Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks v Ireland - July 2 8.05am Ireland time

• 30-06-2022 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Ireland looking v flat. Big ask to compete against an all black team no doubt looking to avenge defeats in recent times.

NZ at -12 handicap at the bookies is looking like free money !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Madeoface

I'll be watching from behind a sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭joedamuss

The starting team although not or strongest can do a job, but our bench is a huge concern, no impact at all apart from Bundee, hope our front row can play 80 min worries about Beirnes fitness as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

New Zealand are set up to literally beat the sh!t out of us, with S Barrett at 6 and PG Sowakula at 19. its very difficult to get back up and link into patterns after youve been monstered in a tackle.

They will completely want to slow all of our ball down and chase the 9 / first receiver.

our lack of a couple of ball carriers in the tight to get us going forward is going to hurt us. i think their second row is the winning of the game.

Lowe versus Reece is a tasty battle, though I fear Fainga'anuku v Earls.

the logic of only bring 40 players is laid completely bare now, when we have 8 players in the 23 who will have played the Wednesday prior (2 of them doing a full 80, with Earls starting for a second game in a row) I fear what the team will be like in 3 weeks, it may be completely unrecognisable from the expected team for the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Not sure how POM is selected over Conan , and as much as I liked Earls , at 34 we surely have a better alternative.

why is Larmour not on bench ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Conan hasn't had that great a season, I don't think him dropping to the bench is a massive shock to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

POM has had an outstanding season and Conan has had a drop in form from earlier in the season.

I didn’t think expect it, but equally I don’t think it’s a massive shock either. Certainly not in the “not sure how” category, for me.

EDIT: what leakyboots said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

For all we know, Larmour may have picked up a knock. Earls won't let us down.

POM over Conan is no surprise, he's in better form.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I hope you are right , but am not confident at all , Earls best days are behind him as a 34 year old winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Frawley, Lowry on bench would offer more than Carbery and Aki imo.

So play Frawley (who was far from spectacular yesterday vs. a Maori All Black team with 10 debutants) against an experienced All Black squad with a combined 946 caps instead of Carbery who has came off the bench in each of Ireland's 3 victories over the All Blacks?

Give your head a wobble!

• Advertisement

Exactly. Frawley has more to his game than Carbery, and can slot in comfortably in the center

Would agree that he is a good choice if you wanted a centre on the bench. But Aki is on the bench and Carbery can also cover full-back.

Frawley has had 1 start at 10 for Leinster in the 21/22 season and 2 appearances off the bench wearing the 22 jersey. Carbery has had more starts for his country at 10 than Frawley has for his club.

I don't think a game against an experienced All Black side who haven't been beaten in Eden Park in 28 years is the place to drop in an inexperienced 10.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Suppose the question is whether Frawleys unknown is worse than Carberys rather average known?

My thought is if we need a spark to create a score, Frawley and Lowry off of the bench is going to offer more than Carbery and Aki.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But Carbery’s known coming off the bench vs the All Blacks has been reasonably good.

Particularly his goal kicking. If we need a penalty to take the lead, I’d have Carbery significantly ahead of those you’ve mentioned.

He's a very good kicker, no arguments there. Don't know that the rest of his game has been anything of note. I can't remember him having any impactful actions in those games.

I don't think a test in Eden Park is the right environment to see if an uncapped player is good enough or not. 3 players made their debut in 2012 in Eden Park, one of which was never capped again, another had just 6 further appearances from the bench. An environment like that can do more damage than good.

Ireland's aim is to win a test series, if that fails, the next option should be to win at least 1 test. I think its a wiser decision to choose the tried and trusted in the first test at least. I'll admit Carbery has never been spectacular for Ireland, at the same time, he has never been a disaster either.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Clever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ronan Loughney of Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Sexton, Earls, O’Mahony, Healy and Murray were all involved in the 2012 match that was Ireland’s largest defeat ever.

Smith, Whitelock, Retallick, and B Barrett were on the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

On a stag in Edinburgh for weekend, any suggestions of where we could see the game on Saturday morning over there?

Teams announced

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭VayNiice

I'm concerned about Earls on the wing. I really don't see what he offers over the others at this stage. He was being outrun consistently yesterday and made some poor decisions. Larmour had a much better game imo. Do we want a 35 year old winger in our WC squad next year?

Fainga anuku will be licking his lips. Hopefully we won't have a repeat of Hosea Gear.

The Ireland team hasn't changed much since the last meeting of the two teams.

Change of hookers due to injury, Henderson opens a slot for Beirne to start and Treadwell to bench, Earls for Conway, Henshaw pushes Aki to the bench, O'Mahony starts ahead of Conan.

New Zealand have a few changes but the spine hasn't changed too much, change at left wing, inside centre, both flankers (Cane back as captain), perhaps most significantly both props. On the bench they've a change at hooker, prop, lock, and outside back.

Looking at that NZ 23, there are a lot of older players from 1-10 around 30ish, and the 11-15 are all young mid-twenties.

By comparison, we have a few younger forwards, and a few older backs.

Add Coombes and Larmour to that starting 15 in place of O'Mahony and Earls, and possibly Carbery for Sexton, and I'd say that could well be our World Cup team.

Will be very interesting to see how they evolve their game over the next year, and this will obviously be a big test of their defence and their mental toughness.

I just hope we can come out with intensity. Each time we've beaten NZ, they've come out in the next match and absolutely smashed us with aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭letsbefair

Watch them take Johnny out. They will target Earls. They are ruthless and don’t loose at Eden Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

the team Saturday we know what these Irish lads can do

there is this tour and England and France next 6 nations , 5 too tier games left between now and the World Cup

I don’t get the logic of selecting sexton , furlong, Peter omahoney, earls, ringrose, henshaw and Murray healy and Aki on the bench

it’s makes no logical sense for the World Cup and that is why we never do well at the World Cup. I am disappointed in farrell, really brain dead stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Over which options? Larmour and O’Brien picked up knocks in the game yesterday and aren’t available.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Madeoface

Who's the replacement / whats the adjustment if Earls has another game like Wednesday and has to come off? Who goes to 14?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Advertisement