Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Raoul

Hey guys, read through the thread but I only have a small lawn. @82 m^2. However, I still think a robot lawnmower makes sense as they are probably cheaper than the regular mower. Any recommendations? I saw the Landroid on amazon.de for €540, is this the best option?

Also, has anyone gone the route of solar panel charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 navimow11

@poker--addict @Redlim I was speaking with Lyster lawnmower in February and they said they were hoping to stock it in September/ October. I would be suprised if they make this date though. I only had time to set up mine correctly today and so far so good. It seems really accurate.. I did try and set it up last week and it wasn't 100% successful but there were probably a few different reasons for that. I can post a further update in a weeks time and let you know my thoughts! I would say that it definitely will not suit certain types of gardens.. there is a checklist on the navimow website that everyone should do before purchasing and it will give you a score based on the area surrounding your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭murfler

Hi guys I have a 430x, this is its third season mowing, in its first year I had to replace the bearing housing in cutting disc, in its second season I replaced it twice..i am already after replacing twice this summer. I know this part needs replacing probably every season but mine seems to only last 6 or 7 weeks now.

Machine not overworked and is well maintained. The only thing I can think of that might not be helping the problem is that I'm not using husky branded blades ??

Can anyone suggest any other reason for this part to fail so frequently?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

i use generic blades off Amazon and my 430x is in its 5th summer and I’ve never replaced that bearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Third or fourth year here with a 430X and I've never even heard of that part. Probably a bit late for warranty but if the issue was there from day one you might chance getting on to Husqvarna and see can you get any goodwill from them?

• Advertisement

I also cut at level 2, the guy in husky store mentioned it was too low and I was asking for trouble when I was cutting at level 1. What level to you mow?

I change it myself so I doubt husky will stand over it. What height do you mow at? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

I cut at 6. Have never tried to go that low. Doubt my garden would be smooth enough to cope with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I cut at 2 for the first few years. 3 this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm mowing too low but that's like buying a bike with 8 gears but you can't use the first two gears

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is it the two bearings you are replacing or the housing?

If it’s the bearings, do you also replace the stick on seal? If not, that might be letting in moisture/grit and wearing it prematurely.

Another slight possibility is that the mower hit something that damaged it and it’s possibly warped and hence the bearing is now being overloaded.

Post edited by KCross on

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Have a husqvarna mower and the last two times i have changed the blades i am having awful bother trying to loosen the screws, anyone else having this problem or any tips. All i can do is keep spraying with wd40 and leaving it for a while and trying and get a turn each time on the screws, savage annoying.

I replace the housing, not expensive but if it needs replacing every 6 weeks at €25 it adds up. Warping may be a possibility.

What happens the housing that you need to replace it? Does it crack or something?

Ive replaced the bearings a few times but never the housing.

Just handyness really...a few extra €€ for the housing.

Never seen a crack or anything in housing

Sorry if pointing out obvious but maybe you are tightening screws to much..I found I tightened them too much first few times and found them hard to losen as a result. No need to bury them at all.

So the bearings is actually what you are replacing?

Do you replace both?

Do you put on a new seal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tooleyn

Initiated a chargeback straight away when we got those emails. Letter from Mastercard AIB, managed to get refund. For Those in the same boat keep pushing. I was outside the 120 days.

• Advertisement

Ok, you don’t need to replace the black piece.

just buy the two bearings and the seal, which would be about half that price.

Regardless, it should be lasting more than a season so something is up.

my guess is still that you aren’t replacing the seal or something is warped and overloading the bearings.

Is the seal/gasket not in the housing?

I can't figure out what's causing it needing replacing so regularly. Like I said it's well maintained and not overworked on a very flat lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tooleyn

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Excuse my ignorance but on what planet do you need to change the bearing every season! Bearings should not be going after 12 months let alone a few weeks. A bearing should last year's. Especially one that's only circulating and not taking lateral forces in any meaningful way.

I'd suggest as previously been pointed to that youve a seal leak or surrounding housing issue causing the fault. Are these definitely pre greased ?

As for blade screws being stuck from other poster. Dip the screw in copper grease it should keep the moisture out from the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭charlesodowd

Hey folks.

Have an Flymo 1200R

Recently it's been acting up and I noticed one of the charging contacts on the base station has corroded (almost fallen apart). FLymo have them on their UK website but are out of stock at the moment.

Does anyone know if there is a similar part in a different model I could substitute?

[img]https://imgur.com/a/m1FfFb6[/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Might have been asked before, but how do people typically manage a garden that is in multiple parts. I have a large and small lawn area, sliced by the driveway, which has a 4" step down from the curb.

If I wanted to go robot lawnmower route (which I do), would I need to create a 'bridge' between both sides and build up the level of the driveway at that point so that the lawnmower can easily drive across between 2 areas?

Or is there a simpler solution?

would I need to create a 'bridge' between both sides and build up the level of the driveway at that point so that the lawnmower can easily drive across between 2 areas?

that’s more or less what you have to do or else get 2 mowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Good price for the latest landroid m500 model from Amazon.de. Purchased it recently at the higher price and had no issues getting it through shipgerman and ups (€52.75 extra).

https://www.amazon.de/Landroid-WR165E-Lawnmower-Bluetooth-Floating/dp/B0913J9BTB/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=5DZ3BZEBYJ0X&keywords=worx+landroid&qid=1657643399&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&sprefix=wor%2Caps%2C71

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭denismc

You can create a secondary area by running the wire along one side of the garden or along a wall into the area you want to cut and then creating a boundary in the secondary area.

Then it's a case of lifting the mower into the second area and hitting start.

I do this about twice a week in the summer.

Advertisement