Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinelli Bootleg Hybrid bike - want to change wheels question

• 22-06-2022 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am a complete novice with bikes and got one from a friend that no longer used his. It is a Cinelli Bootleg Hybrid bike with the skinny wheels if that makes sense?

Anyway, my question is that I use the bike very muhc on the road and path which results on the wheels getting a lot of bumps which the skinny wheels are not very good at withstanding.

Is it possible to change the wheels onto the more regular bigger bike wheels so the current ones dont keep getting punctured? Any cons to this? And how much should I expect to get this done if so?

I know I am probably wasting the bike itself by putting in bigger wheels but I just use it to get around the city which the wheels are not suitable for.

Any help be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The main thing you need to check is tyre clearance, assuming you want to put fatter tyres on. What size tires are currently on it? It should be printed on the side.

Also, what pressure do you run them at?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

What size tyres do you currently have? Look for the writing on the tyre with numbers and an x between them. The first number is the circumference of the tyre, the second number is the width. For example, a 700x35 tyre is 700mm (roughly) in circumference and 35mm wide.

Next, find the specifications of the bike using Google, and what size tyre did it have originally. You may only see the last number (e.g. 35mm), but you know the circumference from whats on the tyre. If the width of the tyre on the bike is smaller (e.g. 30mm) than what is on the bike currently, then changing them will make a difference

Also, as previously mentioned, check that the pressure in the tyre is enough - this is the leading cause of punctures.

Advertisement