Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancies and Layoffs

Options
  • 20-06-2022 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Lots of whispers and anecdotes of layoffs and redundancies happening around various industries, particularly tech.

Any real evidence out there of this happening in Ireland, or is it all just fear mongering and hearsay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

No evidence of it at all in my industry; electrical, electronic maintenance, engineering.

Can't get staff, positions open for weeks and it's ultra competitive for similar positions in competing companies.

Pay and conditions improved to get people just to interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭bmc58

Abbot are hiring for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

2 family members on the shortlist for redundancy in PayPal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Redundancies from Paypal arent usual, and in general they are under serious pressure from Stripe and others.

I'm trying to hire a few people for my company/team, impossible, across marketing,support, administration

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

In Waterford there is talks of layoffs in Cartamundi/Hasbro.

I never heard of them being particularly well paid jobs, so anyone that does get laid off will possibly be able to get a better paid job with the volume of positions open around the county. Almost everywhere you look, all employers are hiring, and some are even struggling to get staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Eclectic Dan

Hearsay and fear mongering it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Kingspan announced a slump in orders. I'd expect layoffs shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I know all the major companies are looking at their costs right now. They're looking at cutting the low hanging fruit, the spending that's quite expensive for what it is. Fancy lunches being delivered freshly every day for example, quantity of gym classes being reduced, performer of the month bonus going, the monthly team bonding session scaled back, business travel discouraged.

This will probably happen slowly through the next 6-8 months. Then if things are still not back to normal like they were, and we're still looking at consumer sentiment down due to high inflation, lower demand for products, then the large companies will start looking at layoffs. And when one big company announces it, the rest will follow suit so as not to be left behind.

I feel we're at the stage of pre bust right now. Similar to how everyone was still in great jobs and prices were going up in property in Dublin around 2007 while commuter belts started seeing properties drop in price.

I always find the there's a hidden meaning, behind the magic phrase "restructuring"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I was just surprised with Admin, being in accounts admin myself there just seems to be loads of qualified admin staff... I would have presumed that would be an easy role to fill, but tech might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Living the life

Advertisement