Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota bz4X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

It's not that it's not great... for a 2022 car it should be launching straight away with a 11kw whereas 6.6kw is kinda old technology at this stage. For instance, the new Nissan Ariya is launching with an 11kw on-board charger and then will ship with a 22kw on-board charger in Q4.

The 6.6kw on-board charger is an internal unit that's connected to the car's battery and is the max capacity/speed that the battery can charge at when charging with an AC charger. All home chargers are AC and here in Ireland 99% of home chargers are 7kw home chargers, so if you are ever only going to be charging your new BZ4X at home then the 6.6kw on-board charger in the car doesn't really matter. But here in Ireland the vast majority of the public chargers (mainly ESB ecar chargers) are all 22kw chargers (which are AC), it'll just mean that when plugged into any AC charger that's anything from 7kw up to 49kw - the BZ4X will still only charge at a max rate of 6.6kw per hour.

BUT... when you plug into a DC fast charger, the DC charger by-passes the inverter in the 6.6kw on-board charger and directly charges the battery at the DC charger kw value... the easy thing to say here is, only ever use a DC charger when charging at a public charger, but unfortunately not all public charging stations have a 50kw and above, the 22kw chargers are the most common around the country and most often you'll find you'll to stuck having to charge with a 22kw one rather than a 50kw one, so when we go to plug in to a public charger that's a 22kw one... but it's really only charging at 6.6kw max per hour, whereas the BZ4X's launching from Q4 will have an 11kw on-board charger and of course will be able to charge at 11kw per hour, so those lucky owners will charge almost twice as fast when plugged into a 22kw charger than us lot who'll only have a 6.6kw one.

But if you're ever only going to be charging at home and at night, then it doesn't matter.

Post edited by HTCJoeSoap on

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭society4

Thanks HTC fore explaining that so well. Would I be right in thinking then with a 6.6KW battery that it would take 1 hour to use the public charger instead of 30/40 minutes.

The BZ4X comes with a 71.4kw battery, so to get a full charge on a home charger from 0-100% is roughly calculated as 71.4 divided by 6.6 is 10.8 so round it off to around 11hrs (in colder weather it will be slower), so when the BZ4X is plugged into a public 22kw charger for 1 hour it will really only add about 6.5% of charge. The public chargers are really just designed for top-up's anyway and not really for designed for charging to full. Toyota have purposely chosen to slow the rate of charge for the BZ4X to make the batteries last longer as High Power Chargers (150kw and above) aren't good for EV batteries due to the heat the voltage levels as it can damage the anode and cathode of the batteries at microscopic level, but that's not to say don't use a 150kw chargers, just not several times a week.

But for me, I really want the 11kw on-board charger. I'm very disappointed that they're launching with the 6.6kw on-board chargers (for example, the Nissan Leaf's in 2016 had 6.6kw on-board chargers) No, car manufacturer in 2022 should be launching an EV with a 6.6kw OBC. I'm going to ask my dealer in Ashbourne if I can hold off till January as I want the 11kw charger. I know it might only seem a little faster, but faster is still faster.

I'm very disappointed that the BZ4X is only initially launching with a 6.6kw on-board charger. In Q4 it's shipping with an 11kw on-board charger. I'm going to ask my dealer if I can hold-off till January as I want the 11kw OBC.

I’m disappointed now too as I didn’t want to install a home charger but will have to now. I regret not getting the ioniq5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A brand new designed 2022 release EV, with a 6.6kW onboard AC charger is fairly shocking in fairness…..

as I mentioned above, a lot of folk will be getting into one of these as their first EV, and they are going to be so let down by the sub standard everything on this car… Slow AC charging, slow DC charging, Very poor range/consumption figures (can’t even hit EPA range which is much more realistic than WLTP range….. (of which it hasn’t a hope), will the wheels fall off..?

One last question, there is one 50kw fast charger near my home. How long would it take to charge the bz4x on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Why didn't you want to install a home charger?

I thought I could charge on a public charger once a fortnight as I’d only be doing 200km p wk. I also might like to get external insulation on the house in a years time and I thought it might be easier install then..

It's 30 mins to get 80% charge on a 150kw charger so on a 50kw charger it'll take 90 mins just to get 80%, but ESB public DC 50kw chargers have a max stay of 45 mins, otherwise they charge 4 euro-something for an over-stay fee.

• Advertisement

You'd still have to leave the car at a 22kw charger for nearly 10 hours and the 22kw public chargers have a max stay time of 7 hours otherwise they charge you an over-stay fee.

Totally agree, no car manufacturer should be launching an EV in 2022 with a 6.6kw on-charger. Nissan are launching the Ariya with an 11kw OBC and then in Q4 they'll be shipping them with 22kw OBC. That's exactly what Toyota should be doing. 6.6kw is absolutely shocking. It's like selling a brand smartphone that still uses an old Nokia charger. I might cancel my BZ4X and get an Ioniq 5, although I'm not mad on the interior dashboard, the battery and charging tech is next to none.

That’s sounds terrible…where are the 150kw chargers in south Dublin ? I’ll have to get a home charger.

Bad news... Dublin only has one 150kw charger located in the car park of Blanchardstown Shopping Centre beside TGI Friday's.

Do you think they will install more over the next few years…….

How many kw are the lidl ev chargers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

At the rate ESB are going I'd doubt it. You'll need to consider the charge curve on the car anyway. If you're trying to charge with a cold battery then you'll get significantly lower speeds.

There's three Ionity chargers just outside Dublin and then there'll be the Tesla Supercharger at Sandymount as well.

Lidl and Aldi are only 7kw chargers.

Although the 6.6kw on-board charger in Bz4x is disappointing, it's really only a small thing as long as you have home charger. At the end of the day, you'll actually probably end up absolutely loving your Bz4x. I love the interior and exterior of it and once I get to sit in it I'll probably completely forget about the 6.6kw OBC.

Mention it to your dealer just to see what they think.

They absolutely will install more of the next few years, they will be at least a few dozen within the next two years.

Good advice,thanks. I wonder would it affect the resale value of the car if you wanted to trade it in in 3 plus years…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

While I haven't used the Aldi chargers, any of the Lidl AC ones I've used are in fact at least 11kW (and car has reflected that), and indeed advertised as being 22kW but I can't verify beyond 11kW due to my Niro only having an 11kW OBC.

It won't really, Toyota will still give you a decent trade-in for it in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Just on the pile of bits comment.....

1) the European cars get a better battery pack then the US spec AWDs. With (charger permitting) a 30 mins to 80 percent time.

Not the dreadful (by current standards) 1 hour to 80 percent time of the US spec AWDs that have been reported.

2) the car itself is getting great reviews from UK reviewers in terms of being a lovely thing to drive for *normal users*.

My prediction

Most Irish users coming from a diesel or hybrid will *love it*.

Yeah, the BZ4X in the European market get the faster Panasonic batteries whereas the US market get the slower CATL batteries for all trims. The FWD in the European trims although will only have a max speed of 150kw on public chargers, but this really isn't an issue as such for Irish users as there's only a handful of 150kw chargers around the country anyway (only one in Dublin - in Blanch Shopping Centre car park beside TGI Friday's). There is the Ionity chargers as well and the Tesla chargers, but most Irish users for the time being will be using 50kw ESB chargers anyway. It'll still take 90 mins to reach 80% from zero, but if you have lets say, 20 or 30% charge in the car and you want to top up to 80% then, then 30 to 40 min at a 50kw charger will be sufficient for the distances that we do in Ireland. The US Youtube reviewers will complain a lot more about this as they all tend to do longer inter-state travel in the US so range would be more an issue for them.

So ... the BZ4X is almost perfectly suited for the Irish market and for Irish users and if you only do about 300km or less per week of driving generally, then you'll be totally love your BZ4X.

That’s very helpful info HTC…I’m so looking forward to getting the car. Bioscaler did you get a date for delivery ? Before the recall issue I was told 10th July and then 10days to register ….

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bioscaller

Yeah, 16th July I can pick it up with 222 plates. Hope they get the rubber floor mats and bootliner same day.

Great…Does the boot liner and rubber mats come with it or can you buy them ? Are they costly?

The rubber mats are 77€ and the boot liner is 107€ if available. They come separately.

Have you postponed your order for your BZ because of the onboard charger?

• Advertisement

Hey folks, I'm over in the UK this weekend visiting a mate of mine in Sheffield and yesterday afternoon I got to pop into a Toyota dealer in Rotherham and sit in the BZ4X that they had in their showroom... All I can say is wow. I have one on order from my dealer in Ashbourne Co.Meath and now I want it even more. I've been a bit nervous about getting it since reading recent negative and average reviews on it, but I'm in love with it already.

I have to say, out of all the EV's I have ever sat in (Ioniq 5, EV6, ID.4, Skoda Enyaq) the interior is hands down the best I've ever seen. The only thing I will advise to everyone who has one on order is to get yourselves a pack of micro-fibre cloths and keep them handy in the car as the piano black centre console and the large screen (while beautiful) is going to be a fingerprint and dust magnet. The model I sat in was the FWD version, but they've different trims level names for the Bz4x in the UK to the one's in Ireland.

The dealer guy said he got to do a range test on one he's bought himself last week and he said from a full charge he drove from his home just outside Rotherham down to Oxford and back again on a single charge and that it was a round-trip of 295 miles which works out at around 475 km's and he had around 5 or 6% left on the battery when he arrived home - that's very impressive. I was chatting to him for ages and he talked me through the infotainment system and all the settings - very impressed. I'm in love with it already. I can't wait now to get mine.

Advertisement