the last 50 years of conflict between Federal and States laws in a country of over 300m people with vastly differing opinions and beliefs in regards to abortion and the protection of human life. The right to procreate exists in the Constitution, the right to an abortion does not, it never did, and the decision in Roe v Wade while ideologically it was seen as the right thing to do at the time, it had no Constitutional foundation, least of all claiming that it could be derived from a right to privacy which limits States interference in peoples private lives, while at the same time acknowledging the States interests in when a woman becomes pregnant.

EDIT: You might be wondering why that’s important. Well when people are in desperate situations, they can be coerced into doing pretty much anything, even when it goes against everything they believe in -

https://rewirenewsgroup.com/article/2020/09/14/in-the-1970s-racism-led-to-women-being-sterilized-against-their-will-could-it-happen-again/

It was only a matter of time before control of regulation and determination of their own laws in relation to abortion was put back to each individual States legislature.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,875 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's completely pig-ignorant and disingenuous to say that abortion is not safe, when the only alternative to it - giving birth - is less safe.

Life ain't always empty.

While campaigning you don’t know how your congress will look. His congress didn’t have the votes for codifying abortion.

• Advertisement

He said it was no longer a priority a few months into office. This has nothing to do the make up of Congress.

… that would not refute that assessment at all.

Presidents don’t use their acceptance or inaugural speech to say all the promises they have to break this term because they don’t have the votes. It came back up 3 months into office to be discussed.

It was far more important to get the ACA passed and he expended a huge amount of political capital on that.

Bringing healthcare to millions of people.

At the time Roe v Wade was not under threat, we have you know who packing the court to "thank" for that.

Life ain't always empty.

What’s disingenuous is attempting to make a comparison between two different concepts that aren’t even in the same ballpark. Even if I’d never witnessed a woman giving birth, I’d still be able to understand the concept that ‘safe’, is a relative term.

It’s certainly not the first term that springs to mind after witnessing a woman giving birth, but they involve completely different risks, expectations and outcomes. As technologically advanced as medicine and science have become, transporter technology remains firmly within the realm of science fiction.

So by what Datum are you choosing to apply the relativity? Transporter Technology? 29th century Starfleet?

If so then yes, all of our modern medicine is inherently dangerous and cruel and unusual punishment.

I just don't think that conclusion gets us anywhere.

Well, how many people die from failed abortions vs. in childbirth? Numbers don't lie (and the latter results in far more deaths.) Abortion is safer than carrying a fetus to term. Full stop.

I think your rejoinder is, "You can't compare them as one is about termination of pregnancy, and the other is about leaving the pregnancy to run its term." But, they are intimately related - both begin with a pregnant person. If, in fact you were concerned about the risk of pregnancy, you'd abort right away. But, no one rightfully does that analysis.

WH citing the Affordable Care Act speak of the devil, to remind the nations pharmacies that federal law prohibits them from refusing to fill prescriptions based on pregnancy-discrimination. This includes refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control and abortion pills.

Citing provisions in the Affordable Care Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the memo argues that pharmacies that receive federal funding can’t discriminate based on their views on contraception and abortion “in regard to supplying medications; making determinations regarding the suitability of a prescribed medication for a patient; or advising patients about medications and how to take them.” The guidance includes several examples of situations that could be a legal violation, including a pharmacist refusing to fill a prescription for the abortion pill mifepristone for someone experiencing the kind of early miscarriage that the pill is used to treat.

Americans can file complaints at the Office of Civil Rights on the HHS website.

I just don't think that conclusion gets us anywhere.

I never applied any comparison in the first place, my point was that there are risks involved in abortion and the message of “safe, legal and rare” or going on about how safe abortions are, is an obfuscatory sales pitch rather than attempting to inform and educate the general public about abortion. I’d expect it of young influencers on social media -

https://www.thejournal.ie/does-vitamin-c-iburofen-mugwort-tea-papaya-cause-abortion-5807471-Jul2022/?amp=1

I don’t expect it of people in positions of authority who have a responsibility to provide information that isn’t misleading. That’s why I acknowledged that to their credit, PP does state this information on their website. It’s probably not the first result that comes up if anyone is searching for the terms “termination of pregnancy” though -

https://www.euronews.com/amp/2022/06/22/us-lawmakers-demand-action-from-google-over-fake-abortion-clinics

Bit late to find out the terms “termination of pregnancy” are relative too when it’s not the outcome the patient was expecting.

I never applied any comparison in the first place, my point was that there are risks involved in abortion and the message of “safe, legal and rare” or going on about how safe abortions are, is an obfuscatory sales pitch rather than attempting to inform and educate the general public about abortion. I’d expect it of young influencers on social media -

This is so tedious. "Safe, legal, and rare" was a statement of a goal, not an 'obfuscatory sales pitch.' What a load of anti-abortion propaganda.

Attempts to educate about abortion would be grand. Feel free to budget and drive it as part of an overall sex education program.

But, no one rightfully does that analysis.

They do, and they decide based upon what information is available to them, that the outcome is worth the risks involved. It doesn’t follow that being concerned about the risks of pregnancy means the only reasonable conclusion is an abortion, unless you ask Richard Dawkins. I wouldn’t though, because he’s an idiot.

• Advertisement

Dawkins never said that, but anti-choicers don't care about little things like facts...

Life ain't always empty.

I can agree with that: politicization can lead to misrepresented clinical information either side.

I can see why people might conflate the GOAL "safe, legal, and rare" with the actual status, but I wouldn't. And I think most patients know any time they go through any procedure, especially an invasive one, that there are nonzero risks. Whether or not they initially received obfuscation, the clinicians who are - frankly brave enough in the United States to perform these medical procedure are not the people at the last mile who will obfuscate them further, they will explain the risks, their unique medical situation, and the options (but I am happy to be corrected with evidence of abortion malpractice related to misinforming the patients).

Never said what now?

The Oxford professor posted the message on Twitter in response to a user who wrote she would be faced with "a real ethical dilemma" if she became pregnant and learned that the baby would be born with Down's syndrome.

"Abort it and try again," Dawkins tweeted in reply. "It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice." 

His comments have caused anger online and have been dismissed by charities, but he insists his views are "very civilised", tweeting: "These are fetuses, diagnosed before they have human feelings."

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-ouch-28879659.amp

Seems legit; no corrections or repudiations from Dawkins after publication that I can find.

Nothing about his inaugural speech. He said it wasn't a priority.

Had he done something about it, poor women in America wouldn't be left in the difficulties they're in.

You're not adding anything that hasn't already been said here. It was in the ACA, the Congress wouldn't accept it, it was removed. They prioritized the Affordable Care Act over the Freedom of Choice Act, yes, which Senator Obama had cosponsored. You'll find that it's not a very effective attack on Obama.

He stated he would have loved to sign the Freedom of Choice Act as his first action as President, but that clearly was never on the cards, it's not up to POTUS to sign so much as up to the accompanying Congress to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I would be pro choice but against Dawkins opinion, sounded very Scandinavian. The range of differing opinions in the pro choice side as regards when abortion is acceptable and exact time limits for abortions always weakened that side. The pro life side has an advantage that they are in the majority against abortions in all cases incest or rape be damned.

Grand so. Back to attacking Republican nutters.

??

He lacked the votes from members of his party too?

• Advertisement

As was inevitable, TX is leading a suit against the federal govt against the EO invoking federal emergency care laws to enforce medically necessary abortions.

Advertisement