Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tour de France 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

anyone know why Boardman has left the ITV coverage for the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,352 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This Tour really needs Bardet or Martin or someone to pull a Voeckler

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Luke Durbridge for BikeExchange tested positive for Covid and is off the tour, hopefully this isn’t the start of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Rog! But I'd love to see Bardet or Gaudu (or both) go up the road.

Heat is going to be the big question mark for Pog. Also, he must be somewhat concerned about his own strength, going for all the bonus seconds. He's actually put in quite a lot of effort (and burned his team) for not much advantage so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

G. Martin pulled out a few days ago with covid. Bardet said initially he was going for Polka dots, but he's still too close on GC...

Re:Pog, i honestly think all he needs his team for is to get him bottles and gels. If he had nobody, he'd just sit on the JV train and pounce at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,352 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I missed the Martin news.

Bardet is either doing a really bad job for KoM or secretly going for top 5/10. I wonder is he just mentally incapable of not following the lead group. I imagine it must be hard to lose time on purpose. Would be nice to see himself and Nairoman fighting for a podium for old times sake.

Pinot looks better placed to actually challenge for KoM which would be nice. God knows he deserves something.

But even that going for bottles/ gels is a problem if he's no one left. Not to mention any mechanical.

Regarding the KOM, I think there's more points today than the whole tour so far? Cat 4 is only 1 point, Cat 3 2 and 1 iirc. They've got rid of the double points for the last climb though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I actually don't have an 'anglophone' view of the sport at all. I live 20 minutes from Belgium and discuss cycling with Belgians and Dutch people every day. Winning a stage of any of the Tours isn't anywhere close to winning a Monument Classic, I don't know where you got that from.

My ranking is old school, as I said in the beginning. Winning the Giro and Vuelta GC is more prestigious than winning a monument. But winning most classics is better than winning a stage in any 3 week tour. Unless it's on Alpe d'Huez or the Champs-Élysées, then it's a real debate.

Ghent Wevelgem is a great race, why it isn't a monument I don't know. But Strade Bianchin is only 15 years old, so I am not sure it's worth. I'd put it behind Fleche Wallonie or Amstel Gold though. Probably a few other Belgian classics too. It's a little bit of a gimmick.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just wondering has anyone used the Eurosport player in France? Heading over next wednesday and would be nice if I could watch the remaining stages in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yes you can - sometimes it a bit annoying as you have different streams and some are French only, others have ads, & it isn't always clearly marked what the difference is, but it works fine

• Advertisement

I think on the player app you can select your own country/region or language preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

Worth noting that this seems to be something you can't do with the GCN+ app for anyone using it, (or at least I couldn't anyway). Had the commentary in English, but only had the Orla and the lads' Spanish equivalents.

Do they have a multiaudio stream on GCN+ like on the Eurosport? When the race finishes you have Johnathan Harris Bass on talking through highlights and interviews etc instead of the studio stuff.

They do. I use it all the time, live in the Netherlands and watch in English.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is there any longer highlights show on the Eurosport player?

You can watch the entire stage as soon as it’s finished on demand. FFWD through the boring bits.

they/them/theirs

I find the Lanterne Rouge highlights on youtube to be decent enough most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Any recommendations for podcasts with tdf analysis.

Full disclosure: I like the JB2 part the move with Johann bruynel (and not the part including Lance)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lanterne Rouge podcast is a personal favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Cycling Podcast - https://thecyclingpodcast.com/

They have daily episodes released on the evening after every stage

• Advertisement

Not really enjoying the cycling podcast tdf shows this year. Found mitch docker a bit grating on the ears last week and now lionels gone for this week so only regular is Francois.

Itv used to do a decent podcast buy they don't seem to have one this year

The chris horner one can be ok sometimes, when he's not just shouting knuckleheads at everyone. Lanterne Rouge is a daily watch for me. Social distance is irregular, but interesting to hear george bennett talk about recent races/riders.

LA's could be great but im not giving that guy a click

Alpe d'Huez looks absolutely mental tonight, a 12k long street party

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I get the hesitancy with 'the move' and know that Johann bruynel was a major player in everything Lance related but he is very knowledgeable on so many riders today and gives great insight from a DS perspective.

The part with Lance himself is not as good and can be avoided.

None of the original line-up left for the last fortnight of the Tour. Was never a fan of Daniel Friebe but it needs to be anchored by a regular or it just starts to feel a bit all over the place. Yesterday's pod still wasn't up at 10.30pm for me so seems like it's not running smoothly. You'd wonder if it has a long-term future.

In fairness, Lionel's dad died so he left to go to the funeral (and then couldn't go because of Covid). I think the plan would've been for him to do the whole tour. I actually don't mind Mitch (I think him and Lionel made a good combo), and think Boswell is fine, and Rose Manley is a regular host of Féminin. I'm more worried about the hints from Francois it's his last tour.

The Lantern Rouge is alright, but yer man can be a bit grating.

Cycling Tips is also ok (Caley would make a good co host for TCP actually).

The order I listen is TCP; LR; CT.

With no commutes haven't listened to The Move this tour - it's actually ok when Lance isn't on it (just because I find he adds nothing - clear that JB was the brains behind the wins).

Post edited by Macy0161 on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If the Benji guy on LR podcast could stop calling everything 'low key' that would be great

The Aussie fella far more irritating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

He has a few language crutches (“I dare say” is my favourite) but I think he’s grand. A decent antidote sometimes to LR’s more outlandish claims/projections (which in fairness he backs down from when some facts are pointed out)

I enjoy the show. Usually watch it late night on YouTube

Advertisement