Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

I've never actually reported a close/dangerous pass, I always assumed it was a long winded and ultimately pointless exercise.

Is there a website I can report on or do I need to visit a station ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was crossing with the pedestrian/bike lights on James Joyce bridge earlier. Some guy slams on the brakes to make the red (he had plenty of time) the barrels through anyway as a grandad and baby are crossing.

All so he could join the back of a line of traffic a few metres on

I did what I have long stopped doing and sort of went back towards him intending to give him a passive aggressive/sarcastic clap. He apologized. Said it was his fault entirely. I pointed out about the child, he said he knew, his fault. I pointed out he had stopped and then went through anyway, he said he knows, he's sorry.

I lost it a bit then, I then used some fairly unsavoury insults at him and he looked genuinely stunned. Absolute prick in his stupid SUV that thinks that a simple oh I know is enough for being a complete cretin. A bully who probably gets his way all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

If you have video it is definitely easier but it depends on the Garda you get. There is no way to upload video. We are in the dark ages in that way unfortunately. You could say to the Garda that you just want them to have a word and not make a statement. That driver was totally inconsiderate / unaware and deserves to be aske to account for that pass.

For the sake of tackliing the rise of close passing, I see it as correct to report them. Each incident could be the next cyclist in collision with motor vehicle, but motororist uninjured report in Media. Its time this sort of driving was tackled and proper records of how endemic it is built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

The guy made a mistake and put his hands up - several times. What more do you want him to do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to not make 'mistakes', i suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭standardg60

Exactly, if the driver had stopped dead there poster would have been into the back of them. Complete lack of awareness.

He got caught being a dangerous cretin on the road. He was happy to be chatting away on his phone. then he had to slam the brake to avoid hitting me. He should've been well aware the light was red by the as it's a 2 lane crossing on both sides and they both go red at the same time. He still decided to barrel through when there's a child in a buggy being brought across on a green pedestrian (and bike) light.

An apology isn't enough for that type of ignorance. There was zero meaning to it. He was only sorry someone called him out for his shithead behaviour. Saying he knew he went through the light too when the child was there. That's not a mistake. That's being a dangerous and completely abhorrent driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

That's a very different scenario. There is no mention of any phone in your initial post

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the chap - going by the first post and not even needing to revert to the second; did not make 'a mistake'. it sounds like it was deliberate.

someone getting a bolllocking for treating a red light like an optional extra, when there are crossing pedestrians, getting a dressing down, gets the world's smallest violin from me. he's more likely to hesitate next time as a result.

Even if he hadn't been on the phone. It was completely **** driving, and deliberate. And remember, this was all so he could join the back of traffic a few metres up the road. It's not like I had to turn and chase him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I don't think being aggressive is the way to approach these kinds of scenarios. Best to just be in dismay and almost be disappointed in the person if you end up talking to them. Angry exchanges tend to lead greater vitriol towards cyclists whereas if you calmly explain yourself there may be a greater chance he'll think twice the next time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

DPD driver coming onto a roundabout in front of me this morning. Luckily I have a decent set of pipes to warn him. This wasn't my main issue though. It was that two other vehicles had already stopped coming onto the roundabout (which is a glorified T junction one) to go right but it never even occurred to him why that might be. He looked sorry/ashamed which is better than most reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Take the lane!!!

you know what's going to happen there though? 'the cyclist should have been in the dedicated cycle lane'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Passing this turn to my right this morning, fu(kwit decides to make the turn beside me without slowing too much & a car coming from the opposite direction having to jam on to avoid, talk about a retarded move. Roads are getting progressively more dangerous.

Dropped pin

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UCDNfEPSE5JnJdP57

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Plenty of genuine reasons not to be in the cycle lane. Could be turning left up ahead, could have missed the light sequence to get into the cycle lane etc. Non-cyclists don't seem to be able to grasp what it's like to actually cycle on roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

He's also in a bus lane which is still a cycle lane, and marked as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Last evening I got a punishment pass whilst out solo. The van actually intentionally sped up and skimmed me by inches for maximum effect. Incident happened coming into a small village which I generally ride center lane to discourage the close passes and was probably riding close to the speed limit in any case as its slight downhill.

Normally don't react but this was too close and very much intentional based on the face he actually increased speed and then skimmed me.

There's lights up ahead and if red I know I will catch up with him. I pull up alongside the passenger door and from a distance ask him what the F he is playing at. He has a hammer in his hands and then starts swiping out the passenger window. I'm at a safe distance ahead and make hand gestures etc as am irate at this point.

He has rage in his eyes and when pulls away and makes a small movement towards me in the van. I'm convinced this looney could potentially hit me with the van so want get behind the van asap.

He swings off to the right and I continue straight. I got the registration and given his reactions still concerned he could come after me so take a detour from planned spin.

Made a statement down the local garda station. May not pursue it but want cause this knob as much disruption as possible but given his reactions I doubt Garda turning up at his door would bother him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I would have reported that too as it intimidation and threatening behavior, not to mention the poor driving.

Maybe he was rushing to go to a family event... Like who has a hammer or other tool/weapon to hand while driving..? I had one pull a steel pipe on me in a car park just because they could not overtake me on a ramp with a 15kmph limit.

Mad that people like this are out there every single day, rage and impatience rushing through their veins. What a way to live. Sharing the road with them is a daily challenge.

At the very least it's a public order offence so a fine and upto 6 months imprisonment. Followed by driving without due care and attention and if the Garda is feeling like flexing their powers, it is certainly covered under the assault regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

Anyway an update on this - went to store street in person. This is after again talking to a guard on the phone who was asking me what I hope to gain from reporting this and asking if I had lights/hi vis. Was a very bright sunny day/early afternoon so that would be a no and no legal obligation to have it either during daylight. When I did go in to the station, the guard on duty took details but said as I didn't suffer an injury or damage to bike it would not go in as a traffic collision. He was mumbling something about if the guys reg came up again they would have this incident on file so nothing will come of this unfortunately. Seems you can hit cyclists and drive how you like as long as you "accidentally" do it and don't cause injury or damage the bike!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^^^ so in other words, I can't be bothered dealing with your allegation - now please leave my station!

I'd nearly be tempted to go back and ask the garda to see his sarge or even his inspector and mention how you're considering reporting his dismissive attitude to an allegation to the ombudsman

tbf the guy in the station was fine . It was the guy on the phone who was dismissive and questioning everything

The garda in the station had a number of options to pursue the driver (both in terms of their dangerous driving and threatening behaviour) but chose the I can't be arsed approach.

I dont know - he doesn't process it apparently. There was dangerous driving - was told by the garda on the phone its not considered dangerous driving unless its deliberate. Like how would he know that without being there!? There seems to be a general "can't be arsed approach". I didn't hang around anyway. There were all sorts of characters there :)

By my understanding, you didn't even make (dictate) a statement to a garda so it will really go no further.

• Advertisement

No statement, bar a knock on the door, it's going no further and by the sounds of it there won't even be a knock on the door.

Advertisement