Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday with Katie Hannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,935 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I wonder Katie ask Pat about that little matter of discrimination at one of his establishments recently 🤔

Can't abide him

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I agree but our government clearly not admitting we've absolutely no infrastructure in place let alone a housing crisis as it is .

Verona Murphy has some neck 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭touts

I don't particularly like her or her hard right opinions on many issues but she gave Joe O'Brien a bit of a hammering on the cost of living etc. Louise O'Reilly was reduced to actually repeating what Verona said.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just tuned in there for 5min and the debate was really irritating.

We had the usual mouthy Louise O'Reilly telling the minister to stop interrupting her, and yet she shouts him down every time he tried to make a point.

• Advertisement

Yes , hate to admit it but yes she gave the minister a bit of a hammering 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Half the programme the opposition telling the Minister how we need to spend more money.

The other half of the programme the opposition telling the Minister how we need to collect less tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Will be interesting to see how SF actually manage the finances of the country when they get the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Very interesting N.

How I see it in a very crude way is ‘equalization’ everybody will be be miserable but everybody will be equally miserable.

Those taking risks and and doing the tough work to better themselves will be paying for everything getting nothing while those who decide to ride the system will do ‘this and that’ and get a nice state guaranteed payout every week with no incentive to fend for themselves.

I of course could be way wrong but I don’t see any other outcome in a SF controlled Govt. given what I hear and see on the various media platforms.

I see pure stagnation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’d be more concerned with classified documents being “spirited away” to be poured over by agencies outside of the state.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

What classified documents and what agencies are you concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mostly in the department of justice but, also, any related to The Troubles. The agencies would be the, shady, “senior council”, and god knows who else, SF reports to in The North.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The shredders up in Connolly House were ‘red hot’ it would appear.

Mick Barry is this week's Putin-before-People rep on the show. But he seems really unconvinced by the propaganda he has been sent on to spin. For example he is spinning a line where he is worried about the jobs of the McDonalds workers in Moscow who will lose their jobs if sanctions are imposed and you can hear it in his voice that he clearly thinks it is bullshit but has been sent in to say it. He is mumbling and stuttering through the party anti-NATO line. Clearly he isn't as pro-Russia as the other fifth columnists in PBP.

Pro Mick Barry touts, like all the other windbags of his ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There are a million of us in this State, here to make sure that never happens.

And we wear no Party badge. If SF think they run a slick machine, well, they ain't seen nothing yet.

This is farcical today. Back to the three trots (Katie, SF and other) shouting at one junior minister for an hour format. At times it is impossible to make out what the three of them are are ranting and raving about as they shout over each other.

This show was doing well and was balanced for the weeks that Philip Boucher Hayes was presenting it. He made them all cry equally and the debate was better for it. Now we are back to Katie waving the red flag as she leads the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭deise man

Any chance they'd give the programme holidays for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Turned off once I heard Katie announce today's panel.

Agree there, listening back today and fair play to Thomas Byrne who handled the three trotters, Hannon, O’Reilly, and Toibín, with relaxed ease.

Despite Hannon’s hysterical hyperbolic descriptors and interruptions ,Thomas Byrne handled the issues very well.

I agree that PBH was much more balanced and less shrill in this programme and frankly feel Hannon is totally unsuited as a presenter.

Way too biased and unable to fairly moderate ‘discussions’ such as this, especially given how skewed the so-called same old, same old panels tend to be.

Katie can't hide her political bias and needs to be moved off political shows. Let PBH have it full time and return to two opposition and two government reps. That was the way Claire and Cormac did it as past hosts and it was excellent balanced debate show. Now it is just Trotskyist propaganda.

I’m afraid you are correct MrT.

I have been highlighting Hannon’s performance for a long time as well as the production issues which set up the

programme as an unbalanced biased production.

Hannon is fond of hyperbola and emotive descriptions such as “disaster” “chaos” and others ,and nearly turns herself inside out to ‘land a punch’ on what ever representative the Govt. presents.

You can hear her shrieking in the ‘sidings’ as she ‘piles on’ to endorse any trotter who pipes up.

While I know the cost of living is rising rapidly, I genuinely have to wonder why Dublin Airport is packed with holiday makers, concerts are snapped up in seconds, car parks are full of high end slabs and if you listen to conversations from so called low pay workers , holidays are the main topic with Las Vegas frequently mentioned.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but one would have to think that something doesn’t add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Boohoo. The lefties were being mean to FG! And the term trots ... 🙄

If I wanted to listen to Trots shouting over each other I would download one of the thousands of Shouty Trots podcasts.

Rte has a duty to be balanced especially on a political debate show. Having a Trotskyist host and two Trotskyist panelists has destroyed what was an excellent show.

As for the term well that comes from a combination of their political beliefs and the torrent of shite that comes from a hole in their body.

To disagree with that would be to completely ignore the facts.

Anyone who listens regularly would, if they are being fair, admit that there is no balance to the panel or the presenter.

Its the 2022 equivalent of putting a prominent person in the ‘stocks’ and pelting them with rotten fruit.

Had a back listen to yesterdays programme and in fairness it was one of the more civilised.

Òisin kept the cool and was measured and in control in his responses.

Cullinane again in fairness was also cool and while he acknowledges efforts to fix, doesn’t go mad with populist fixes himself….. he knows he could be there in the hot seat next election.

Hannon was less ‘squawkey’ than usual maybe because she wasn’t surrounded by the usual bench of Trotters.

Sherlock was the outlier ,bladdering with the usual guff of ‘give them everything’ knowing full well she will never have to stand over and defend unpopular decisions and using all the hyperbolic words in her dictionary of negativity.

Thats my take on the programme, no doubt the usual cohort will be in to disagree, which of course they are perfectly entitled to do.

One thing to remember though, once you are in charge of anything, you will rarely be remembered for the good stuff you did or are doing, but they will remember mistakes.

Let's take a step back for a second without being shouted down . I hear a lot about Hannons alledged Bias , when it would seem to me its her job to ask difficult questions of Government representatives and to her credit she can and does give as much of a grilling to opposition representatives. She does also have the human touch and comes at many topics sharing what she believes is what ordinary people are thinking of a particular situation, policy etc , seeking through guests their opinions on how ordinary people perceive a policy or decision. PBH does the opposite, he tells you what his opinion is and expects people to accept it.

There's as much talk across platforms and Social media about RTE's bias towards SF and other opposition parties and the gently gently approach towards Government, particularly FG ,some presenters can barely hide their contenpt whilst maintaining soft and cuddly approach to particular minister's.

It's struck me of late when looking at news websites in the Mornings , newspapers, independent news sites , break news on a particularly contentious decision, Scandal, controversy involving government, RTE goes with a fluffy Social affairs story, Environmental story , a world story etc, essentially avoid mentioning a story that may reflect negatively on Government, regardless of who that Government is, this is not new. Very adept at focusing on particularly agencies, HSE /Local Authorities as an example, not so adept at focusing on Government failings.

RTE is simply not independent, many presenters are blatantly biased, Katie Hannon of course has her flaws but in the main reasonable and not at all afraid to ask difficult questions of both Government and opposition TD'S. I heard no horror when PBH had a spat with colm Brophy recently, I watched the show and the personal contempt he had for Brophy was palpable, even putting his eyes up to heaven when Brophy, correctly corrected him and disagreed (Folks will know, I'm no fan of Brophy)

This is greater than one presenter being perceived as being Biased and unable to do her Job, it seems personal and yet few call out PBH, Claire byrne a number of morning Ireland presenters, Joe Duffy , Ryan Turbidy to name but a few for their astonishing and obvious personal agendas.

Katie Hannon and indeed Sarah McInerney are two presenters who have my admiration and respect , they are not always right but my god, they don't skirt around difficult topics and not afraid to ask difficult questions.

• Advertisement

Have to say that’s a load of codswallop……

Its Hannon’s job to moderate a discussion in a neutral way, ie have balanced members of the panel installed and facilitate their discussion on the topics selected.

Having a panel with a bunch of Trotters plus herself haranguing a member of Govt. is not balance.

If she wants to go head to head let her do it on her own, no problem with that, don’t hide behind the ‘panel’ and start lobbing grenades in.

Thats like hurlers on the ditch excoriating the referee after a game but not having the nuts to do the job themselves.

Colm Brophy is well able for these tankers which of course you seem to direct your ire at.

Not a good look if he showed them up as the chancers and flappers that they are.

Sooner the better genuine folk realise this programme is like the coconut shy at the county fair where the chancers and low achievers get a chance to pelt fruit at those who stand up and be counted.

Not a good format this poster would opine.

Advertisement