Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Going Live

Options
  • 23-06-2022 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

A few estates beside are going live with 2gb broadband so I'm hopeful we're next on the list. We have 100mb fibre here with the line fed in underground. Stupidly we tore the phone cable out when getting building work done and have struggled to get any providers to put in a new one since. I'm just wondering if a new phone line needs to be installed to avail of gigabit as that may answer my prayers!

If not, any suggestions how to get a new line in. Have taken out contracts with Eir and Sky in the past and explained situation about the line and been told they'll install a new one but then the engineer arrives and says they need a civil team and Eir wont arrange same so I end up cancelling. Happy to pay a fee of course as it was my mistake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Are the phone wires run above ground on poles and then an above wire into the house? Typically they instead run a fibre wire in the same or similar way.

If it's all underground then where was the cable cut or where does it end now? You might need ducting from there to inside the house or a repair made. It might be consider a new phone wire install.

Groups like siro are non eir, non phone line, so their network is separate to work like virgins network. If you are eligible for Siro they run a fibre cable from a nearby esb pole, but may be overhead only. Check eligibility at siros website.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Thanks for the reply.

No poles or overhead at all here for phone line or power. All underground from what I can see. The line was yanked out by the builder so I presume it probably snapped somewhere near the entry point of the house but can't see as it's underground. Who would be best to contact for an entirely new line do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Do you have or had 100 Mbps fibre, I assume it was efibre over the copper phoneline?

Which fibre provider is rolling out gigabit fibre in neighbouring estates, SIRO or open-eir?

Ducting will have to be installed to run the fibre cable if no ducting currently exists from the relevant underground chamber to your house

SIRO, an ESB/Vodafone company, will run their fibre alongside the existing power cable to the house, through the existing ducting if it exists.

Open-eir run their fibre cable from their own underground chamber on the road, I assume if there was any ducting for the copper phoneline it was ripped out with the line.

Depends on what ducting is there, best to wait and see which provider is rolling out fibre to your estate. They will tell you what is required at the time.

If you have to install ducting to run fibre to your house you will have to contact someone like your builder to dig and lay the duct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

Are you sure its fibre cable all the way to the house?? 100MB is usually Fibre to the cabinet and then copper to the house. If you get gigabit broadband you can have a phone as well over the internet. Copper is becoming redundant so getting a dedicated old style line installed is probably a no no.

If you have copper to the router then that can carry a pone line as well.

I'm moving to VF and hope to avail of landline via Broadband and cancel the copper line.

Can you take a pic of the socket where your router is?

To explain a bit more I EIR BB and a landline but its via the BB, I have FTTH, I got an eir app on my mobile and can use that as the landline. But seldom use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

It is/was an old school copper line to the house alright which is why I was hoping they'd install a new fibre line which would get me out of this mess.

Unfortunately I don't even have a socket anymore so I'm almost starting again from scratch!

Its open eir around our way. No siro. As you say maybe best to wait until closer to the time and see about getting new ducting laid there's a flower bed most of the way up the side wall from the road so impact may not be too bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement