Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Think thats for some specific stage hunter side game, main game is still you pick the nine at the start and thats it

Post edited by retalivity on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

3 stages in a row for me in Velogames. This is the best I’ve ever done

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Do the cyclist use and wash the same shorts on rotation each day or do they get a new washed pair every morning?

Think i saw something before that pro kit isnt reused for 3 days, youd imagine super teams like ineos/jumbo etc might be even less if at all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I remember being alongside the team buses once and some had washers and dryers built into the luggage compartment. Probably a full time job washing for a team and backroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clean pair every morning, they’ll usually have like 5 or 6 of every piece of kit and they’ll rotate through them.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if bigger stars had brand new gear every stage though.

Checks wash basket and gives recently worn base layer a sniff, be grand for tomorrow morning 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nowadays the team wash them - one of the reasons the carbon footprint of pro-cycling is so high is that the buses are running (or generators are), so much with stuff like the washing machines and dryers.

I remember reading in Rough Ride about it being a daily task even on the Tour to wash and dry the kit in the room each night!

O'Connor officially abandoned with a torn glute, will not start tomorrow.

Should have just stepped off yesterday.

Explains his troubles yesterday, it really did look like he wanted off when they showed him back at the team car. I've had minor glute niggles myself in recent times and hate to think what tearing one feels like 😫

• Advertisement

Prize money earned so far in the tour. Astana having a shocker.

I get why in the past riders struggled around the Tour, but really you'd wonder why more don't pull the plug when it's obviously not just an illness they may get get over. O'Connor would've been better leaving earlier, potentially targeting the vuelta.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,168 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A lot still have pride in finishing the tour. It’s still an achievement

Well the prize money tells a tale doesn't it. I mentioned the other day that Astana had been anonymous but thats terrible. Only 1 win this year so far.

Because it’s the tour is enough for most people. But he’s also on a French team.

they/them/theirs

Yep.

These days talk about the 3 grand tours like they are almost equal. This is a modern phenomenon. For traditionalists like myself, there’s a firm order 1. Tour 2. Giro 3. Vuelta.

If I was the weigh them for prestige the tour is a 10. The Giro is a 6 and Vuelta is a 5. The monument classics would all be a 4.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'd put the classics over the giro and vuelta every day of the week in terms of importance within the sport.

Maybe the Rondje van Vlaanderen if your Belgian. But it’s all subjective

they/them/theirs

People actually target the monuments where as the Giro is for people who know they can't win the Tour and the Vuelta for people who fked up or crashed at the tour.

Giro and vuelta are always the best craic though, tour can be pretty boring but youre guaranteed madness in italy/spain

• Advertisement

The last 10-15 years the Vuelta had come on a huge amount. The Giro was always the most exciting IMO.

they/them/theirs

There was some brilliant Vuelta a few years back when it was tired Froome, Bertie, Nairo and all the lesser GT guys going at it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Totally agree. The Vuelta has been the most interesting tour of late imo.

The tour is the least entertaining by for I think.

I'd watch the classics ten times over any tour, but I know that's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,168 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

we need them all. Classics season last year with MVP, WVA, Alaphilipe etc was sensational.

Giro and Vuelta the last couple of years have struggled because of the loaded schedule IMO

But some years they’ll flip. I loved watching the breaks form in the tour when working from home in recent years. Nothing beats a great alpine stage in the Tour but we’ve been robbed of them because of injury etc

To summarise; I enjoy different types of racing at different times. Ha

I do get that it's still the Tour, but at the same time, for him as leader it's sometimes about stepping away even to lift the pressure/ workload from the rest of the team.

I think the above ranking is very anglophone view of the sport to be honest, and very harsh on the Giro. I'd have the monuments (plus Strade Bianche and Wevelgem) ahead of GT stage win in any ranking.

The Strade is an amazing success story. Has become an instant classic for both riders and fans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Really good TDF so far,i fancy Vingegaard to put Pog under pressure in the really long mountains.

Will it be enough im not so sure but i can hope atleast.

The latest George Bennett podcast is out, talking about Pog, WVA and the tour so far.

I'm amazed UAE haven't put a muzzle on him, at least til the tour is over...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think the hope is that the UAE domestiques crack in the alps, Hirschi and Soler struggled big time when INEOS stretched them on the first climb of the last stage.

I know Pog is seriously strong in the mountains but there has to be a point where he can’t do all the work himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm still hoping that someone risks it all, gets several mins virtual GC lead, and will probably end up blowing up and dropping out of the top 20, but makes it exciting for a few hours at least

Advertisement