Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan-to-income limit (LTI)

Options
  • 27-06-2022 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi everyone,

I know that there is a general limit of 3.5 times gross annual income for all new mortgages to buy a house. I want to ask that we can mortgage to buy 2 house and borrow up to 3.5 times income for every house?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A second house (at the same time) would not be a PPR mortgage and have entirely different rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭XsApollo

2 houses at the same time?

not possible, you can only have one PPR, presuming one of them would have to be a buy to let , banks have different rules for buy to let mortgages.

or already have one house mortgaged and you are buying another?

presuming you can afford a second mortgage then the second one will be 3.5 limit yes, both mortgages don’t come under the 3.5 limit together.

there are rules and stuff about buying a second house, you can only have one PPR so one of them would be classed as a buy to let, bigger deposit for the second house and so on.

I stand to be corrected on the above , but that’s how I remember it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For a BTL you need minimum 25% deposit normally to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Henry Ngo

2 houses are not a same time. The 2nd house may be bought after the 1st house about a few of years.

For examples, can I mortgage 60% for the 1st house (3.5 times income) and after 2 years, I continue to mortgage 60% for the 2nd house (also 3.5 times income)?. I still mortgage 55% for the 1st house (have just paid 5%).

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

I dont believe so, they will take into consideration your current outstanding balance and take this out of the 3.5 your income, there is no way one could afford 7 x income anyway so you couldn't meet the stress tests id imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kurooi

In theory yes, I did that. Bought a starter, traded up, kept the old one. It's classed as an investment I believe but there is no requirement to let it out. Banks are suprisingly chill so long as you keep repayments up.

You can buy a house, then apply for another mortgage and buy another house. They have individual 3.5 LTI limits so you can in theory borrow 7 times your salary. Heck I even got an LTI exception on the second one so probably borrowed about 7.5 times. Points to note are :

• when you're buying the second property you will need a 20% deposit
    • Banks will not grant this easily. the decision will depend on your income, spouse, professions, remaining LTV of your old house, size of deposit.
    • Get your first home revalued and submit that to the bank, you want that LTV to be as low as possible so the bank don't see your two properties as a risk.
    • Your best bet is to try with your current lender.
    • First time buyer mortgages are approved pretty much automatically, just have a job and a deposit, computer says Yes. Your second mortgage request is going to be scrutinized by humans for sure.

I cannot stress enough how much you should not count of this second mortgage getting approved. But you can try your luck.

Advertisement