Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Botox and fillers

• 06-03-2022 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

So I've tried botox and it does very little for my already permanent frown lines unfortunately. I'm based in laois and want to get filler that is cost effective but is done safely and by an experienced professional. Beaumont are highly recommended with the use of doctors/plastic surgeons but their fees are so high. On the other hand, I'd be concerned franchises like the therapie clinic and laser clinic with trained beauticians/nurses wouldn't offer the same safety compared to other services, not trying to dis them but obviously want to avoid a massive error like becoming blind if done incorrectly. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Botox didn't work for frown lines?

Did it freeze the muscle?

As in did it eliminate movement completely but the lines were still present?

Forehead area, therapie clinic etc will normally tell you to see a plastic surgeon for that.

I think they focus more on lips, maybe marionette/nasiolabel lines?

But that may be a stretch....

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

So yes it mostly eliminated movement but line was still present. I've found mixed reviews online wih therapie clinical so would be a bit reluctant going there tbh

Yeah I just mentioned it cause some clinics can underdose slightly.

I get botox also for some forehead lines (I'm a bit of a stress head) and they don't fade until the muscle is properly "iced", zero movement.

May or may not be the case but I have what some Dr's refer to as "static lines", i.e. they're permanent regardless of whether the muscle is relaxed, but with adequately dosed botox, they disappear; with insufficient botox, insufficient results.

Obviously you've done your research cause you're aware of the dangers of filler in that area, which scares the hell out of me personally, but with a good plastic surgeon I'm sure it would be fine.

In physics we trust....

Thanks so much for responding, can I ask where do you get your botox done? Yeah filler implications are far too serious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

There are many factors that will influence the result so you need to find the right dosage and treatment plan. The injections will also be less effective if you don’t get them done in the recommended intervals. If this wasn’t recommended and followed in the past it is not surprising that you did not get the result you wanted.

• Advertisement

I had a consultation in therapie clinic and some other Dr office in Dublin but I wasn't impressed with what they were telling me, cost per unit and how many units they use.

So not sure if we can say this here but I just do my own.

I'd researched it REAL good before hand and knew for what I was looking for to get results.

Outside of that perhaps it's possible to find an office/Dr that doesn't mind going over and above conventional number of botox units (typically 30 or 40 for forehead, frown lines, crows feet).

Addition: I think the max clinically recommended number of units for the glabellar/frown is 50. That's one entire vial, but most clinics would use less than that for the entire forehead/upper-face.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

In physics we trust....

Thanks so much sugar, I think I'd be too nervous to do that myself but sounds like you've done your research, fairplay to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Have you thought about retinol, I've been using botox too for some vertical lines near the eyes. But I think retinol might do a good help from what I've read.

Another thing is the sleeping position. Sounds crazy but lying on the side can cause quite a lot of lines. I plan to change pillow and see if there is any difference

Thanks for the suggestions, I've tried retinol and I think because the lines are deep, it does sfa but it's good for my crows feet.

Yeah I've heard that, I sleep on a silk sheeted pillow too as thats meant to help with wrinkles also.

Thanks but boards is an Irish site, not American

• Advertisement

They do look dope

I just buy them when they have them in Dunnes, home store and more, shein and amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Any doctor or nurse you go to will have received the same training so its not a concern there, just dont go to a beautician or someone not qualified to administer injections. From my experience with friends whove been these injectors, theyre relying on out of date information and dont understand that filler done wrong can migrate over time to different areas of the face, they often still think that filler completely dissolves within 2 years so they overfill not realising that it lasts much longer than that & due to it attracting water as it hyaluronic acid based, less is more when it comes to filler and it should be added in gradually over time instead of pumped in all at once. A doctor or nurse will more than likely have the most up to date information for fillers. Most doctors do them now anyway.

Absolutely, there's no way I'd let a beautician go near my face with that kind of injection. I go to a dentist for botox. I've never done fillers and probably won't anytime soon with the potential adverse risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EduardBakers

Hey there! It can be a real struggle to find cost-effective filler options that are still safe and performed by experienced professionals. While Beaumont is highly recommended, their fees can be quite steep. I understand your concerns about franchises like the therapies clinic and laser clinic, as they may not offer the same level of safety compared to other services. It's always important to prioritize safety when it comes to any cosmetic procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Since the bot brought back the thread to life ...

I've used botox a bit since but have come across something that might effectively make it redundant.

Frownies.

Best thing for me, I don't wake up with any lines now under the eye area well there are very minimal. Basically has made a huge difference to that area.

I would recommend them although you need to get used to wearing them every night and taking them off in the morning.

Thank you, i tried frownies on 2 separate occasions over time and found they did nothing for me, afraid I'll be sticking with botox from a dentist for the foreseeable

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chrisorg

Thank you, agreed, safety is priority

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Nardeant

When it comes to your face, it's like finding a unicorn – safe, effective, and reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Nardeant

I can't recommend specific places, but you're right to be cautious about the qualifications.Speaking of which, have you explored the Argireline peptide? It's like this natural gem in the skincare world that might offer a more subtle approach. Personally, I think it's worth checking out.As for clinics, maybe word-of-mouth or online reviews can give you some insights. Your face deserves top-notch care, so take your time, do your research, and trust your instincts.

Advertisement