Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hey, it's the gardening forum. of course you're going to get people who garden organically (me included) and don't use herbicides.

FWIW, here's a shot of my front lawn. probably needs a cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Poor quality/shallow/compacted soil, probably not worth making a lawn out of anyway ;-)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yep, I have used some of the osmo style bacterial moss removal stuff slash fertiliser on it a few times and it didn't make much difference. the soil in the back garden is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

I like the daisy, selfheal and clover flowers and have these growing in the grass area here as well and wouldn't want to change that. Mowing easily keeps them in check and its much kmore interesting to look at than an all grass mono-culture. Get some moss in the lawn here as well but it just disappears when the weather gets a bit drier so happy not to try and treat that as well. Moss is an older type of life than all the seed producing plants so has a much more established role in the ecosystem supporting wildlife further up the food chain so really surprised myself to see so many people wanting to fight it.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

As long as it's green, it makes a fine lawn. Grass, clover, buttercups... TBF we had a real small front lawn in the previous house and in order to help with selling the house, I dumped fertilizer on it and watered it like every 3rd day and mowed it once a week. The lawn was small enough to mow with a push mower. It looked like carpet soon enough, oh, and the house sold fairly quickly.

• Advertisement

Did you fry onions whenever you had a viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Yes I know it's a strawberry ..but ..can someone tell me the infection/scaring that's on it and what's causing it?

Probably a slug having a nibble, would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi can someone please tell me what this weed is and also how to get rid of it from a newly sown grass lawn.

Chickweed. It's a soft annual so mowing will take care of it if you don't let it flower.

It will go with cutting but don't make the mistake of cutting shorter to get rid of it, for a good few more cuts you should be up above 50mm and preferably higher.

Also looks like it might be worth spending some time stone picking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

hi

I've been looking after this plant but it just occurred to me that I haven't seen it anywhere and it'd possibly be the best looked after weed in Ireland?

It's got great height with lovely pinkish purple flowers and the bee's love it.

Could anyone identify it please and thank you!

First thought was clemetis but no obviously wrong as flower petals in 5's not 4's then thought it had to be a campanula but too tall for the one I was thinking of? Anyway my best guess is Campanula lactiflora but I've only ever seen it at about 3ft not the 6ft in your picture.

Nice plant 100% not a weed :-)

I'll update that Campanula Lactiflora ‘Loddon Anna’ which some descriptions give as growing to 5ft.

I want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Phlox I would say.

thanks a million great to know it's not a weed!

from googling images for phlox, I think that's it.

Post up the image from google that you think it is?

The flower petals in your picture all come to a point, see if you can find a phlox where the flower petals come to a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In no way is that a phlox. I was not familiar with Campanula Lactiflora ‘Loddon Anna’ but I agree that's what it is, my first thought was also clematis but of course once you look at the rather dark stems its obviously not - and the number of petals.

Can a feed & weed be used on it? The soil got no fertiliser prior to sowing.

Or should I apply a spray to the lawn to kill the chickweed?

Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

Its a new lawn. Golden rule is do nothing other than cut high.

You don't want to be putting any herbicides or fertilizers on what are effectively new germinated seedlings.

Don't panic it will come good and then you can start worrying about, weeds, fertilizer, moss, how often you cut and and how high you cut.

There's no point using a weedkiller on these annual weeds. It doesn't need fertiliser yet, as the roots aren't substantial enough to absorb the added nutrients. Just mow it. Reasonably High regular cutting over the next few weeks with thicken up the grass and top those weeds. Feed in Autumn if you wish, or next Spring.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

Thanks - won't bother with any weedkiller. I'll get it some feed later in the year.

Its a bit disheartening that these weeds are coming through and begining to take over parts of the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anxiousandsad

deleted

No - still a bit short in places. I think where it is less sheltered the seed hasn't struck as well.

Sown just under 1 month.

Don't expect to cut much on your first cut. All you should be doing is taking the tips off which helps promote more growth.

Give it a topping, High cut, The shorter growth won't be affected.

This is the google image for phlox I saw:

I just took a another pic of the plant in the garden:

Ok the petals are very different!

it's the leaves and stalk that made me think it was like the phlox image

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Ground Elder. Update.

So....I held off on the "Chemical Warfare" .....for now 😀 and "put troops on the ground" instead. Located the source last week and will remove it piece by piece and monitor it.

Growing up between the paving which is a pain in the h...

Advertisement