Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with a Dog

• 24-06-2022 6:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Anyone have an leads of landlords/Property Management Company that allows pets?

I'm an Irish ex-pat trying to move home with my partner and our dog (the fluffy fella below) and it's been a heartbreak trying to find someone who will consider us. Other than allowing a pet, we don't care if it's a flat or a house. As long as we're in a town where we can catch a train into the city (any city) we're happy. We have a reference for our dog from our current landlord (yes, really!) and are willing to pay an pet deposit. We'd be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Most apartment/mixed use developments built in past 15 or so years prohibit dogs in their development rules (high density) so I would be looking at houses and older developments.

Prepare info about your dog, indoor/outdoor, maybe references from previous neighbours that he didn't disturb them, and most definitely offer a higher deposit as damage will be the top concern on any landlord's mind. Try to deal directly with landlords rather than agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think daft has a pet option when searching. I expect most/all landlords don't want the risk when renting. We went through an agent for renting and the contract said no pets, animals fish. We had to sneak our fish in after letting and sneak them out before final inspection.

A entire house through an agent might be a way to smuggle animal in, but it's risky.

Somewhere more rural might accommodate more. I would not be expecting to get lucky. You could try ringing agents anonymously, and ask for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Be right back

Sent you a private message. Hope it works out. Gorgeous doggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭DubCount

Finding a rental at the moment - any rental - any location - is difficult.

Adding a dog into the mix, makes a difficult tax even more difficult.

As mentioned by Carinica above, many apartments and high density developments dont allow dogs, so a Landlord advertising a property of that type cant allow a dog.

Separately, even though your dog is part of your family, for a prospective landlord, dog = additional ware on property + potential conflict with neighbours. The Prospective Landlord will receive 100+ expressions of interest when they advertise. Your dog is just a reason to pick another applicant - regardless of what pet deposit or references you want to put forward.

My advise is to find a home for your pet with a relative or friend. Find a rental for the people in your family. After you secure a rental for yourselves, ask the landlord about your dog and provide references etc at that point. Be prepared to find a separate home for your dog - in this rental market, you might have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I moved (bought) into an apartment after downsizing in 2018. We moved in with a dog. I made it very clear very quickly that I had deep pockets and would go all the way in court if anyone was stupid enough to try it on. My legal advice was that most of the house rules are unenforceable. Four years later we all get on , the dog is happy and never even takes a wee in the gardens. We always leave the property to toilet her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭blackbox

Your best bet is to put word out with all of the people you know in Ireland. There may be someone with a property who does not want to risk renting to strangers but might rent to someone with whom they have a connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Klaudia.

Hi. There are new (rental) developments in Dublin that allow pets. Not sure about other locations.

They just charge you more for that and in general, they are expensive. Example: Vesta in Clongriffin, Clancy Quay in Dublin 8

https://www.petfriendlydublin.ie/post/pet-friendly-apartments-in-dublin-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Are you with your dog in the apartment 24/7? Otherwise you have no idea of the level of interference your dog has on your neighbours quality of life. Animals that make noise audible from outside the unit do not belong in high density developments. It's called being a good neighbour. House rules can be unenforceable but if the ban was included in the legal documents you signed, that's a whole other matter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If the lease covenants which you signed up to when you bought your apartments prohibit pets, I find it difficult to believe you ever received such advice. The lease covenants would be absolutely enforceable as long as they do not contravene the law, and as you have no right to have a dog there unless it is a guide dog , they don’t. The OMC may have decided it wasn’t worth going to court to enforce it, but if the lease covenant contains as prohibition on pets, I’m going to call bullshit on this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I live in a large apartment block in Dublin and pets are allowed. Must be at least 20 dogs in it. No issues at all. Most apartment blocks i know of in dublin have pets in them. A lot say no pets allowed but TBH they turn a blind eye once the pet is not a nuissance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I moved into a Havitat development in April, they allow pets, had to pay an extra deposit and a monthly fee. The new class of professional build to rent operators seem to be much more pet friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

In my own experience with 3 dogs ask the estate agent in the ares you want to live in about about any properties he may have that are not 100% up to standard they always have one or two. Having a pet often means taking a lesser type of home in other words a bit rougher/ or needing a bit of painting etc. I got homes this way also put add in veterinary surgeries as doggie people support each other. Ireland is not pet friendly for renting but having the reference will go along way plus offer the previous landlords phone number so he can ask about the dog be very open to this. Bring the dog to viewings to show his manners & charm. Very best of luck to you its tough. Beautiful dog !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Depends on your location and budget, but its gone full circle with allowing dogs (Its cool again!!). A number of new higher end developments do allow this as it goes with the image they are selling. https://stclarespark.ie/ and https://mountargusdublin.com/ both do, they are developed by https://marlet.ie/ which has a large number of new developments in Dublin city, I am guessing a number of them allow it.

Advertisement