Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Galway football is in a better place tonight than it has been for years.

We won we let them back in against the run of play but still saw it out to win.

Derry next in the simi final and it sounds a bit familiar if you're old enough.

Armagh, derry and meath

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Avon8

What a fcuking day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Has there ever been 8 minutes injury time before it was insane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Times a million. What sport is built for. Just had a quick look at the tunnel incident:

Sean Kelly doesn't seem involved at all. Is there other footage.

Can a sub (Galway) be suspended for swinging at a lad I'm guessing shouldn't be near a pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Congratulations to Galway tonight. I was concerned ye were poor defensively and not fit enough. But at least on this occasion, penalties returned the right winner. Best of luck v Derry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

Great win. You got to love the spirit of this team, all 14 out field players and subs gave it there all. Molloy, Kelly, mcdaid, daly, teirney and finnerty were excellent all the way through. Will flatherty be back or is anyone is galway football capable of keeping goal. His just a bag nerves in goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Delighted to get the win in the end. Should never have been in that position though especially against 14. I feel sorry for Gleeson. It's a lonely spot when things go that badly wrong but he needs to be taken out of the firing line now imo.

I think in general the kick outs went alright for him and for close to 70 minutes I'd have said he was fine. Theres an argument that we can't move to a 3rd goalkeeper at this stage but goal 2 in particular was awful at this level and he needs to be far more commanding on the third goal too.

The panic attacks when the game is in the melting pot are too frequent to hope that they won't happen again.

I presume Flaherty is done for the year or any chance he'll be back? If not is Keane any good as alternative? Is Bernard Power still there. Not ideal by any means but his kick outs are generally good, he has played big games previously and has the connection with the Corofin lads.

Either way it's the major issue that the management team need to confront before Derry.

Leaving that aside I thought after the first 20 galway delivered today for most of the game. As in the previous two games though we had been well on top and should have been cruising to victory. On the flip side the reaction to the 3rd Armagh goal was good. Great to see the bench making an impact.

It's a good weekend for Galway football. It's been a long struggle to get back to this point so let's hope this is the start of Galway being a respectable team again.

Given the expectations were at a low last winter its nice to have two teams in the last four. The hurling is going to be a struggle to even be competitive but Derry presents a definite opportunity to make the final for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Great win for Galway.

A few observations

The Good.

- We no longer have a soft center , Armagh came with a plan today, to get stuck into us (legal & illegal) but we stood upto them and gave as good as we got. This type of win is character building.

- We now have more than 2 forwards (Walsh, Comer), McDaid had a stormer today. Finnerty & Conroy also contributed.

The Bad

- We have a goalkeeping problem. (Understatement of the year)

- Our fade out in games is very worrying, whether its physical or mental fatigue or something else.... PJ needs to get to bottom of this ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

Galway for the double, its written in the stars, cannot see how it can be any other way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

For those of us that likes the stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Stewball

Without looking it up, if I recall correctly we beat Derry in the semi finals in 98 & 01.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Personally I don't see Derry being a harder game than today.

They scored 5 goals yesterday but played a team who wouldn't be a good bet to have even made the final of the Tailteann.

Also every shot they took went in, they weren't walked into the goal so they could have ended up with 1/2/3 as well.

On Gleeson, I wouldn't blame him too much about the kickouts. I do blame him for his slowness in getting the ball placed(again that is something the management clearly don't see an issue with so not fully his issue) if players aren't making runs the goalie can only do so much but he needed to deal with all of the goals better.

That aside, there shouldn't have been 8 mins.

So we should have won by 2/3/4 points. That's saying that a quarter of the half was wasted which was ridiculous.

Last time I saw that long added someone would have been stretchered off.

Outside of the red card there wasn't anything that warranted long stoppages.

I didn't see anything from Dublin or Kerry to say they're a step above. I think any of the 4 have a decent shot at winning it. Kinda like Galway/Clare and KK in the hurling. Not as whole pile between them.

What was the rationale for having both teams using the same dressing rooms instead of one on each side?... Personally if I was a a manager I'd make sure my team avoid entering together to avoid issues like today.. same in Rugby(I remember a Connacht yellow earlier this season and you could see the HT flashpoint coming), it's just something that happens too much.. you should just rally the squad together on the sideline for 30seconds to avoid getting dragged into these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

There were plenty of stoppages in H2, I was commenting on it with the Galway lad beside me; there was a spell where a Galway lad dropped everytime Armagh got a score, even the ref finally started ignoring them: Walsh was down for a long time as well when the game was stopped for him mid-action; I expected at least 6

I did expect 4-6 alright but 8 just seemed overkill.

It would be just common sense to take it away from the ref.

What use would it be for someone to go to ground if the clock stopped?.

People can talk about killing momentum but 99% of people go down to waste time.

In a tight game when the ref blows it up is the difference between winning, losing or drawing. Needs to be fair. Amazing how they won't vote it in when there's literally zero advantages to letting the clock run on regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

They gave the impression on the Sunday Game that Comer instigated the incident which is worrying as the GAA seem to take the lead from tv when dealing with incidents like this.

The truth is, the player he confronted had just shoulder charged him to the back as he was leaving the pitch and then Comer hit him a shoulder back. Then 3 Armagh lads piled in and then the Galway lads came to Comers aid.

I could see the gobshítes in HQ going after Comer though based on the footage they ran on the Sunday Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I suppose in certain instances the ref wouldn't be able to "make a draw of it" ching-ching innit

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭vid36

More suspensions is a huge worry alright, who knows what they will do.

He certainly did his best to keep Armagh in it today. They could have had 3 reds for head high tackles. Armagh did bring 35,000 people and we brought about 7,000 though so they probably don't want to see Galway progress.

On that note, our support is shocking. No excuse not to have 15k plus there today, given the attraction of the game and the double header. They'll be crawling over one another like ants if we make the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

There should have been about 4-5 added to the first half for significant stoppages to an armagh attacker who went down and for the off the ball incident on Walsh. I guess that was all just added to the end.

On gleeson, don't be too hard on him. His kickouts are/ were very good I thought.

Like Walsh wayward cross field pass was the incident that gave armagh the chance to equalise. Like if he even kicked it wide in the corner, the game was over on the restart.

Agree re poor galway support, but it's hard & expensive to follow the hurlers and connacht rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Hate to pick on gleeson but thought his kickouts were pretty poor again today. Huge boot on him no doubt about it and picked out comer at 11 with first ko after 2 mins but don't remember him picking out man on too many occasions. Our midfielders didn't seem to know where he was going hitting them. We need to have more of a strategy if short option not available and Derry will put a serious squeeze on us and will fight for breaks around middle. Regarding goals he conceded I would only lay full blame to him on third goal. First goal he had Armagh forward and two Galway players backing in on top of him pushing him under the crossbar which meant was very hard on him to get out and punch the ball. Third goal I lay blame on Molloy and Tierney that didn't get any sort of contact on ball and allowed it bounce freely on 14 yard line. Second goal he should have been more composed when held it and not panic and look to just get rid of it. Even if he punched it out towards wing but where he punched it no player was expecting him pass it where he did.

Would be massive call by Joyce and harsh on him but I do believe a fully fit Conor flaherty is a better and more composed option between the posts. He's been injured since league final 3rd April and Joyce mentioned in update before mayo game 12th may that he was close to being back but must've had a further setback if not even making the bench.

Interesting what others here would think be our best option in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

First goal should have been dealt with, he should have commanded his area better, his two backs in on top of him hindered him, second goal he panicked and played the ball into the danger zone instead of out along the end line after having the hard work done, third goal shouldn't have been allowed bounce by the backs

.. I dunno I'd prefer to stick with him bringing in a new goalie at this stage would be counterproductive imv, get Gleeson to work, work Work on his failings for the next 2 weeks, I for one won't be getting a possee together for a Lynch mob, between the sticks is a lonely place, tell me about it, every mistake is marked down, the forward can miss a sitter and its soon forgotten, the back can be turned over two or three times an there won't be a word about it if the result goes the right way in the end.... Stick with him cos we have no one better at this moment and time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Better posters will critique the individual showings and game management but feck me lads that was a magic way to reverse bottle. We've seen so often in various eras brainfarts costing us. We essentially gave away 3 goals and still nabbed the semi-final spot.

I think with the right management we could have an All-Ireland in us but don't think PJ and Co are the men. I'm delighted PJ got us over the line though. A fantastic servant who took over at a rough time when nobody else wanted to touch the gig.

Fully agree on the kickouts. Glynn got free on his left multiple times and he didn't even see him. At the end Cathal Sweeney came on as a sub and was totally unmarked on the left wing and Gleeson pumped it long to a contested area which we thankfully won. He doesn't seem to scan the field at all. He seems to have a plan on where he's putting the ball and its going there regardless of the reality in front of him.

I know it would be harsh for him to lose out but even a half fit Flaherty is a better option in my opinion. I've seen too many ballsups at this stage. How in all the clubs in Galway we can't get one decent keeper is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

There were a few major off the ball incidents- at least 2 or 3 times I just saw somebody flat on the floor. Anyone know if these were elbows, sucker punches & any videos of them? There was also a 2 man fight right next to a linesman & he didn't do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Robert2014

I think it would be unfair to put Gleeson in goal the next day. The pressure he would be under would be too much. It's not like soccer where there is a financial issue involved.

if gleeson is in goal the next day his going to get absolutely peppered with high balls with the biggest lad in derry in on top of him. If Joyce is a shrewd manager he will move on from him, hopefully bring in Power aswell. If an out field player played as bad he would have be taken off and dropped so why should it be any different for the keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ericsinjun

All the usual talk about the kick out, but the stats show 86% of restarts won. Nothing wrong with that. Much better go long than mess about to corner back and the pressure that brings.

Gleeson badly at fault for 2 of the 3, but the full back line were no addition in the situations either.

• Advertisement

People have short memories if they're advocating Power over Gleeson.

While I wasn't a fan of him yesterday, he's better than Power.

Power is not a good shot stopper and has conceded some howlers and was even slower getting the ball and tee ready.

Advertisement