Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Thing I find with Tesco is one week I can grab a couple of bags and it'll cost me 100 quid.

But the next week or few weeks running everything I buy is on a special, reduced to 1 euro, 2 for 1's , 3 for 2 euro etc... and the same bags will cost me 60 - 70 euro.

These items go back to normal price and on special all the time so price goes up and down.

But if I were to go driving around looking for cheaper in 4 other stores it makes no sense really as the money saved (is it really money saved??) over the year from the specials 30 one week, 40 the next week probably far outweighs all the driving to save .10 - .50 cent on a few items each week.

It's more luck I guess what's on offer or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I wouldn’t shop in Tesco often, usually just popping into the local Express for some of the branded specials but won’t be bothering anymore since, as I found out recently, the new Clubcard prices aren’t in the Express stores.

Bottles of Diet Coke for example are nearly always on special 2 for €4 or 3 for €6 but now this is a Clubcard price and they’re €2.93 each.

Another thing I seen on special online for €2 was €4.59 in the Express. I realise the Express stores are slightly more expensive because they’re like convenience shops but they used to have the same offers as the main Tesco stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,275 ✭✭✭✭zell12

T Mouthwash was 59c now €1 +69% 😯 Aldi version was 59c now 67c +14%

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭crayon80

Can we have more posts like this please - specifics with actual prices.

It'll improve the thread greatly IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The way to shop in Tesco, dunnes or super valu is to shop the special offers. That’s what I do plus a few other things I like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

A significant percentage of Tesco's offers are just junk food. The rest is typically branded items that are cheaper with Aldi equivalents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Tesco Finest Strawberry / Raspberry / Blackcurrant Conserve was €1.49 for 340g. Now €2.20 for 320g.

So, a 45% jump in price for a 6% reduction in size............. a bit like Zimbabwean " Hyperinflation " in the late naughties🤣

My doggies love the tinned stuff out of lidl.... used to be 99c for the 1kg tin.......i noticed a couple of weeks back it was gone to €1.39c......now, after reading your post I just went & checked a tin.......... yes .......900grms..........sneaky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,729 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'd rather have a price increase or shrinkflation (hmm but both is pushing it!) than the dreaded messing with the formula \ ruining the product with different ingredients so it's un-buyable.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Keelings Berry mixed punnet gone from 5 euro to 5.50. Weight still 360g but strawberries seem to be of a less quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

Tesco 2L sparkling water is up from 55c to 70c!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Milk has gone up again, now 1L of skimmed is 1.05.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That is true I think I, a lot of the offers seem to be sweets or biscuits. Go up the fruit veg aisle the offers seem far less prevalent though I think they do 2 for €5 on some fruit items but the saving is smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

I buy the big tub of meridian peanut butter. It's 1kg or maybe 1.5 I think. Anyway it was 9.40 the last time I bought it . I saw it yesterday for 10.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,275 ✭✭✭✭zell12

T chicken dippers was 1.39 now 1.55, Aldi version was 1.39 now 1.59

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Don't know what tesco you are in but diet coke is 2.65 online in in my nearest tesco. They are also on offer at 3 for €6. Offer until 22nd July and has been the same for at least the last 2 weeks.

They state very clearly that many offers are not applicable to express stores. That has always been the case.

I'm just trying to say that there is an end to the increase in sight as the raw material / commodity costs have peaked and started to drop and this will feed into pricing over the next 6-12 months and may also mean some companies will decide to minimise increases knowing that their costs will drop back a bit.

and world wheat prices dropping 30% from peak (but still 40% above last year) and fertiliser prices dropping 35% from peak is connected to Tesco price increases as they are the primary driver of these increases combined with energy prices.

Apologies if it's too positive for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,729 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Before the clubcard deals were a small range of 10-12 items. It hasn't always been the case that almost all their deals are under the Clubcard umbrella and if the Tesco express doesn't do the Clubcard deals, that's a significant change.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Buy your butter now - it keeps for months.

Lurpak butter gone to £9.35 in the UK for 1kg

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/lurpak-butter-cost-of-living-b2115877.html

A lb of keyygold butter now @ €3.95c in dunnes...... like 4euro for a pound if butter????? Seems extortionate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

50c microwaveable potatoes is good

Just happened to buy them and not the usual inedible stuff either very tasty

The price of every random thing seems to have jumped massively , must be price gouging going on somewhere

Yet we're being told to expect food inflation to continue like this for at least another year?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

454g of butter in Dunnes is €2.99, as it is in the other supermarkets.

If you want to pay an extra €1 for a Kerrygold wrapper, that's another story!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Tesco 2L milk e1.49 in late April,now e2.09 went up 20c jumps!! Last 20c increase in last 10 days.Dunnes sticking on e1.89 for now.

Tesco Butter Me Up 1kg e1.49 in late April now e1.89

Could be to pay for staff pay increase of 10% agreed earlier this year because cost inflation is not as high as the price increases overall.

Time for all retailers/manufacturers/service providers to cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭head82

My main 'bugbear' with Tesco and their pricing is the price of their own brand 1L bottle of flavored sparkling water. It's always been 35 cent. But in the last 4~6 weeks, it's increased to 60 cents!

Now I get there's an increase in inflation, fuel increases, transportation costs etc. But we're talking water here.. carbonated water with some flavorings. It's not Lourdes water or some rare Ukrainian water! An increase of 5~10 cents might be justifiable but a 25 cent increase on a 35 cent item.. can only only be seen as 'gouging'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think there is gouging going on. One thing Ive noticed over the years is that over in the UK they often implement price increases in odd pennys, so its not unusual to see an increase of 22p for example and end up paying something odd like £1.58 for the product. But here they often seem to just lurch to increasing it to the next biggest number so the increase will be 50 cents or a euro straight off the bat.

Anyway rare I shop in Tesco as I dont live near one but the one item I always buy is smoked applewood cheese. It went up from 1.37 to 1.79 on the last visit.

Also as a rare Tesco shopper with no clubcard Id be put off going in if they are now using price discrimination for non-clubcard holders. Yeah I could get one easy enough but I just couldnt be arsed carrying a card around for the odd time Im in Tesco which is once a month at best.

• Advertisement

???? Not like for like is it???? I drive an Audi a4........i understand a Ford fiesta is a fraction of the price but I don't want a fiesta

Advertisement