Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭zg3409

I phoned helpline as the website priority list resulted in no date after waiting 2 weeks.

NCT not due until October but earliest website date was November. I like to do 90 days early in case I fail and need to order tyres online, or buy a new car.

The earliest I can do test 90 days early is mid July. They suggested ring back end of June and only then will the extra mid July slits be released.

So in summary they only have priority slots available for the next 2 or 3 weeks, no later. I rang at 4:30pm and got straight through.

Phone: 014135992 (Monday-Thursday 8am to 8pm, Friday: 8am -6pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a farce. Refreshing and refreshing at 23:30, eventually a single appointment in Naas popped up for the 13th June but that's outside my 90 days. A couple of minutes later it's gone and we're back to November and December across all centres. They need to be stripped of the franchise. Passport issues (due to demand levels way in excess of anything ever seen before) make the news and get on the political agenda but something every car owner is legally obliged to do is ignored?

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so my application for a cancellation six weeks ago finally resulted in me being given a date in three weeks time. not quite the two week turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

How am I meant to do this?

NCT due in mid September but no available dates in the 3 centres until last few days of October. Do I try again after midnight tonight and there will be August & September dates showing. Or, do I wait till after midnight in late august to find those dates?

I only knew of long waiting list because a neighbour mentioned it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Ring the number 014135992 and tell them you want a test date within a month if you need it that quick. If they say it’s not due, tell them you’re thinking of selling it and want a fresh test on it first. You’ll get a date within a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

how likley is this to work? have a car i'm about to put up for sale, NCT has expired about a month ago and I figure a fresh cert is needed. earliest appointment is 1st september at stupid o'clock or else i can come back in November or december. its a bloody joke this is teh second family car where I've had to wait montsh on a date, I applied for another one in March and the earliest date was July.

Check what is 90 days before your NCT expiry date (not 3 months). Then ring helpline and they may be able to sort out a date.

I got straight through when I rang at 4:30pm in a weekday so try ringing them. Ensure you have reg etc ready.

No guarantees but the more you push the more likely you are to succeed. They really should match supply with demand. I suspect they don't want to pay the rates to inspectors needed to get enough staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭User1998

Anyone able to help, I have a car with an NCT that expired two years ago. If I NCT it now will I get a full 12 months or will it be backdated?

What year is the car and when date did it expire?

• Advertisement

You’d get a cert until jan 2023 if u pass now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Lads just managed to book two tests in cavan for mid July

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

I just realised today that it is the year 2022 and my car is 181 which means it is due for its first NCT. 🙈

Better late than never right. 😂 Now the question is when will you get an available appointment. 1st December is cutting a bit late.

I applied for the priority list there so fingers crossed something in Naas will come up.

Does anyone know if they will check if the electronic windows are operation? One of my windows motor is broken which is under warranty and will be fixed by the Renault garage but not until mid July as due to supply issues in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've often wondered do they test cars by the actual appointment time or when the owner turns up?

e.g. if my car is due at 6pm, and my friend is due at 5:55pm; and i turn up at 5:45 and he at 5:50, will they test my car first because i was first there?

in short, is there any benefit to going early if it suits?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭tanko

If you applied for priority list on website I recommend you telephone the helpline asap. A 181 is due in early 2022 so you may be driving a vehicle without a valid NCT already. The website "priority" in my case meant I heard nothing for 2 week's after which I rang them. Your insurance may be invalid without an NCT.

Ideally you should do your test less than 90 days early than the date of first registration, and not later than date of first registration. In your case (181) you may be long overdue.

In terms of driver window not rolling down you will fail your NCT. It's probably a visual fail so if you return within 30 days they will retest for free but after 30 days it's a full paid test again. You should get dealer to fix within that 30 day window or before your test.

In terms of the actual test centre on the day they seem to give priority to those with earlier appointments over those who arrive early. If you are more than a minute late they have the right to refuse you. I typically plan to arrive 20 minutes early to allow for delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Does anyone know if you are missing a cover off a inner back taillight on a Mazda 2 (2007) would it fail NCT. Light still works ok.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks. trying to find a replacement but nothing so far!

Is this inside the boot? No issue if so, as long as holder of bulb is ok

Usually no one will sell you the plastic piece separate. You have to buy the whole unit. They aren’t expensive, try your local motor factors

I must have tried every breakers in Ireland looking for one, no joy! Went to local Mazda dealer, they are getting me whole unit, not too expensive, €80.

How's this for timing. Brought the car up for the nct, serviced last week, all good, car has been solid (10 yo Octavia) and when the mechanic hopped in to bring it in to test, it wouldn't start. Well, it starts but dies after a couple of seconds, no lights at all in the main instrument cluster. He reckons it's an immobiliser fault. Kinda hard to get a car through the test in this state...

rang my mechanic, who has a tow truck, and he's currently driving down the country on holidays.

he suggested disconnecting the battery, and reconnecting it, which i did (thank christ i found a leatherman in the car, no one else had a spanner and the staff there probably aren't allowed to help), and that got the car started, albeit with an airbag warning light. so i got it home at least.

Airbag warning lights come on with low 12 volt battery, so disconnecting the battery might have triggered this and it might go away itself or after a couple of trips.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement