Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Driving

Options
  • 17-06-2022 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what's it like to be a Taxi driver these days,

Back 20 years ago i knew loads of people getting into not so much these days,

Is there decent money to be made, is it harder job than it used to be , are clients better or worse than they use to be, Is it hard to get a car on the road ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Allinall

Decent money if you're prepared to put in the hours and have some sort of electric car.

Not so much if you're putting petrol or diesel into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You'll need a wheelchair accessible taxi and I don't think there's many BEVs that meet that criteria. To make money you'll need to work weekend nights dealing with drunks and coke heads, anecdotally people seem to be getting worse.

The biggest give away that it's not worth the hassle is that pre COVID Dublin used to be full of taxis while post COVID there's feck all taxis to be had. If there was money to be made then the thousands of drivers from before COVID would be back out making a fortune, the fact that none have come back tells you what the job is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

I wouldn't think of it as a job for life either, as there will be plenty of autonomous cars in the next few decades (no idea how old you are, but something to consider of you're thinking of doing it for that long)

Also plenty of drivers under reporting their income with cash transactions, but the ability to take card (with a functioning machine) is going to be mandatory from September

Advertisement