Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Card Time Wasting Problem

• 10-07-2022 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭

So how do we get around the problem of blatant time wasting when a player is off the field for a black card. I think the ball was in play for around 2mins and 30 secs when the Dublin player was off the field today. The Dublin gk dropping to the ground was a farce in order to waste more time on the black card

One suggestion I read is that the ref should stop play if the physio is on the field during a black card period this would stop the fake injury time wasting.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,079 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The easiest way to do it would be by points conceded. Player is allowed back on when the opposition score a goal/3 points. That should end the time wasting via injuries and the keep ball we see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You would be better off penalising them a goal for a black card and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Stop the clock for injuries and pushing and shoving. That takes away the reward for this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Dublin took the piss today, Comerford "went down" holding his face or head, physio or doctor was then treating him for a leg injury, they even started warming up the sub goalie 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Need to stop the clock.

It's cynical but Comerford did the right thing for his team. Really ran down the clock, stretching the rules to the limit. He deserved a black card. Probably is if a player holds his head a ref is afraid of his life to sanction him in the current climate of concussion problems etc. The ref is afraid it's genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,695 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Again, It was a genuine injury

Kicked in the face and upper arm stood on by a 90 kilogram plus lad wearing boots….and the usual suspect, the ‘reality denier’ here calling it nonsense…

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

I think it's prior to the penalty going down for no reason.

29 minutes in, Dublin down by 4…. So the benefit of taking a dive I can’t understand…..winning or level perhaps the motivation could exist but 4 down..

looked a strange situation though…possibly cramp which is intensely painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

An intercounty *goalkeeper* going down for a sudden onset of cramp in the *29th* minute! I genuinely laughed out loud at that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Was that a genuine ‘black card’ offence yesterday…?

Its just coincidence they were down to 14 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

They should be rid of the black card, an awful rule which IMO over punishes the team now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It used to be that the black card only meant that player had to be substituted. I guess that was easier to manage.

Having it as being 10 mins in the sinbin only when ball is in play just makes the referee's job even more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Give the time keeping of the sin bin job to the fourth official.

Let them have a watch that only runs when the ball is in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭celt262

I don't think a watch like that is invented yet....

In all seriousness if they are going down that route they may as well just introduce the clock the same as the ladies use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

Time to borrow time keeping practices from Rugby. The ref can stop the clock for injuries, subs, and other stoppages. Bring in a 20 second rule for frees, lineballs and kick outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Who currently keeps track of the 10 minutes for guys with black cards, is it the ref or the umpire ?

It could be an option to give the umpire discretion to extend the time if there is a lengthy non-standard break in play, such as with the whole penalty business yesterday. It would then be up to the umpire to alert the referee when they think the player can come back on.

I'm not sure about counting time in play, as the ball spends time out of play as part of the natural flow of a game.

The 4th official at Inter county games and the referee at club games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I'm not sure about counting time in play, as the ball spends time out of play as part of the natural flow of a game.

eh? What part of the game makes a "ball-in-play" clock not feasible?

It works well in the women's game already

• Advertisement

The clock only is stopped in ladies when there is an injury and that's what we need. It may help to reduce a lot of "head" Injuries and stop the run down of black card..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Gael85

Every team does this. Not just confined to black cards. When is winning or playing against a strong breeze you see the phantom head injuries.

Players clutching head should be removed for 15 minutes to be assessed for concussion and we need a proper clock system similar to ladies football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Some of the lads here must not have even seen the game! The player in question is being accused of time wasting PRIOR to the penalty being taken, before he made a double save and in the action of the 2nd save was incidentally caught by a trailing leg. Simple really. SMALL, FAR AWAY....

He wasn't the only offender as it must be a squad strategy to deal with losing a man, as even the sideline was in on the whole grand performance. But its hard to blame the dubs as they were operating within the rules if not the spirit of game. Its the rule that needs to change, the ladies game has a simple solution as previously stated. A separate sin bin clock that only counts actual play time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The Ladies have the right idea on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭john9876

Please don't give it to the umpire, the most brain dead species known to man.

One of them had the one job of checking if the goalie came off his line before the penalty was taken and he couldn't do that.

Please don't expect them to do something as difficult as telling the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Having a stop clock system for the black card running at the same time as the current system with d ref adding on an extra few mins for stopages just is not workable. it might be possible at at inter county with a 4th official but imagine trying to do that a club game with a ref by himself with possibly multiple black cards on the go at the same time.

Black card = the particular infringement plus is a 14 year free in front of the post if outside the 21 or a penalty for inside?

I like the idea also of a black card means if that player fouls again anywhere in the pitch its a free in front of the posts but sometimes with the swarm tackles its so hard for a ref to penalise one particular player?

I was watching a club championship game on YouTube, goalkeeper goes down, can’t move, in agony and a lad comes on , no treatment offered, just a water bottle, must be containing absolute magic recovery juice as he leaps up, after about 2 minutes and is Lazarus..

meanwhile clock for black card ticks down all the while, referee can’t do much,just encourage and implore him up, lad on the deck finishes necking the whole bottle and up like a salmon and running to get the ball for the kick out, he received NO treatment just a drink.

The idea of stopping the clock when the physio is on is a good one.

Advertisement