Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are they going to nuke all the buildings at the port?

Options
  • 01-07-2022 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

They're some feckin eyesore. I was talking to a local and he loves them because "they remind me I'm home bei". I'm a blow in so I have no attachment to them whatsoever. I think they should be carpet bombed. Such a disgusting sight when you're coming into the city.

Is there some kind of sentimental value to those moldy buildings? Like those Chernobyl coal factory towers in Dublin.

Why are they still standing?

Also the merchants quay building should be nuked too. Looks like a Catholic mother and baby home or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Why don't you go and find investors, buy all the different parcels of land down there (some derelict, some still in commercial use), get planners, architects and engineers to draw up plans, sort out all the environmental issues down there, get planning permission, and then come back and tell us how easy it all is and scold the city for being too lazy to do it up to now.

The only thing that needs to be carpet bombed is your brutally simplistic naive attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

"The only thing that needs to be carpet bombed is your brutally simplistic naive attitude."

Brilliant response!

Although, to be fair, he is right about Merchant's Quay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Be right back

To think they demolished old victorian buildings and built that! They might take out the bus station while they are at it!

No. The Bus station is a unique and iconic building! Is nothing sacred?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I just said nuke then / demolish. Why do I need to hire architects etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭thomil

I've seen image of the site before the shopping centre was built. Whatever is wrong with the current building, and spoiler alert, it's a lot, it is still lightyears ahead of the previous shantytown at that location. Old does not automatically mean worth preserving!

As for the docks, they've had their time. Anything that was worth preserving down there was destroyed a long time ago, with the exception of the Odlums building. Anything left now is just an industrial wasteland.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

And some of the structures weren't that old at the time. I remember them having particular problems demolishing one of the buildings on the site - I think it was the old St Vincents (?) hostel- as it was made of reinforced concrete. Other structures like the Tivoli Grill next to Mangans were also neither old nor , in my view, particularly attractive.

Now that's not to say that the Merchants Quay monolith is some visual improvement but the original site was an amalgam of old and relatively modern structures and some of the old ones were in poor structural condition, IIRC.

Ugh, no kidding about the current building. That thing's like a WW2 U-Boat bunker that someone threw some brick cladding on. I'd go so far as to say that it probably would have looked better if they'd opted for a purely brutalist aesthetic like with the Boole Library over at UCC.

They tried that with the government buildings on Sullivan's Quay and people couldn't wait for it to be torn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Where are you going to get this nuke from? Mr Price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

To be fair, once you have the materials, a "plug"-type nuclear weapon (a.ka. the on dropped on Hiroshima) can be assembled and made to work with relatively few issues. The downside is that, compared to implosion-type nukes that are the norm these days, the fission reaction is relatively inefficient and a large part of the fissile material just gets pulverized and spread, rather than exploding. Applied to the topic at hand, that would leave the docklands contaminated for quite some time, especially if you opt for a ground level explosion rather than an air burst.

Doh 😊

Although, in my defence, over the years I have heard people wishing for it to be torn down!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Aren't they keeping the Odlams building though as there was a planning notice on the front of it a while back and I think it’s a protected structure. Those two towers need to go though as they look awful. As others have said merchants quay is a terrible looking building, as was the opera house until they put the new front on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

What is the street to the right of Tivoli Grill, Fish Street? I think Merchant Street (which still exists a small bit off Parnell Place) was the one next to Roches Stores. Speaking of Roches Stores, the building next to it was thankfully knocked and replaced by a better (badly in need of a paint) building - https://goo.gl/maps/9jrHfNok9Rsdrtdw6

Yes. A decision is due next week. Offices, retail, apartments and a rehab hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

What is the story with the rehab hospital? Private hospital?

Advertisement