Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD channels on freesat breaking up

Options
  • 30-06-2022 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I previously used a Sky HD box for freesat channels without any issues on HD channels.

I’m using the same cable and now have it plugged in to a TCL 43” new TV with a built in satellite tuner. The signal strength and quality are both showing 100%. All SD channels are crystal clear but the HD channels break up and are unwatchable. I’ve tried connecting a different cable that runs from the same satellite dish and get the same picture degradation as the original cable so that would seem to eliminate a cable fault. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it? Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

New summer leaves on nearby trees blocking dishes 'view' of satellite?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rtobrien

Thanks for the reply. No, nothing has changed with the satellite position. The HD channels via the Sky box on another TV (signal from the same satellite dish) are working perfectly. Is a built in tuner more sensitive to signal quality? I have just done an auto scan on the Astra 28.2E for finding channels for the built in tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

At this stage it sounds like a fault with the tv.

Can you check if it has any software updates available?

Thanks. Yes, I have checked for software updates but the TV is already up-to-date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

My guess if the TV can pick up other channels - its not the tv - but it could be the cable maybe? Is it a longer run of cable to the tv that is not working? Could the cable be old or damaged?

If there is a more manual way of specifying the frequencies than an autoscan - maybe try that - it might be border-line strength...

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

that same problem happened to a range of lg tv.s a couple of years back which lg solved with a software update eventually.

the hd channels are using a different transmission system and were overloading the tuner.

some people tried attenuating their signal before the software update and they said it worked. i am not sure how succesfully though.

i dont think you will be as lucky getting tcl to do an update.

report the tv as faulty to whoever you bought it from.

do a search for av forums and lg bbc hd freesat issue if you want to read about it

Thanks for all the info jonnygee - much appreciated.

Advertisement