Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pumphunt - Fuel price search

• 22-06-2022 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

This forum will be for users of www.pumphunt.com and the PumpHunt apps.

The app is for finding the cheapest petrol and diesel prices in Ireland.

Please use this forum board to post any issues with the app, or request any new features.

You can visit the website in any browser, https://www.pumphunt.com/

You can get the Android app from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pumphunt.app

You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter and Google Groups (https://groups.google.com/g/pumphunt).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

Sounds like a tinder alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭horse7

Nice replacement for pumps, I wish I could update prices without being physically at the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rockhead006

You can update within 250km of the station. Is this not enough?

You sure I could,not.

It's something to do with browser/settings/privacy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Bit awkward changing location having to move the marker across the map..it automatically thinks your web provider is your location

When you first open the website/app, it asks if you want to permit telling it your location. If you decline this, then it falls back your ISPs location.

This is a choice, if you decline this, and the station you are trying to update is more than 250km away from your ISP, then you won't be able to update prices for a station.

If you want to change this permission (to allow location sharing), I believe you can go into the app settings (for Android), or the website settings (for browser).

If you see a small circle button on the bottom left, try clicking it to get your current location.

Needs a cleanup...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Android App - Samsung Galaxy S22

I can't change the prices to be able to update the prices.

If I tap on the numbers, I get the keyboard. I type a number and if flashes, but remains the same. So I can't update prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

Cheapest isnt all ways the best as there is alot of yellow pack fuel out there that you only get 5 miles to the gallon so you want to be posting about quality as well call out those stations profiting out of your misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

How does a end user provide accurate data of fuel purchased? I would safely say your 5mpg is pub talk.

I have bought from stations & only got down the road & had a big drop in fuel. We all been told of stations to stay away from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭masterboy123

True that. Many duplicate pumps in Limerick area.

What are the colour codes in the map for?

Do you mean the colour of the markers/fuel stations?

This depends on your search settings on the list page. The fuel stations at the top (3) of the list will be green, then I believe orange (next 3), then yellow (next 4) then red (next 10), the remaining ones are grey.

Oh, and the ones with a heart in them are added favourite places.

Correct. The stations are gathered from Google data, and Google has a lot of old places still.

As with the fuel prices, I need you all to notify me about duplicate stations. This is not a job I could easily do myself. You can click on an invalid station, click the Report link and select Duplicate from the list.

Are you saying this is low quality fuel? E.g. 95 octane Vs 97 or 98? I'm not sure how easily this information could be added.

If you all think it would be a good feature, I could add some ratings/stars to a station for fuel quality and other things. I could also allow users to add comments/notes, but that can get messy with spammers. If you all comment what you'd like I can look into adding new features.

Do you get the same functionality in the web browser as the app? Have you ever been able to update a price in the app and/or website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Nearly always this is "pub talk" as most people don't realise that all fuel is literally identical except for the additive some put in as a marketing ploy to get people to pay extra. The only thing that can be different is if the tanks are old and not serviced properly, but that would be very rare due to regulations

If a station is getting fuel from whitegate, (Irving oil owners of TOP) the tankers literally line up and it makes no difference what livery is on the tanker you simply fill up in turn. In Dublin Applegreen took over the Topaz/Esso share in a storage facility. Valero (Texaco) are the other 50% owner. Irving Oil also have facilities in Dublin. Most fuel sold in Leinster comes from one of these two facilities. Delivery is usually by companies such as Camp freight, Reynolds or DHL Energy. Circle K have facilities in Dublin airport (jet fuel) & Galway.

Basically oil is refined into petrol & diesel in huge quantities. The fuel tankers can carry ten of millions of refined fuel and they simply unload into whatever storage facility required. It is then distributed to fuel stations. So before any marketing additives are added, ALL fuel is absolutely identical.

So adding a section for people to make defamatory statements because they heard something from some drunk in a pub on on some karen's social media page, would not be conducive to good business

There aren't 4 stations at that location on Google Maps though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭masterboy123

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭ThreeGreens

I've not tried using a web browser.

I've never been able to update the fuel prices on the app. I click on the price and the keyboard appears. I type a number and the box flashes (refreshes) but the value doesn't change.

If fuel is all the same ask the filling stations that have four prices up for there fuel. regular & super its wide ope to take advantage of you i can only tell you of what i experienced & others told me of stations to stay away from.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I did some updates around Limerick, removing duplicate stations. Not sure how Fine Wines managed to sell fuel! :-D

If you zoom right in on the station (like the most you can do) you'll see the other stations on Google Maps.

All the data from Google is current, it's just that they don't remove/add these places on the maps, it's the companies/owners that usually add them, and they don't often bother to remove them if the close or change owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭mikeecho

No need for a review or star rating of stations.

Silly comments by users, will get the Dev in a spot of bother.

Keep it simple, pumps , was good in its day, and it just did the basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭EarWig

Yes, you can just imagine a comment about the fuel somewhere being dodgy.

How do you cover the legal risks.

Comments would also probably attract contributors who may have a political angle that would spill over into prices posted. We saw this already earlier in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Down the road (excuse the pun) , a feature detailing what services are at each station.

Lpg, elec charging, toilets, ATM, pay at pump, car wash , open 24hr, etc etc.

But that's something that can be looked at in the future maybe.

Advertisement