Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bringing hurls on a plane.

• 18-06-2022 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

Going on holidays next week. What is the story with bring a couple of hurls for meself and young lad. Does it cost extra - anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

You can't bring it on the plane and must go in the hold. Depending on your airline you will have to buy a bag to put in the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭obi604

ah ok. Don’t care if it’s on the plane or in the hold.

So needs to go in some kind of a bag…….but does it cost anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

I've put them in a black sack and taped them to my suitcase with no issues. Might depend on the person when checking in though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Check in agents may have an issue with them being wrapped and strapped to a suitcase… if they come loose and get snagged in the conveyor belt that’s a few grand to fix, the belt not the hurls.

whatever the options no harm bubble wrapping.

Depending on biosecurity of the place you will be travelling to - make sure they are clean of soil. Some places will not allow old wood. Ive brought hurls back to Australia but they had to be brand new, never used. clean. Aus is v. strict and about as tough as you would expect to come up against. They had to be in the hold. I had a suitcase big enough to hold them.

Great for hitting around on a beach in the sunshine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭obi604

Should have said, the travel is to Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

a bag is luggage, checked luggage generally isnt free unless you are travelling business/ first class or on a private jet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Impossible not to with a thread title like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Paddico

Isnt that a hurley in your mans hand, whats a hurl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

agree a hurl is a ‘vomit/puke’ is it not…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Ah, here we go again with the hurl or hurley debate 😁

'Hurley' is baby talk, just like doggy and horsey.

Grown-ups say 'hurl', just as we also say dog and horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What do you hurl the ball/sliotar with……has t be a Hurley….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I like how some people get so concerned about others calling it a hurl that they invent nonexistent grammatical rules to try "win" the debate. If the above was true you'd fish using a fishy, shield with a shieldy, hammer with a hammery, cycle using a cycley, paint with a paintey etc.

If anything there's more examples of the verb and noun being the same than of the noun being the "verb+y"; we bat with a bat, file with a file, hammer with a hammer, and I personally hurl with a hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭chubba1984

It's a camán

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

In the official rule-book it's alway referred to as a hurley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

That's just to avoid arguments, they know we "hurl" users are easy going folk who don't get upset by people using a different word 😉

Those parts of the rule book must have been written by either a baby-talking Munster man, or somebody from another part of the country where there's not much hurling, and who asked a baby-talking Munster man for advice instead of asking a grown-up..... 😁

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm a blow in. Only here 30 odd years. I thought hurley was normal, and hurl was some bogger term. https://www.balls.ie/hurling/vote-hurley-or-hurl-453286

Looks like I'm the bogger? :-D

Well, that survey is a real example of how statistics can be presented any way you like, to suit any given narrative.

Consider the possible headlines:

"Majority of voters say it's hurley, not hurl".

"Majority of Ireland says it's hurl, not hurley".

Both are correct! 😀

Advertisement