Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

My initial reply didn't explain. I didn't mean they would actually have one. jus they would ramp up the calls for one.

Throw that in the mix and suddenly the UK government are actively playing with the union. The Scots would demand one as well. That is pretty intense political pressure and no UK PM want to be the one that signs off on the end of the the union.

SF are not stupid, or short-sighted, enough to actually demand one. But if the Uk insist on ripping up the NIP, and thus meaning a border is required, I think SF will place the border (they have no choice if in government) with the line that a border poll is the only viable option at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

The shift I mentioned is evident on this thread.There was a time any talk of the EU imposing a hard border was unthinkable. Impossible to provide a source as the EU hasn't decided their plan of action.I don't think it will get that far personally and the UK will get their way with the EU saying we were offering that all along which may well be true but we won't get to hear that here in the UK..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I really don't think much has shifted really.

The position here I think has always been that any introduction of a border will be as a direct response to UK misbehaviour as part of a package of penalties and sanctions implemented by the EU - One that I don't expect to last very long either.

There will never be a scenario where the EU "offer" a border as a long-term solution to the UK's self-inflicted wounds as a result of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Actually if you go back in this thread as well as its predecessors you can see that many pragmatists myself including have always said a border was far better than leaving the single market.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

With someone like Johnson in charge Sinn Fein will probably vigorously call for a border poll knowing he will never allow one which is win/win for them.

• Advertisement

The EU imposing a hard border is unthinkable. The EU will never impose a hard border in or around ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That's the usual twisty way brexiters and British nationalist types seem to frame all this.

It won't be the EU "imposing" this border (for goods flowing between NI-Ireland, paperwork and/or involving physical checks somewhere at some stage), it'll be the UK putting Ireland (and EU) in quite a tough place deliberately for its politicial purposes and basically the wider geopolitical goals (disrupting & weakening the EU), and Ireland then chosing the lesser evil (in my view).

If you think that's some kind of great achievement by the UK govt., well have at it. You can spin it all you want and sneer its the EU "imposing a border" etc etc but it won't make up down, or down up, and Irish people will see all this for what it is. I expect its going to make for some fairly poisonous relations with this country for a good while to come if it plays out that way. Not that this UK govt. or its deluded supporters will care I'm sure!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's only been brought up on this thread because of a certain poster incessantly perpetuating a Quisling narrative. It's not a good metric for the position of either Ireland or the EU.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Of course the options are being considered, wouldn't it be irresponsible not to consider the options, there are only 2, impose a border RoI / NI or have risk assessed checks between RoI and mainland EU until the Brits can be encouraged to grow up and adhere to the agreement they made?

It's absolutely not clear that the EU won't end up in a trade war with UK, it certainly won't be their first step but it may be where things end up over time.

You are attributing "soothing tones" to a simple analysis of the options. Even if the EU went full metal jacket and dove straight into a trade war we would still have to decide between an RoI / NI border or risk assessing goods going from RoI to EU until that trade war was won.

If the UK Govt goes ahead and implements the NIPB the only two questions to be answered will be:-

1. Do we impose an RoI / NI border or accept risk assessed checks on goods flowing RoI to EU?
    2. How long will the arrangement decided in #1 have to be in place before the Brits re-join the grown ups?

And "no", AFAIK there are no risk assessments for goods leaving any other EU state for another and perhaps, just perhaps, that would be because no other EU state has a land border with the UK which is subject to a very finely balanced peace agreement which the British decision to Brexit has put at risk?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Look, the EU are taking UK Gov through the courts, and preparing further actions to be triggered when it appears to be apposite.

The EU has big bazookas, and will not hesitate to use them when they have a target in the crosshairs. Air travel, CoL, checks at EU ports, plus others we could only imagine - perhaps huge tariffs on Scotch whiskey to cheer up their old friend Frosty, the NO man.

Remind me, what happened when Greece took on the EU when they thought that the EU were not giving them enough? Did the EU increase their offer, or did they reduce it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I see the police have wasted no time in shutting down veteran anti-Brexit protester Steve Bray with their new powers and our reduced rights. It's utterly disgraceful and the sort of thing I'd expect in Poland or Hungary.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

@fly_agaric said "The UKs trade agreement will quickly vanish in a puff of smoke once they pass this law and they will get their nasty "No Deal Brexit" but I've always been sceptical that could ever force change if their politicians are set on this course of getting rid of the NI protocol." (Hate not being able to selectively quote in this version of Boards:-()

For me this NIP row is the logical conclusion of the following:-

• HoC pass the Benn (surrender) Act tying BoJo's hands and preventing him from going full No Deal Brexit.
    • BoJo (ERG really) decides if it's going to be a no holds barred battle for Brexit they might as well propose the NIP, "Get Brexit Done" and as soon as they have purged the Tory party of non Brexit fundamentalists, won a decent HoC majority and can whip up Unionist opposition to the protocol (never going to be very difficult to achieve) they go all in on unilaterally ripping up the WA in the full knowledge that ultimately the EU may have to terminate the TCA if all other measures to get the NIP back in operational fail.
    • BoJo (the ERG) get their No Deal Brexit and stick two fingers up to the HoC and the Benn (Surrender) Act whilst being able to say that they did in fact get a deal but the nasty old EU took it away from them just because they made a few minor tweaks to the NIP in order to protect the GFA which is so very important to them not because they are proud of the peace agreement but because it's a convenient way to justify being the duplicitous dishonourable people they are.

I lived and worked in London for 7 years and found most of my English colleagues to be fairly conservative (small c) and trustworthy. It amazes me how quickly a nation which had over centuries earned a reputation for democracy and rule of law etc has completely and utterly trashed that reputation and is becoming more and more isolated and insular.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭tanko

A hard border on the island of Ireland isn’t going to happen, Bojo the clown needed to create yet another distraction from the complete and utter mess he’s making of everything he does. The UK is is a very weak negotiating position with the EU, this nonsense won’t change that.

But but but, just wait another two weeks, something something something……………

Its remarkable that as options are considered in the light of DUP and Tory insistence about the Protocol that the dismissal of the sovereignty of Ireland and the de facto dismissal of the people and their democratic decisions about the EU are no part of your calculus.

I have no doubt that view is reflected in FG and the FF of MM.

Quite frankly it is intolerable.

54 and 56 said: “ It amazes me how quickly a nation which had over centuries earned a reputation for democracy and rule of law etc has completely and utterly trashed that reputation and is becoming more and more isolated and insular.”

That description of the UK is not based on the reality of its conduct. It is their own myth and story telling about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The Bill is working as intended, it is keeping those quiet that the current UK Government wants to keep quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

It's not correct that "Ireland& EU will not impose a border". Ireland has obligations EU EU & EU has obligations to its citizens and its trading partners to have borders.

If the position of Ireland & the EU were actually "never any border under any circumstances", then the UK could very easily blackmail Ireland & the EU - "give us everything we want or else we'll flood the single market with cheap illegal rubbish or you impose a border" - just like surrendering to Putin & his nuclear threats.

Instead Ireland & EU's position is no negotiated solution which includes accepting a hard border. Outside a negotiated solution - such as the UK reneging - a hard border is theoretically possible. Now the EU would of course revoke the TCA, the US would put pressure on the UK & the EU would likely have others (Australia, Canada, Japan) also put pressure on the UK - & the EU & Ireland would act slowly as the British economy collapsed into anarchy, so it is highly unlikely the UK would get to this point - but it is theoretically possible (& it is the only possible escalation path for Ireland).

Of note, it was Ireland that first imposed the customs border in 1920s and did so because the UK was attempting to take advantage of no border in order to destroy the independent Irish economy by flooding the country with subsidised goods, hence suffocating Irish independence at birth.

Ireland did & will always do anything - including cutting a part of itself off & installing a border to escape British control.

It is very much correct that Ireland and the EU will never impose a border.

We have an agreement which negates the need for a border. If the UK break that they will impose a border.

Irexiters push the line that "the EU will impose the border" so that they can later point to the EU "punishing" poor little UK.

Under no circumstances will a border be created by the actions of the EU so stop victim blaming.

You misunderstand:

By reneging on its treaties, the UK can relatively simply if painfully & illegally, cause Ireland & the EU to have to put up a border somewhere on Irish/EU territory as Ireland & the EU have various obligations to install borders.

The precise location will be decided by Ireland - but it would eventually, after some foot-dragging to see if the UK economically survives, be on the border with NI.

The questions are:

Would UK ever go that far?

How long can it survive the resultant economic catastrophe?

I don't misunderstand at all. Tho say Ireland or the EU is imposing a border is deliberate misinformation.

A border will have to go up because of the actions of Westminster. Caused and imposed by the actions of Westminster and no one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's good to see the realisation sinking in as to the situation.

Only firm EU action will stop this behaviour. That's the reality.

We have had words and some legal action so far after 6 years of destabilising harassment from our neighbour.

Not good enough.

Strong disagree. The EU has already boxed the UK into a small corner. By bending over backwards in October, the EU prevented any EU member states from having any sympathy for further British duplicity as well as preventing any sympathy from third party states.

The EU has already communicated that if the UK proceeds to formalise its reneging on the NIP, then the UK can kiss the TCA goodbye.

Given its 45 year history, the UK is also fully aware that the EU will not accept a treaty partner reneging on its treaty obligations.

In the meantime, what is to be gained by assisting Johnson & the Brexiters with their victim narrative?

Are you suggesting Johnson & the Brexiters would accurately convey such messages to the British public?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is tedious beyond belief. We have had 6 years of demagoguery and the UK eventually acquiescing and doing what it agreed to. It is schoolboy nonsense and if they ever follow through with their threats (threats they have shouted about ad nauseum for years) they will immediately face an actual response. They are children and should be treated as such - ignore their tantrums.

I don't disagree but before the advent of social media and a gazillion sources of news / info it was easy enough for the UK to behave quite tyrannically but PR and Charm their way to maintaining an image of trustworthiness and honesty etc as there was only a handful of influential newspaper owners / editors etc. Not only have BoJo and Co taken Perfidiuos Albion to new lows but the entire world gets to see it as the UK Govt spin doctors no longer dictate what is reported and discussed and what isn't.

The EU has been firm and will continue to be firm but they will be deliberate and calculated whereas you want them to rush in and do what exactly apart from feed the BoJo / ERG trolls? This is a long game where short term actions are of no consequence.

You don't play poker by any chance do you?

You are completely wrong. This behaviour has been having a direct impact on this country since the Brexit vote. It's destabilising, it's introducing uncertainty and the clock is ticking on our membership of the SM. You are entitled to opinion, not fact. We won't go a week with the UK's policy should it pass before the end of the year without checks going up between us and the EU. Deny it all you like, it's as simple as that.

We have not gotten the support we need from Europe. The EU doesn't even take appropriate action against it's own members (Hungary and Poland) for totally breaking the law for goodness sake and yet they will take action against the UK?

Always jam tomorrow. We needed action before.

You should be the ones demanding a firm response to the UK's treatment of our own country, supposedly an EU member.

Answer me this. Do you think the EU would leave Belgium, to pluck one out, at the behest of a vote in the British Parliament that would decide their future?

Please answer that question and maybe you'll understand more fully my anger at the current state of affairs.

We need to demand more protection not have thumbs in our ears talking nonsense about EU greatness and 4d chess. It's a load of nonsense.

Gas stuff altogether pure and utter fantasy.

You only want the EU to act first because you know it's a bad move for the EU. And for same mad reason you think repeating it here every few weeks will make it happen.

It won't need to be repeated much longer, sadly. Sirens everywhere. That's what's gas. I said before I'm the one trying to keep us in the SM and your the ones trying to get us out of it as quickly as possible!

Absolute BS. You hate the EU and the SM and are fooling no one.

• Advertisement

I've repeatedly said I have no issue whatsoever with the the single market. Please quote where I've ever said otherwise.

Advertisement