Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving at 30KPH causes engine damage and stalling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

These people should immediately have their licences revoked. Evidently unable to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭[Steve]

“lot of pressure on my engine” and that “cars were not built for that speed”

That's hilarious - have those people ever driven through a housing estate, supermarket car park, or attempted to ever park their vehicle?

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭User1998

To be fair if you put a VW diesel into 3rd gear and try do 30 km/h it will keep trying to speed you up. And if you put it into second its fairly jerky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The engine damage talk sounds laughable but I reckon there's a hidden agenda, i.e the Governement / EU want people out of their cars for climate reasons. Slowly ramping the pain with lower speed limits and less parking is part of the mandate I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,199 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's nothing hidden at all about governments the world over wanting less people in cars. It's never been hidden and has been around a long time, and it's a sensible step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

While comments that cars are not built for that speeds are completely ridiculous, this quote caught my attention:

It had also resulted in reduced noise and air pollution and lower carbon dioxide emissions.

Tyres might make less noise at 30 than 50 allright, but in many cars running on 2nd gear at 30 will actually generate more noise than running 50 in 3rd or even 4th.

When it comes to air pollution and carbon dioxie emission, I'm pretty sure that nearly every combustion engine car, will actually generate more pollution when running at 30km/h compared to 50km/h

Most economical speed for most car would be probably in range of 60-90 km/h. Anything lower than that will be less fuel economical, as well as anything more than that also will be less fuel economical.

And less fuel economy, meany more pollution and co2 emissions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in many cars running on 2nd gear at 30 will actually generate more noise than running 50 in 3rd or even 4th.

you have a source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Do those idiots not realise there's a 30km/h limit in many urban areas - not just the PP?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Everyone should drive automatics because it's clear that anyone that can't hold a car at 30km/h is semi retarded and shouldn't even be behind the wheel of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

The higher the engine revs, the more noise.

All depends on gear ratios.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so not really as clear cut as you suggested. i'm currently googling to see if there are any real world graphs for it.

IIRC 97% of motorists in 30km/h zones break the limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Why can't there be a 40kph limit? Surely that's better than a drop of 40% below the 50kph limit.

In the US they dropped the "20 is plenty" campaign as it just wasn't working, but by introducing 25mph urban limits they found a 29% reduction in speed as it was seen as a good compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Are you suggesting that an engine running outside of best efficiency speeds is not more polluting than running the same distance/journey at best efficiency which is commonly known to be around 70kph?

Stay Free

As long as the vast majority of jobs are based in Dublin and housing is largely unaffordable in Dublin, people will remain in cars.

uh, yes? 'many cars are noisier at 30 than than at 50' struck me as so vague as to be meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ordinaryfella

Most noise you hear from a car is tyre noise.

"At low speeds, the engine and exhaust system are the primary sources of noise, but at about 35 mph tire noise comes into play. At freeway speeds, the tires account for about 60% of the noise a typical car makes"

I'm sitting on my couch in a city and I can hear cars, but what I can hear are tyres. Not a honda civic with a straight through exhaust.

At 50 kmh most of the noise you hear would be the tires, reducing the speed limit will remove the largest noise polluter. If you are interested in the topic I'd recommend this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTV-wwszGw8

not really all that relevant when talking about the time taken to drive through the phoenix park, though.

• Advertisement

Two things. You're confusing noise pollution with engine efficiency; and secondly, you're the one who brought 70km/h into it, not me? How was I suggesting an effect at a speed I did not mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I misread Cinios comment to read pollution rather than noise. That’s why I brought in the mean efficiency figure. Still, no need to require a source. You could easily find dB levels for tires and engines at certain speeds on average. Or next time your near a road, listen to the sound of a slow car and a fast car passing you by. On one, you will hear an engine and the other you will hear tire noise with few exceptions generally attributed to modded vehicles.

Stay Free

Still, no need to require a source. You could easily find dB levels for tires and engines at certain speeds on average.

that's what a source is. i just asked if he had evidence to support his claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

I'm pretty sure RPM is more important for fuel efficiency then speed. So proper use of your gears will mean a similar fuel efficiency at various speeds as you keep within the optimal range of RPM for your engine. I read somewhere that above 60 or 70kph drag, rolling resistance etc reduce you fuel efficiency outside of your RPM.

found some; note that a drop of 3dB is approx a halving of the noise level:

(1). A number of studies each with slightly different results ball point to around a 3dB(A) reduction in noise. A Swedish study on changes from 50 km/h (31mph) to 30 km/h (18.6mph) found reductions from 2-4 dB(A) for cars and 0-2 dB(A) for heavy vehicles. In a German study, introducing 30 km/h zones to residential streets led to up to 3 dB(A) less. Another German study found the change from 50 to 30 km/h lowered 5 dB(A) the maximum level and 3 dB(A) the equivalent level.

https://www.20splenty.org/noise_and_speed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That sounds very odd. My car is able to sit at around 25-30 in third gear, with the engine running at idle and not using the accelerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I went through Phoenix Park a few weeks ago from the N3. No issues with the 30kph speed limit, easy on the fuel and it makes sense in a city park. It's just incredibly boring in a car in a straight line!

I don't see how doing 30kph will generate more noise, just select whatever gear needed for sitting at 1,500rpm or whatever the appropriate revs are. It's a non issue. If you don't like it don't drive to/from the bloody city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Same, the Tiguan managed it just fine last weekend, didn't seem to be under much strain at all lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The whole noise argument seems a bit ridiculous and smells like a first world problem thing. Cars at 30 or 50 km/h are generally quiet at normal revs. Conversation is more than easily done on the paths beside the mains roads in the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭creedp

Shouldn't be a problem for any car really but as said already, driving as 30kmph is incredibly boring on a big straight open road, much easier to do on smaller city streets / housing estates.

I'm wondering how strictly they will enforce it as Im sure adherence will be challenging for many. Its the same in Slane where only the rare driver adheres to it. Ironically it was introduced to counter against trucks losing control due to brake fade on the long steep decline and rolling over cars whereas in reality if you stuck to 30kmph you'd be at risk of being rolled over by these same trucks who in my experience completely ignore it.

Advertisement