Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

British Amateur 2021-Nairn GC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

fearruanua wrote: »
    Good bit of irish interest across in Nairn. Hugh Foley and Luke O Neill beaten this morning in the round of 32.

https://www.randa.org/en/championships/theamateurchampionship/mp-results#/competition/2474492/matchplay

Thought you meant up in Donegal was wondering how I missed that

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

And then there were four

Jake Whelan (Grange)
    Alan Fahy (Dún Laoghaire)
    Robert Moran (Castle)
    John Cleary (Elm Park)

are the Irish lads left standing heading into Round 2 of the matchplay.

Whelan & Fahy both well beaten this morning. Others still in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Cleary beaten too.
    Moran 1up after 15 is our last man standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭paulos53

The 2022 amateur is on this week. Ireland have 6 players in the last 32 which is more than any other country.

Jack Hearn, Matthew McLean & Peter O'Keeffe have won this morning to reach the last 16.

Caolan Rafferty is currently 2 up after 15 holes.

Unfortunately 1 Irish player must go out as Alex Maguire and Mark Power are drawn against each other. That game is currently all square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Qtr Finals Live on YouTube now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

watching now, Hopefully the Irish boys can get to semi's, is it open draw after each round?

Alex Maguire wins holes 15 to 17 to defeat his Australian opponent Max Charles 2&1 to qualify for the semi final.

Corks Peter O’Keeffe lost by the same margin to Englands John Gough.

Semi finals get underway later this afternoon. The 36 hole final is set for tomorrow morning over two sessions.

Alex Maguire is 2 down with 2 to play against his South African opponent in the British Amateur semi-final. Seen a lot of his match on youtube. Alex has one of the best golf swings that I have seen in the Irish amateur circuit since Rory McIlroy. Alex has a great future ahead for sure.

I see that Roganstown player and 15 year old Sean Keeling shot a 7 under par 65 to be leading medalist in Open Championship regional qualifying at County Louth Golf club today. There were 15 such events in the UK and Ireland. Keeling was the lowest under par score throughout all those venues. Sean's brother Patrick is a very good player too. Huge talents for their very young age. He will now play in local final qualifying next Tuesday. The top 3 players in each of the four venues next week will qualify for the 150th Open Championship at St Andrews, next month.

The British Women's Amateur is underway today too. Watch out for Beth Coulter, she just won the Irish Womens Amateur Close Championship last week and she has started well with a 2 under par 71. Two time Curtis Cup GB&I player Lauren Walsh has work to do at 2 over. The top 64 players after two rounds of strokeplay, will play in the matchplay format, which gets underway on Wednesday morning. Hunstanton is the venue for this week's championship.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny’s Mark Power at level par and currently in a tied for 13th after two stroke play rounds of the US Amateur Championship. The top 64 after todays 2nd round will qualify for the match play which starts tomorrow. Power made eagle in his final hole to secure a spot in the crucial match play stage in the biggest elite amateur event in the world.

Beaten in the 1st Round of the Matchplay.

An all Irish final is a distinct possibility in the US Mid-amateur.

Hugh Foley (Royal Dublin) is 3 up through 13 in his semi-final. Matthew McClean (Malone) is 4 up through 12

The mid-amateur is limited to over 25s. I guess the logic is that young players will have turned pro by that age so it is more of an amateur championship than the actual US amateur comp.

The winner is usually exempt to the next US Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Been following it all week. Unbelievable achievement from the 2 of them. Were they the only 2 Irish in the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Only 2 Irish, from a field of 264

Unreal achievement!

Even better. I wasn't aware of that when I posted

Advertisement