Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cattle crush popping up

• 28-06-2022 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Vet asked us to put a bolt or something through the part of the crush in pic attached.

She advised a cattle could pop up the whole thing by jerking upwards.

Any easy way of doing it? Drilling it might be difficult.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Either drill it or weld a bit of flat to the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Does that bit not need to turn. Is there clearance if you put something in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

What about drilling the box iron above it and putting in bolt with plenty of washers and that would keep any animals from popping it up whilst allowing the bit below to turn (if needed)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭irishguy19772

Yes it does turn. Opens out when opening crush. So it will have to be something flush enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Can you weld on a piece, just enough to the extreme left in the closed position to prevent it from lifting up, and still allowing it rotate 180 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Strong jubilee clip on the stub, might be just about enough room for it to rotate

Off farm spot with no electricity so was hoping not have to weld.

Would the jubilee clip stop it popping up though. Suppose worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Is it hens or cattle you want to keep in with that jubilee clip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

A sharp 6mm bit and plenty of lubricant and you’d be through it in a few minutes.

Or drill the post above the pipe and put a long bolt in it. Would be handier done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A decent battery operated drill will sort that. One way is a bolt above the round bar. However an easier fix is a piece of angle iron. Drill two small holes in it at home. Then above the round bar attach it with two tec screws. Drill small pilot holes on crush first.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Needles73

Well definitely don’t use a jubilee clip. The best solution was drilling the section above it and putting in a long bolt with washers or a piece of angle iron

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Well I got an old fusion baler back in action one Sunday that was breaking the chain on the roller.

3 weeks later baler back and same jubilee clip still in place even though the owner had sourced a new housing

I see my suggestion has already being condemned obviously by some one with more experience than my self.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Drill a hole in a piece of 2 inch angle at home. Bring your cordless drill and drill the post above the gate and bolt your angle here. This will prevent the gate from being lifted off.

Edit. Bass and needles have same idea above.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The part that will lift out of the eye is a rounder painted nut will rust building up under the paint. The vet for s afraid that a strong wild animal jumping and bouncing will lift it out of the eye. While the jubilee clip might work It's not the safest option

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Keep the jubilee clips for the water pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That cannot pop up unless the hinges on the other part of the gate are of similar design or very very loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Putting a bit of angle on top is the simplest.

Or if the cattle can pop the whole thing can you not just lift it off, take it home and drill out a hole in the bottom part and run a roll pin or bolt through it? From looking at it I don't see how it can swing as it would be hinge bound fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

This would be my opinion also, didn't understand from picture at start but that is two half gates with sliding ( up/down ) latch closing on 2nd gate ? Some way of restraining latch down would be better option ( sorry if I've gotten wrong idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I'd be more incline to go with a more safer fixing, difference being that someone could be injured if the j clip failed on the crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the comments. I have had a closer look there and this seems to be the issue. This latches down over the gate but if shook hard enough could jump up and open the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've more or less the same type of gate. I use a chain and shackle and tie it so it can't jump up. It opened once or twice in the past when I had a cow in it.

You could get a bit of steel and hinge it over the top so it hangs down preventing it from jumping. Just swing it up then to open gate.

I've bought a new gate and waiting to change it.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭148multi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Would welding a smaller diameter threaded bar with a nut on the end of it work? That way you could open the nut if need.

Advertisement