Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭standardg60

Cotoneaster crossed my mind but looking at them in your second pic i'd be 100% Myrtle

• Registered Users Posts: 28,170 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah no, I don't think its cotoneaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Thanks, now to figure out where to put them

They thrive in heavy shade so are great for underplanting larger trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭HazeDoll

Any ideas what this is? It's growing in a hedge in the countryside. The fruit in the picture is smaller than most of the ones on the tree. The fruit is juicy, like an unripe gooseberry.

I've tried using Seek but no joy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It reminds me of a jujube, was the tree thorny?

It does seem similar. There seems to be a lot of variety in the shape of the leaves with jujube so I can't rule it out. Still, it's unlikely that it's growing in a hedge on farmland!

I can't say for certain whether it has thorns. The twig I cut doesn't but I had to battle through brambles to get it so it was hard to get a good look at the rest of the tree. I'll take another look tomorrow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could be something similar to a sloe, too, mind you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Looks like a malformed damson or quince.

I'd exclude a quince, with those leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭standardg60

Very intrigued as to what that might be, has me stumped anyway, really unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Doubt it will help but apart from the fruit my first thought was some sort of Nothofagus, might just jog someone's thinking?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to keep an eye on it for a while. My current thinking is that it's a blackthorn with some sort of disease, infestation or mutation. That would make the most sense given its location. I'll keep looking for the same thing growing elsewhere and I'll let you know if I find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

Apologies if this is in the wrong section etc.

I have maybe 12 or 14 apple trees in my garden, different breeds, but all relatively young. most produced plenty of flowers, but only a very small nr actually germinated, In some case, none at all, and in others, maybe only 3 or four apples emerging. However, a nearby crab apple is producing its usual massive crop of apples. Is this the trend nationwide this year, or am I the only one to experience it? And more to the point, what could I do to prevent next years crop turning out the same way? I thought that it might be a shortage of bee's, but the bumper crop of crabapples would seem to indicate otherwise? Thanks for your advice.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 28,170 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My Bramley has a load of apples developing well, some will drop but for the moment there are masses. Could be yours are still too young, did they fruit last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Agreed. I've a large crop of Bramleys, James Grieves and crab apples this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Same here. Reminds me, I need to thin the fruit out today.

I was thinking about that, too, but I didn't see a "navel" underneath the berry in the OP's picture. I wonder, would it be worth asking the chap from www.gardensforlife.ie? He stocks a lot of unusual plants and might know.

• Advertisement

That seems to match, all right! Well spotted!

Thanks for these suggestions.

The blueberry honeysuckle doesn't seem to have serrated leaves but otherwise seems plausible.

The plum pocket idea makes sense as there are damson trees in the area.

I'm going to watch it closely and see what transpires. I walk past that spot at least once a day with the dogs so I'll be sure to notice any developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lim abroad

Can anyone identify this? Have it growing in my grass around the edges of the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just google for pictures of Liverwort.

Possibly liverwort, Lunularia cruciata

Wake me up when it's all over.

Yes, that or Marchantia polymorpha, both liverworts, in such situations both usually evidence of fairly frequent glyphosate application.

I have both in areas of the garden and there hasn't been a glyphosate near the place in 40 years or more. They grow on compacted moist soil in areas of heavy clay soil. They do no hard but can leave hard surfaces slippery.

They both have wide ecological tolerances, damp, or constant moisture like streamsides, shade or without. And where vascular plants have been regularly suppressed, eg along wall bases, tree pits, amenity plantings regularly treated with glyphosate.

There is an interesting, if limited and diminutive flora of these latter locations. These liverworts, Thale Cress, Whitlow Grass, Rue leaved Saxifrage, Wall and American Speedwells, Cornsalad. All plants that have very short life cycles, less than two months, so can exploit the gaps between treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lim abroad

Thanks for the feedback folks, yep looks like liverwort after a Google search. It's in part of the garden that is always fairly wet and shaded

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Does anyone know what this is?

Some kind of poppy? Is it a weed or would it have been planted?

Advertisement