Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of warfare (How should Ireland build their millitary)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭nokpam

In general, I'm speaking in general lol.

Oldmariner or something is who I was replying to I think. I do tend to ramble though.

Do we need to bullet-point **** here? A powerpoint presentation or something?

I'm not necessarily replying to anyone or to any specific point at any time.

Is that ok? Sir?

It's not difficult to follow my train of thought if you have an ounce of wit about you. Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Now you are just being a bore. I'll ignore you from now on. Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,518 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

suffering from not having a credible doctrine. We need to decide what its purpose is..

I think this is true not just in the air but of all the services.

But these forums are not interested in a gradual buildup up capability, or moderate measures. So any discussion that isn't a huge ramp up in capability, will be not be welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I think we should have an independent policy not part of a bloc. That might mean taking sides (as with Ukraine). We should have a strong military deterrant. Flexible modern equipment. this doesn't cost too much but is more that we spend currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭sparky42

We are already part of a bloc, being a member of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I was thinking more of a military bloc. I guess the EU may go that way..

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ancientmariner

We can make a sensible contribution to the defence of Europe by picking from defence tasks and equip to do that well in consort with others . As an Island we are in a Marine environment and should be skilled at Marine landings, Mining and clearing mines, detecting and dealing with submarines, surveillance in all dimensions, helicopters for troop insertion land and sea, MPA with ASM, all arms air defence capability, and land mobile response units with strike missiles.

As a Naval contribution think One MRV, Four 115m Vard's, 4 MCM vessels, two minelaying vessels, Twelve 25 knot + attack torpedo craft, and two bases on west and east coasts. In addition we must up our use of offensive drone technology. Some of the skills required passed through the Service from 1940's to 1971 and were allowed lapse. What you do has to be relevant and not just observing and reporting.

The vessels involved in last weeks AS exercise west of Scotland has a Canadian Frigate ( H) weekending in Cork. We should be capable of joining such teams.

Given some of the deepest waters in the world le within our EEZ, (5km down in the Porcupine bight) then we have potentially the best area for ASW training.

• Advertisement

Course, the Fishermen would be quick to start complaining about that as well…

But we'd be making it safer for them to plunder the sea... er, I mean scrape out a living..

Ah wait till “the sonar is ruining the fish” argument comes out…

But oddly not the sonar they are using to find the fish....

are you suggesting logic from the fishing industry? Next you’ll be saying farmers might stop complaining about the weather…

Some members enjoy the frivolity of clowning while the main acts are coming on. There is a current need to defend our country from ongoing cyber attacks and guard against organisational and productive shut downs. I agree that the tactics and smaller formation capabilities of our Infantry units have been proven in Un operations. We need to put in place the dimensional aspects of defence on land Sea and Air. There must be an immediate Defence Plan based on some co-operation with European Defence. perhaps also participate in ready Force units.

I have always believed Ireland erroneously focused its core reserve in Combat units, instead of Combat service support. This is where civilian skills could be put to best use, more so in time of emergency. For many years in the UK, for example, the majority of Logs units were reservists. The heavy plant operators and maintainers,drove their trucks and plant during the week, but during annual exercises, deployed to Canada and Germany on exercise with the main body of troops, bringing their skills with them. Skills many had learnt during their earlier time in uniform anyway.

To simplify the idea somewhat, during the harsh winter some years ago, we saw soldiers on the streets from an infantry unit shovelling snow with hand shovels. Surely the same amount of CoE sappers,qualified on mechanical diggers would have made a much greater impact on the community? In times of natural disaster, you want all hands on, but also you need the guys who can operate chainsaws, cranes, the riggers, the electricians to get the country going again.

No offence intended to the infantryman filling sandbags.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It is an argument which has been made in the US, but has its downsides as well, mainly relating to recruiting and retention. Yes, your reserve construction engineer battalion made up of folks who are road workers, house builders, carpenters, electricians, etc, may well be the best construction engineer battalion in the army…, but that is only if you can fill it.

whilst, sure, there are some folks who join support units because they truly enjoy their job, or because they want to get into the job and are relying on the Army to train them in the skills, in large part we find that given that people have to want to volunteer to spend their time, they may not be interested in support units. Why should they volunteer their time only to do what they are already doing Monday through Saturday every week anyway? After a week of hammering nails into wood, they want to blow something up. We have little trouble filing combat units, filling the support units is often a little trickier.

Our biggest problems are to recreate the modern versions of the skills and equipments that have been deleted from our OB. When we deleted equipment , the DOD also went for disposal of the primary assets such as all the Coastal Forts. They also got rid of major Posts , Barracks, and Hospitals and large acreage facilities. We need mobile CDM, ADM systems , and Long range ARTY, and geo-positions to fire from. The Navy needs a restored Defensive/Offensive edge and likewise the Air Corps. The Surveillance task, and who will do it, needs to b clearly identified and co-ordinated.

The major danger at all times is the propensity of elected parliamentarians to shut down or curtail major State assets and in the long term leave the country totally dependent on others far afield. Lastly the provision of port facilities is a decision and matter for Government through the ACTS as appropriate.

Advertisement