Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Decided to take a new job at Lidl, after recently graduating with a marketing degree

Options
  • 18-06-2022 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

So, a couple months back I left a sales job I took after college because I absolutely hated it. The money was okay, but I didn't feel like it was worth it considering the base pay in some retail jobs were more.

Recently, I decided to take a job in Lidl because 1. I actually miss working in retail to some degree and 2. The pay is slightly better than what I was earning in my sales job with in a huge company.

I had a few interviews for marketing roles but I didn't get any of them, and to be honest, the more interviews I did, the more I questioned did I want to work in marketing. Customer service is something I've always enjoyed, and being able to work part of a team, and none of these roles had that or really appealed to me in terms of personal interest (apart from slightly better salary).

My issue is, I feel... Ashamed to have to put working in Lidl on my LinkedIn, or on my CV at all as I feel almost expected to put a good marketing role on there by now, as that's what I studied in college for (a niche area of marketing, actually).

I'm sick of applying for jobs, so... For the foreseeable future I'll be back in Lidl. Am I wasting my time? Would like a fresh perspective on this. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭blackbox

1. Why would you be ashamed of working in Lidl?

2. Why would you post anything on LinkedIn?

Lots of (maybe even most) people work in roles that are not directly related to their qualification. However the stuff they learned still brings value to their role.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jimsonite

1. Pretty much because I feel like I should be working in an area that I studied for.

2. And yeah I know, I just feel obliged to post my job updates on there since most people I know do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sofasurfer90

Having graduated in a similar field, I totally get where you’re coming from! Expectations can get to you, but just be aware that this is YOUR life and you can do whatever you want with it. And absolutely no need to tell strangers on LinkedIn if you don’t feel like it. Working at Lidl is a) a tough job and b) a vital job, so don’t be ashamed. As long as you feel good doing it, go for it. You can change your mind/profession 10 times if you like, just ignore those judgy people who think they have it all figured out.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

I would look at what you’ve done as a distinct positive. You have taken control of your career. You are very clear why you left your previous job and you have solid reasoning behind you for questioning the area you want to go into.

looking t it from an employer perspective, it shows maturity, presence of mind and someone who knows their mind. All very good traits in a candidate.

keep going and don’t be ashamed, your time will come soon !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I get we're you coming from OP but feeling ashamed of working in Lidl is so wrong .

Coincidentally I know numerous people who've given up on choosen professions or indeed were laid off and took up roles in both Aldi & Lidl and they couldn't be happier in themselves, whether it be the hours, decent pay , some progressed to management and some to Logistics and HQ.

I've never really got LinkedIn, seems to me to be mors of a FB for employers and CV harvesting tool for recruitment agencies.

Wether you've doubts about your chosen profession, I'd just say use your time whilst earning to explore different options or even look within Lidl or indeed retail generally for more fulfilling Roles

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭blackbox

LinkedIn is full of people looking to be promoted - not people who actually want to work.

Best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Aldi and lidl will take care of you if you are willing to work hard and will promote you if you show a bit of initiative, if that's what you want to do. Other companies will also know the work rate that lidl and aldi expect, so it will look good if you want to move on.

You took the job for all the right reasons - decent money and good job satisfaction. Most people won't judge you for that, and the minority of those who will, are not the type of people you want to be wasting your energy worrying about.

Don't worry about LinkedIn- its good if you are job hunting and want to get in touch with some people but it's mostly people projecting pure shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have no connection to either ALDI or Lidl.

What I do know is that they are "family-owned", long-term type of German firms. Not flaky, solid.

They are not in it for short-term profits.

They choose to pay an above average wage, to hire better than average staff.

They are for high wages, high productivity, low costs, no messing.

They offer the highest graduate salaries in Ireland.

"ashamed to work for Lidl" - you should be proud that they picked you, I hear they are picky.

They offer 65k to 106.5k to graduates!!!!

https://www.aldirecruitment.ie/area-manager-programme/graduate-area-manager-programme

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jimsonite

Hi, yes, I'm actually looking into that as we speak. Could be a great career move if I manage to get it.

Advertisement