Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass Protest in the Netherlands by Farmers.

• 07-07-2022 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Some scenes in the Netherlands the past few days and if you hadn't got access to social media you wouldn't even know about the mass protests going on in the country. Seems the farmers have had enough and up to 40,000 of them have took to the streets and blocked main roads and even seen they blocked parts of the airport off.

Below from the Washington Post.

AMSTERDAM — Dutch police shot at a tractor during a heated night of farm protests and detained three demonstrators, the latest incident in a string of protests against government plans to cut pollutant emissions that many farmers fear would hurt their livelihoods.

Police in northern Friesland said Wednesday that no one was hurt in the incident that involved warning shots and direct targeting of a tractor that broke free from a line. Police said there was an attempt to drive into their vehicles and officers.

Because shots were fired, an official investigation into the incident was started.

Dutch farmers angry at government plans to slash emissions have blocked roads and supermarket distribution centers for several days, sparking fears of food shortages.

The unrest among Dutch farmers was triggered by a government proposal to slash emissions of pollutants like nitrogen oxide and ammonia by 50% by 2030. Provincial governments have been given a year to formulate plans to achieve the goal.

The reforms are expected to include reducing livestock and buying up some farms whose animals produce large amounts of ammonia. Farmers argue they are being unfairly targeted and are being given no perspective for their future.

Comments

I'm seeing it reported in the UK independent, Irish examiner and plenty of US news sites too. So it is being reported on and not supressed. It might not get hour by hour coverage but reoorted on. Imagine the articles aren't as sensational as what you'd see on Facebook though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

People starting to realise that the climate hysterics are sacrificing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭archfi

I haven't seen any coverage at all of this on RTE's website - I've searched manually and attempted to use the useless search function.

I don't really watch RTE TV News so don't know about thta.

RTE Radio I listen too and again do not remember any mention of this.

Irish Times - nothing I can see

Irish Independent - One story on 04/07

I stand to be corrected if I've missed something from sites above.

I've seen the videos on social media including the police barrelling into the middle of at least one protest with themselves dressed as protestors attempting to instgate a kickoff.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Irish media are so obsessed with Boris they don't have time for anything else 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

• Advertisement

That seems to be a common tactic from Western authorities when these mass protests pop up, try to discredit the protesters and label them as violent trouble makers. It's so predictable.

Ive seen videos of supermarket shelf's in the country all empty of meat and fresh produce.

Live rounds fired on peaceful protesters is like something you would see in Iran or China. I wonder has there been any condemnation from the E.U yet?

Nothing on the mainstream TV news channels is very odd don't you think? Havent seen anything on Sky News or BBC and certainly no reports on RTE or Virgin Media.

• Advertisement

Real echoes of Canada and the trucker convoy. Bury the news unless it's something negative to damage the cause. I wonder how long before a swastika flag is planted on a tractor and all the farmers can be called dangerous nazis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,051 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Report says they shot at them like they were coming right at them, but the video makes it clear they're just driving off.

Police said there was an attempt to drive into their vehicles and officers.

DAE think the video calls bullshit on the police here

Some rhetoric from the Dutch House of Representatives.

"The Netherlands House of Representatives has released a statement which said: ‘The honest message is that not all farmers will continue in business. Those who do will have to farm differently'”.

Farming protests also trickling into Italy it seems.

Maybe the Farmers will get a visit from Michael Martin if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

EU. Food shortages due to Ukraine Russian war. EU also. lets stop producing food. Also EU Beef bad. Also EU grand when it's from South America. madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

What ever laws they are bringing out in NL will make their ways to Ireland in a couple of years

Eamon Ryan pulling himself inside out at just the prospect.

It's funny how the left wing parties are nowhere to be found when it comes to people who contribute protesting as opposed to free loaders

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Almost as if the media are surpressing what's actually happening in case people in our own country wake up and realise what "climate change" bollixology means and go out on the streets here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

You can unwittingly vote in Green communist-esque politicians but in the end the people have to shoot their way out of communism, every. single. time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Netherlands is an extremely densely populatated country. Intense pig farming in particular is fouling-up the soil and water in the country and is causing massive issues even if you leave aside emissions (which you can't).

For a bit of context, the Dutch are the EU's largest meat producer. And between cattle, sheep, pigs and chicken, has a livestock population four times that of France or the UK. Think about that for a second - the country is about the size of Munster.

Very little about how the Dutch do livestock can be sustained. The thread will be resplendant with tales of the plucky little Dutch farmer against the big bad suits in Brussels and elsewhere. Livestock is big-business in the Netherlands, and they had a very good run. If the widget industry was f*cking up soil, water and air the way Dutch livestock interests do, very few people in this thread would be as sanguine about these protests.

Good news for Brazilian farmers.

Plus that eyesore of an Amazon rainforest providing all that oxygen can finally be bulldozed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Yes. And the contrast with Greta thunbergs crowds protests is startling. It would take brain dead level of critique not to see their levels of theatre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

H'on the Farmers

World population is aiming for 8.5 billion in 2030

Almost 10 billion by 2050

The choice is more intensive farming in places like Ireland or burning down the Amazon for agriculture. The EU has chosen less farming in the EU and burning down the Amazon.

Or is it the intention of Green types to purposely starve people? How many lives is a gram of Co2 worth on the Carbon trading markets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Intensive Dutch livestock farming was always going to have a reckoning day.

Brazil will have its reckoning day too. In time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭Astartes

We will eat the insects and be happy.

We won't remember names and addresses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭SeanW

Reading about this and some other emerging European policies regarding agriculture since the start of the Ukraine war have led me believe that we are being ruled by our enemies.

At least, the only other possibility I can consider is that our leadership class has decided there is too much food being produced for the worlds' people. A very strange conclusion for them to come to considering that there will most likely be a famine and starvation this year.

"The environmental challenges posed by agriculture are huge, and they’ll only become more pressing as we try to meet the growing need for food worldwide. We’ll likely have two billion more mouths to feed by mid-century—more than nine billion people. But sheer population growth isn’t the only reason we’ll need more food. The spread of prosperity across the world, especially in China and India, is driving an increased demand for meat, eggs, and dairy, boosting pressure to grow more corn and soybeans to feed more cattle, pigs, and chickens. If these trends continue, the double whammy of population growth and richer diets will require us to roughly double the amount of crops we grow by 2050."

"double the amount of crops by 2050"

Double, not less than current, double.

The EU is taking the policy steps towards importing food from Brazil while reducing our own agricultural footprint and it is utter insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Nermal

Not only have I seen very little coverage of this, I've also seen something of an uptick in anti-meat pieces the last few days.

Doesn't surprise me. Its plain to see the media in the past few decades are the enemy of the people in the West. Reports against the narrative are unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I don’t think the poor coverage is anything to read into, English language journalists are often slow to react to news items in non English speaking countries.

I live in NL, I use 3 different local supermarkets weekly and haven’t noticed any empty shelves as yet, neither has my Dutch husband and I haven’t heard our friends even speaking about it to be honest. The protests have popped up a bit in the news but more in the west of the country, and in terms of annoyance at holding traffic up. I don’t think the farmers have much support really, might explain why the news hasn’t traveled too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,578 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Do Dutch news outlets constantly report when our truckers and farmers go on the march?

No, no they don't. Put yer phones in the microwave and go out for a walk.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You’re seeing what you want to see. I live in the Netherlands and see nothing like that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The cops shooting at the tractor driver just shows it doesn't matter where in the world you go, there'll be cops just dying to get a sneaky shooting in whenever they can. "Oh he was driving right at us!". Scum and nothing else.

The wheels are coming off big time pretty much Europe-wide but we're still in the denial phase. Just look at inflation over the last year+ and the clear and obvious "it'll peak soon, honest!" nonsense those "in the know" have been putting out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It seems to be very "local" alright. If anything the Italian farmer stuff is bigger, but still local.

Another aspect to this could be Russian spin. I'm no there's putinbots everywhere, especially from people who lose their shít at someone who doesn't rant slava Ukraine with every utterance, but... I mentioned on the Russia thread hereabouts that I know someone who's bought deep into Russian spin(among other stuff), current and longstanding and I'd generally bump into them on a near weekly basis and I find they're a handy near word for word barometer on what that spin is, so saves me reading it. I was talking with them the other day and they were all fired up about the Dutch farmers, how the EU was trampling them and keeping it all off the news, food shortages are already here, the EU is falling apart, panic on the streets etc. Given their only previous exposure to the Netherlands has been a can of Dutch Gold, I doubt they're licking this from a stone.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Augme

The same posters here cream there pants about the "success" of this protest are the same ones who creamed there pants at the "success" of the fuel protest earlier in the year. The reality is there is very little interest or support for these protests from the citizens. It's just a tiny group making a lot of noise.

I was recently reading a new Ross O'Carroll Kelly book and in the story the wife of Ross is some deluded leftie liberal who becomes a politician. She comes up with a scheme to ban all sheep and cows from Ireland in 10 years or something. And of course the farmers protest, drop hundreds of cows by her house in Killiney to block roads etc.

I literally laughed as I was reading it 2 weeks ago. Now it reads like a bloomin' Nostradamus book or something.

Parody is so passé nowadays. Every parody ends up becoming a spoiler to real life!

• Advertisement

I wonder what they eat in Davos and Brussels and other places where these decision makers eat. I wonder what their carbon footprint is. Or how big there homes are, and how much it costs to heat them.

Sorry but I dislike the "Do as I say, not as I do" approach to these types of laws.

The biggest contribution to pollution is from the exploding population growth in the third world. Why do we have to feel guilty every time we have a burger or a steak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Seen a video of plain clothes police hopping out of a van to disrupt/attack/incriminate whatever verb you'd like a group of protestors before getting chased back. Wasn't from this protests but shows how they act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The European plan for food is grains and veg from Russia, beef and soya from Brazil and lamb and milk from New Zealand.

There are ways the Dutch could manage this sustainably.

The policy at European top level for 20 years has been to aggressively undermine Energy and food production in Europe in favour of external actors like Russia and Brazil.

Insane given the importance of food and energy, insane given Much of the best agricultural land in the world is in Europe.

Wasn't the European plan (i.e. the German plan) to get oil and gas from Russia as well. We saw how that worked out. Now the Germans are blessed it's summer. Winter will be hard. Why the big desire to offshore all the dirty jobs to the developing world? What's wrong with Europe producing its own stuff?

Why would Russia want to draw attention to this?

It's a help to them, they are clean delighted with the Dutch Govt.

The winding down of German energy production worked well, not for Germany but then it wasn't for their interest.

Outsourcing these things increases strategic vulnerability for Europe.

Hopefully it will be a record cold winter in Germany, wake them up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The general gist I'm getting is not unlike the whole sanctions against Russia thing; It's hurting us more than them! spin. That the EU(which the Kremlin seems to hate and fear in about equal measure and for obvious reasons) is dictatorial and trampling down ordinary Europeans. Add in panic type stuff about empty shelves and food shortages on top of gas and oil shortages and an impending recession and mass migration into Europe on the back of famine. That's the narative being spun to Russian supporters in their media and wider social media in the West.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The few thousand people who protested in Russia against Putin got plenty of coverage from the likes of the BBC and Sky. Same in Venezuela and Ukraine in recent memory. Pretty sure RTE coverage all too. Id like to hear unbiased news reports of global issues like all above not just the handpicked ones which suit the narrative, but maybe thats a thing of the past when journalists where actually holding there governments to account and not activists for them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don’t think it’s even as insidious as Russian misinformation, but I could be wrong. People always see what they want to see. So they find themselves a nice little Twitter echo chamber and settle in.

I was thinking about it and there is a weird quirk in Dutch supermarkets. They’re **** at stocking shelves. My local Aldi is out of bread after 18:00 every day. There’s a chance that video was simply taken at the right time.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Exactly. It's about strategic vulnerability. Remember when there was a shortage of PPU equipment in the pandemic and it became apparent that all of the Western world's supplies were made in China? It sent a little shiver down anyone's spines who actually considered what would happen in the event of a really deadly pandemic (I mean a survival rate less than 99%).

• Advertisement
Advertisement