Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning enforcement details

Options
  • 16-05-2022 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there is a public site to view Planning Enforcement decisions? I know that DCC have a section to view planning applications but can't find anything with regard to PE decisions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Call them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Ah jasus, still covid vibe I guess. Best of luck so.

Can you make an appointment to go in? I've done that to get plans during covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭limos

How long after retention was refused do you have to remove offending structure

it varies but the details and timetable would have been advised to the owner/builder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No is the short answer.

Planning Enforcement actions are private and protected from the FOI act unless they go to court where you’ll see the public outcome.

The only info the Plan Enf section will give out is if there’s any active enforcement notice on a site as this is requested during the conveyance process daily.

What information in particular are you looking for?

Sometimes it’s contained in the condition of the retention refusal. One application I done for a client last year stated it had to be removed within 6 months.

If there’s an active Enforcement File then shortly after the decision is made and if no appeal to ABP is lodged, the Plan Enf section will touch base stagings it’s removal is now required to avoid an Enforcement Notice as once that notice is issued, it’s legal and the building owner is then liable to Costs.

Enforcement Notice has been issued against a structure which has been illegally adapted for habitation. Wondering what timescale applies to the tenants having to leave - notice etc.

Are you sure it’s an Enforcement Notice and not a Section 152 Warning Letter?

Positive it's an Enforcement Notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

With a little work they could delay this for 10+ years. In reality, if it not a major development, the enforcement only means they will not be able to sell it until remedial action is taken.

So if its a "garden room" that is not a monstrosity, the chances of actual enforcement is close to zero and there is literally nothing you can do.

All you have to look at is the massive house built in Meath and you can see the difficulty. If the person who ahs it claims their son/daughter/niece/nephew etc are living in it due to the current crisis, a judge will give a lengthy stay on enforcement and then a further extension and a further extension

So you may not like it, but best to ignore it and not let it affect you too much

That’s incorrect, once it goes to Enforcement Notice, legal proceedings have begun and a court date will be set if the requirements of the Enforcement Notice are not complied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GalwayGaz

Hi, Gumbo, 

You seem to be pretty clued in about all this stuff so hope you won’t mind taking a second to clarify something 

I live in Galway and have a pair of horrible Dub weekend neighbours who built two large house-sized structures on the land next time mine without planning permission.

As land in question is not supposed to be built on, I reported them to the local council.

Having had a warning letter and enforcement notices, they applied for retention and lost before quicly issuing and withdrawing a Bord Na Pleanala appeal – probably because it bore no relation to their retention app.

The council has now advised me they will be taken to court. 

What I need to know is what might happen next? 

Judge will decide.

Most likely allow time for a further retention app or give a time frame for their removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GalwayGaz

Thanks

Anything I can do to keep the pressure on the people concerned?

Write to the Min of the Env? Approach Green groups? Talk to the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you think it’s a good idea for Court cases to be subject to pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Don't do anything that could make yourself a target, especially talking to the media.

Agreed. You might find a level of intimidation that you won't be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

thanks for all your feedback. Much appreciated

Advertisement