Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance query

Options
  • 05-07-2022 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

If i claim via travel insurance for expenses am I still entitled to the 250 eu directive ?

can I still apply for a refund on the flights that where cancelled?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You can’t profit from the claim. The insurance will ask if you claimed eu361

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

It’s not to profit, i have heard horror stories getting expenses paid from airlines

i was thinking of doing all expenses through the insurance

then claiming the the EU361 and then requesting a refund for the cancelled flight

does that not make sense or is it possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Just for further context on this ted

ryanair have separate channels for right to compensation claims and then expenses / right to care etc

they also have refund request channels for cancelled flights, again separate processes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expenses and 261 compensation are unconnected. 261 compensation is over and above all expenses.

You can claim for expenses, as covered by your policy, regardless of 261 compensation.

In the OPs case, I doubt the insurance provides anything. Outright cancelled flights = refund of costs plus 261 if its in the time window for that. Nothing insurable.

Advertisement