Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Blacks v Ireland part III - July 16 8.05am Ireland time

• 12-07-2022 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Can the lads do it or will they be overwhelmed as so often happens in world cups?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Clever

When will teams be named? Any concerns for Ireland? Assuming same XV though Larmor would be a better option than Low

No, he wouldn't.

The criticism of Lowe's performance from last week is overblown.

He brings some things that Larmour doesn't, particularly as the conditions will likely be poorer for this game (than under the roof in Dunedin), such as his powerful carrying ability which draws in tacklers and his huge left boot. They won't (and shouldn't) drop Lowe for this Saturday.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

With Aki into the XV, I think Larmour has done enough to earn the 23 shirt. Especially considering Lowry and Earls weren't great today.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Clever

When can we expect team to be named?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭TheRona

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Ireland by 50 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Sadly, experience over the last 60 years tells me that the ABs are very unlikely to be so bad again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They won't and certainly Whitelock coming back will be significant , but New Zealand haven't really been "in control" at all across the 2 tests so far.

They had a fantastic purple patch in the 2nd quarter of the 1st game which coincided with Ireland losing all shape when Sexton went off , where they scored 20+ points.

After that though and all the way through the second test , Ireland have mostly controlled the pace of the game and looked reasonably comfortable with what NZ were bringing to bear.

We'll have to see how many changes Foster makes , Whitelock coming in and Scott Barrett moving back to 6 are probably the only ones we can be sure about. Jordan will probably come in on the wing and he might make a change in the centre , but hard to know.

For me this is a 5 point game either way - If Ireland can avoid giving New Zealand any soft scores like they did in the 1st test , I fancy Ireland here.

But it will be very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

yep they will be dirt bags like they were in the Aviva after they lost in Chicago , will all target sexton not in a clean way , would rather Larmour over lowe , lowe is not the brightest of players

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think we win by 2 scores, if Sexton stays on the field. They'll be under incredible pressure, and I think their inability to break down our defense will lead them to frustration and mistakes.

As was mentioned in a YouTube clip I was watching, it's a very similar situation to the last NZ Lion's tour. NZ one up, and then lose a match with a red card.

Let's just hope the end result isn't decided by a farcical refereeing decision at the end, as it was in 2017.

If NZ keep all their players on the pitch, they should win. They would have learnt a few lessons from the last match.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If NZ keep all their players on the pitch, they should win. They would have learnt a few lessons from the last match.

The way they have played in the last two matches. That’s a big if.

I think as you pointed out before, NZ have a much better ability to convert chances than we do. What they lack though is the ability to impose their game on us. As long as our defence doesn’t implode. I think NZ will struggle to manufacture those chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Let's just hope the end result isn't decided by a farcical refereeing decision at the end, as it was in 2017.

I thought it was just the Irish fans who moan about referees?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

There's a tiny bit of a whiff of the narrative that preceded Leinster v LAR around....like if we play our game we'll have too much for them.

Their pack won't be anything like as passive as last day. They were missing 2 of their most influential forwards in Whitelock and Savea, and they played a lot of the game with at least 1 less than us. The idea that they can't impose their game on us is laughable, as is the notion they can't breat down our defence.

I'm hopeful of giving it a good go and maybe a win, but there's a fair bit more confidence than I'm comfortable with around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

AB are hurting and by christ their sulking

Overall a very positive tour by us so far no matter the result Saturday

Let's hope lessons of 2014 and 2018 have been learnt

• Advertisement

Excuse for what? They won comfortably, they were leading by 23 points at half time and won at a canter? Some seem to have forgotten this. I know they got some lucky breaks, but they beat us well on the scoreboard and there's every chance that could happen again.

Or some watched the game not just the headlines. Apart from a 15 minute spell when they were incredibly clinical. They didn’t impose themselves, their forwards didn’t dominate us. In fact quite the opposite and another referee might have made them pay more.

You made a comparison between LAR v LEI. We didn’t play LAR twice before that game. We had no comparisons going into a one off game. We have played NZ twice now and been on top for most of both games.

If you like to have an inferiority complex that’s ok. What I see is two relatively evenly matched teams. Both capable of winning on Saturday. I would say based on what we have seen so far. Ireland have a slight advantage (very slight). If you want to believe that we’ll be lucky to win, that’s fair enough. It’s not based on the evidence of the two games so far though.

I don't think we'll be lucky to win, my post was in relation to some overly confident themed recent posts. If we win we'll have earned it, and I'm sure we'll have the scars to prove it.

Statements like they lack the ability to impose their game on us are a bit fanciful and i fear a backlash. It could be there wont be one. But their game is scoring tries out of nothing and they managed that pretty well in the first test.

The analogy stands for me, over confidence based on our form, and a belief that our gameplan will be hard to neutralise and our defence hard to breach based on one very dominant win (when they were down 2 key players in the pack). Its obviously not identical. That was the extent of the analogy.

Anyway, I'm very hopeful of a win I just don't want to get my hopes up too much and be devastated if we don't win. I'm massively impressed with the performances in the last 3 matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

There is a rugby podcaster (N.Z), ( and for the life of me ,I can't remember his name), that I have heard twice say that "Super Rugby" is not being refereed in the same way as European Club Rugby has been refereed recently.

He has been spouting for maybe a year that the International teams, that draw from Super Rugby, are going to run into a heap of **** when they meet the actual laws of the current game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Team named, Aki the only change with Earls on the bench.

15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 22 caps

14. Mack Hansen (Connacht) 5 caps

13. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 59 caps

12. Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 39 caps

11. James Lowe (Leinster) 14 caps

10. Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 107 caps CAPTAIN

9. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 19 caps

1. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 45 caps

2. Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 9 caps

3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 59 caps

4. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 32 caps

5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 45 caps

6. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 86 caps

7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 42 caps

8. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 19 caps

Replacements

16. Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 27 caps

17. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 117 caps

18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 24 caps

19. Kieran Treadwell (Ulster/Ballymena) 7 caps

20. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 29 caps

21. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 98 caps

22. Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 34 caps

23. Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 97 caps

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭septictank

Whitelock and Havili back in and RTS on the bench.

To be honest, I think NZ are poorly coached and lack the ability to impose their game on teams. As a counter attacking team, the players are still the best in the world. They are a good side poorly coached. As for Ireland, I don’t think 2 games counts as form. We haven’t been as good as we were last November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

Think we should win this on Saturday, hard to know what way NZ will respond. NZ of old you'd fear a hiding but don't think this team has it in them. Selection as expected but surprised Earls got the nod, he's has 3 poor games so far.

Advertisement