Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single speed advice on options

Options
  • 07-07-2022 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Morning,

Regular reader here but don't post too much... Grateful for any comments on this, my first time looking at single speed.

Having recently slimmed down the fleet, and offloading some fairly high quality bikes for cheap enough.... I find myself needing a cheap bike again!

This is really a run around, and for a very, very short commute and to be left in a "secure" bike storage in work that isn't secure enough for my liking to leave any of my current bikes...

I will also try fit a bobike seat (the one for older kids).

Speaking of bobike /frame mount bike seats, anyone know if you can fit the frame mounted child seat and a slim rack too? (eg a pannier on a slim rack while using the frame to hold the child seat).

So I want as cheap a bike as possible really, but not so cheap that it'll annoy me and if a small bit extra gets a better bike.... when including the bike seat, I'd prefer to keep the weight down within reason.

I want rack mounts.

I've narrowed it down to 2 options (having discounted the likes of the decathlon bike which is around 245 quid, as it is a bit heavy).

While the wiggle bike is flat bar (I'm fine with that) and the genesis is drops (I'm fine with that), they seem to have similar frame material, similar weight...both seem to have quick release (I was wondering how I'd go about fixing a puncture on the move while on some of the bikes I've seen). Is there any reason to pay the extra?? Are there any other options I've missed? I've checked fuji, ribble and a few others.

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=158947

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Both are fine, I had the Mach 1 predecessor the Vitus Vee and it was a liovely get around town bike and used to transport the Bambino on a bike seat. The Genesis looks nicer, does it look 300euro nicer, that is a call for you to make.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

genesis are silly money these days for what you get.

Also not sure where you are seeing the QR, both definelty bolted on, all you need is one small pedal spanner though, easy enough to take on and off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Something like that.

Consider a top tube mounted child seat, nicer for child.

Stick mudguards, fit security skewers on front on and drink the change

I found the rear mounted one safer but everyones mileage will vary. The seat tube one meant your legs are poking out oddly, and you have less of a firm grip of the bars. It might feel safer but when I thought about it, the rear mounted one was safer (for me, everyone should make their own choice obviously).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

Agree. Second hand is the way to go for a single speed / fixie. No groupset means that you just need to check BB, headset, wheels and brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thanks for all that.

Would be very happy to buy second hand if found something suitable, that bike above with no proper description of whether it's steel, aluminium, weights 12 or 14kg etc would have be rule that one out, but absolutely have been looking at adverts and done deal.

On the kid seat, definitely want it on the back as child is 7 and quite big and I'm already very tall so would really struggle to pedal a bike with a large child sitting in front of me

Thanks for the comments re the quick release, was just going by the bike descriptions as both having "qr"....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Can see from the branding on the wheels it’s a ‘no logo’, they weigh just under 10kg I think, they were a pretty common brand about 6 or 7 years ago when fixed gear bikes were all the rage, similar to this model just a different colour

Got some good info here before so hoping for a quick follow up query..

Been knocking about on the genisis, it's fine but the cranks are very poor quality.

I'm not powerful, I'm commuting on a flat enough journey, and yet I regularly feel like the cranks are almost flexing on me! This happens when starting off, so every time I stop etc.. Not an issue once moving along

Just wondering is swapping them out a big job? I know how to do this on a regular bike, haven't a clue about single speed.

If I bought 105 compact cranks I'd be looking to take off the small front ring and then worrying about alignment /spacers etc ?

Could I buy a 1x grx crank?

Almost certainly not worth the expense, and if it is an expensive or very messy /lots of bodging required job I'll leave it alone, but current bike is fairly irritating.

An alternatively might be to go with an easier rear cog on current set up so starting off doesn't require as much force, but then sacrificing top end speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Would you not get an acera crank, way cheaper and rock solid (but heavier) and put the 42t on the middle to keep the chainline?

• Advertisement

Take a pic and stick it up but if its single speed I imagine its likely square taper, so you'd have to change BB for grx. It's not a difficult job but you'd want the right tools.

I'm fine with a regular bike!

Have changed many bottom brackets, mostly the old style screw in, but also have the tools to remove the press fit and the press to install a new one.

This bike is described as having :

Bottom Bracket :

Cartridge 68 x 127.5 mm

Thanks.

Yeah I'm not interested in GRX as such, I also mentioned 105. I don't actually understand how these single speeds work, the cranks are not flush with the bottom bracket they sit out quite a bit. So I was just wondering can I use a non single speed specific one, or would that leave me messing around with spacers etc.

So that's like what you've installed before (in regards taking it off). Buy a hollowtech II bracket that fits (just Google hollowtech BB 68mm), should be around 25euro, you'll need different tools to tighten it but someone will have them. You may need spacers depending on which BB you get if you go for GRX.

Advertisement