Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Give it a rest ffs and take your arguments to PM

• Registered Users Posts: 26,929 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Tesco is not alone, I think most people understand inflation and its affects but what is going on in supermarkets generally is seriously taking the Pee.

I live alone and essentially shop for the same items weekly in Tesco but mainly Aldi. Obviously some variations also.

I kept receipts over the past month just out of curiosity.

It's shocking what is going on.

Just at a basic level, on the essentials, I've literally seen increases on a weekly basis, some subtle others just outrageous.

I've seen increases from as little as €0.10 cents up €1.50, indeed the average increase and on more than one occasion on specific items as been on average €0.40 cents and no sign of it stopping.

I understand increasing transport costs, inflation etc but something is not right in my simple estimations. Supermarkets seem to be experiencing almost daily increases in inflationary costs whilst the rest of us are experiencing, monthly inflationary costs. Aldi in particular taking the absolute pee.

I would normally be reluctant to use the term gouging in the context of supermarkets but frankly I've absolutely no hesitation in saying, this is exactly what's going on.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Excuse you.

The quality of the product is just as important as the price. These comparison lists don't show a full picture at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

I agree wholeheartedly with you, they increasing their prices just for the sake of it.

Also I dont like Tesco's two price system, one price for their valu club customers and another one for the rest.

I was in there yesterday and notice their pantene shampoo selling at 4.99 but if you have a valuclub card you get it for 2.50. Surely they still making a profit selling it at 2.50, the whole thing doesn't smell right.

I'm genuinely trying to be objective but honestly I'm seeing what's going on with my own eyes, weekly and its disgraceful. I'm fortunate in only shopping for myself but my god, those shopping for families etc are being gouged wholesale.

I agree also with the two tier pricing structure at Tesco and whilst understand the Club card concept (I've got one now) the price differences are extraordinary, sometimes half the price. It makes me wonder if tesco can charge so little for club card members, surely they can spread the discounts around a little more 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Ozvaldo

tesco are a disgrace absolutely flaaying us on their prices -whats the bigger picture though?

is it that companies know people have the money and will spend it after 2 years of a lockdown -is that why everythings gone up second hand cars, buying a dog, getting a haircut petrol etc

irish people have no back bone they will accept everything

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Cool, sounds like you either know the difference already or you’ve got a pet project on your hands, let us know how you get on - the butter info has already been started for you, the rest shouldn’t take you too long.

Yes absolutely and this back's up the other poster

https://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/tesco-lidl-aldi-brand-secrets-26913918

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This thread is about prices not quality. Start your own thread on the quality aspect and give the rest of us some peace.

I like the lidl yogurts...... I knew they were in or around 39c, on Sath morning Mrs Mc Carthy for some reason asked for a paper receipt ( usually just a digital receipt on her phone)........you're 100% right......theyve jumped from 39c to 59c!!! Like 50%??? One other thing she got a shock off was butter........ now at 3.95c for 1lb. Kerrygold butter......that seems very inflated..

" shrinkflation" is a beautiful word.....i like that...... prior to the Ukraine invasion for years every Easter the Easter eggs were getting hit with ' shrinkflation'

Whilst not trying to deflect from prices to quality I have to say (and with some experience) own brand quality has improved dramatically since the days of Quinnsworth Yellow pack . From a taste and quality perspective looking at Own Brand , compared to Premium brand Butters , I see no discerning difference and I know my Butter.

Sliced bread too which is essentially water that can stand up , quality is similar. Actually one of the best brands of bread on the market IMO is the Soft Batch / wholegrain sliced loaf from Ballymore Crust , sold in Aldi and more than half the price of Premium brands.

Admittedly own Brand cereals may not be as good as Premium brands but Aldi's Weetbix as good as weatabix and a 3rd of the price and their Honey Crunch cornflakes equally as good as Kellogs equivalent.

Obviously personal choice plays a factor in people's choice, I was a snob about Tea for years , now only buy Aldi Gold blend for half the price of Barry's or Lyons, actually worth pointing out, I've seen no price increase in Aldi's tea prices , YET 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

And Lidl pushed up the price of

Weetabix to €5.25 couple weeks back, they just over €4 a box every place else. They still have their own brand selling beside them at €1.89, it just does not make sense.

And I stopped to look at the ingredients of both boxes, they were both exactly the same, like for like, it's not that the Weetabix brand was any bit more superior.

Post edited by Shauna677 on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Stock up on Aldi tea this week Dempo1

It's forecast that food inflation will persist for at least another year. Get used to it!

Yep and I'm outraged at how shrinkflation has impacted on the size of flakes being used for 99's , had one last week and shop assistant using a twizzer to place the flake in place, it's disgraceful 😏

Jesus....so on a nice summer's day you grab a sweet 99 & you gotta get microscope to see the bit of flake????? Disgraceful is too mild a word

Being Sunday, I was be Christian 😁 but admittedly purchased an extra tiny flake so as not to feel , hard done by 😁 next they'll be charging for the syrups 😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I can provide links to everything that you claim is crap and mis-informed. Maybe this will inform / educate you?

Check the CSO for inflation from 2008-2021. https://visual.cso.ie/?body=entity/cpicalculator €100 in January 2008 had a cost of €101.50 in January 2021. That's a combined cumulative total consumer price index of 1.5% over those 14 years. Not 1.5% a year, but a grand total of 1.5% for the entire 14 year period.

Check here on boards for farmers saying that fertiliser has dropped in price and still dropping (30% from peak)

Check any international commodity site and see what the timber prices are per ton. 40%+ off their peaks

Check Kingspan's press release to the market saying that building market is slowing and they expect price pressures in the market (they are saying they will have to reduce prices)

Check numerous sites about the mountain of food waste we have. Its the reason supermarkets stopped doing Buy one get one free on fresh foods and moved back to price reduction promotions.

Commodity Prices jumped far too much - kneejerk reaction. This has been feeding into retail. Its subsiding now and hopefully the forward expected increases will not now happen.

and finally - there has never been a market slowdown / recession where oil prices did not drop. There are signs of demand destruction in the energy market. A drop in oil and gas prices will follow as world economies slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Your article is 5 weeks old. A lot has changed in that 5 weeks.

The Wall Street Journal (July 1, 2022). Khan and Horner explained that, “Benchmark wheat prices are down by more than a quarter from their post-invasion peak, and the commodity trades for around $9 a bushel.

Ah lads, give the bitchy ' handbags at dawn' crap a break on a Sunday morning.......the THREAD is " Tesco price increases" ......... not the " variables of bushel prices in the wall street journal ".

I have been completely converted from a more expensive branded bread to Ballymore Crust - their multigrain loaf is my pan of choice.

€1.19 for an 800g loaf, (though admittedly it was 89c a few weeks ago). Toasted with some (own brand) real butter and a (standard) boiled egg, is my go to brekkie.

Also makes a very tasty sandwich with some salad and roast chicken (left over from my dinner). 😋

2 litre low fat milk is gone above 2 euro in supervalu. Own Brand

Not sure how much it costs in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MakersMark

If only these evil shop managers weren't forcing us at gunpoint in to their shop to buy their products.

Then we'd be able to shop elsewhere and force prices down through supply and demand.

Those rotters!!

The facts are that we've had it too easy for too long. The country is richer than its ever been.

New cars are bought up to a year in advance of being delivered, many of them costing 50k or more.

We are awash with imported food and drink from all over the world.

People need to objectively look at our lives now compared to those Irish people had in the 70s and 80s.

But the milk, cheese chicken , beef etc come from Ireland

That's totally off-point.........i took my first mortgage in 1988........ the rate was @ 6.9% & I borrowed the princely sum of 42K punts...... but what's that got to do with the topic at hand????? Yeah, a 4 bedroom house in rural roscommon is a fraction of the same house in D4 but we're discussing the massive ( abhorrent really) gouging in filling the weekly basket last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’m not a fan of the clubcards but yes I have every one of them as I reckon if you’re shopping there anyhow you might as well take whatever is going

• Advertisement

Everyone has to shop somewhere, and there doesn't seem to be any escaping these increases.

And though when I started this thread I titled it "Tesco" Price Increases (because I was annoyed at Tesco increasing a packet of crumbed ham by €1.01 at the time) the fact is, this thread has shown that it is going on everywhere, though Tesco is (imo) the worst for it.

I have moved 90% of my shop from Tesco to Aldi, but of the staples I buy every week, bread and fresh chicken have seen an increase in Aldi in the last two weeks. My ham slices also went up in Aldi this week - but by 0.30c, not €1.01.

Advertisement