Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The best lock?

Options
  • 15-06-2022 10:03am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I have an ebike on order, it comes with a bike frame lock while I'll be attaching a ABUS chain to but I want a second lock.

Budget isn't really a problem, the bike is several k so spending say 200 isn't out of the question for the lock.

I had been looking at https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000AOA3W6 but what can people suggest as a really good lock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

That’s a good lock but it won’t take long to cut through it with a portable angle grinder.

In todays world I don’t think any lock is good enough for me to trust leaving a bike costing several k unattended.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's something I'm very aware of, I'll be adding disc brake lock and tracking as well as the two heavy duty locks.

it'll be very rarely stored in the open unattended so I still want lots of security even for just locking it in the garden. I just want some input on buying a second lock

From what I recall, most thefts are opportunistic thefts, you don't an impregnable lock generally, you just need a good lock and (imo, more importantly) and a safe location that dissuades would-be robbers from going to the hassle of stealing it. A person with an angle-grinder is probably getting through most locks, the hope has to be that your bike is in a place where that is unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hiplock D1000 whenever they get released to the general public, have seen a few test videos where people have gone through 8 cutting discs on an angle grinder and still not gotten through it.

No idea what the RRP will be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

This is the video, I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Is the lock to be portable or is it for locking in a particular place (home or work for example)?

If semi permanent, I use an almax motorcycle lock. 20mm iirc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I want it to be portable,

At home it'll be locked to a Hiplock anchor point, but I also want it so I can lock it elsewhere now and then. Where it is intended to be used would be rural and low crime so locally atleast I wouldn't be majorily worried but I still don't want to take chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I have an Abus chain lock for the last decade, cost around €80 and weighs around 2kg. I use it to lock my carbon bike and ebike with no issue, usually at my local shops or in Drury St.

Along with a heavy duty chain ideally you'd have a second U lock to attach the back wheel to the frame and even a cable lock going through the U lock into the saddle so nothing gets taken off. Although newer bikes don't really use quick releases so a second and third lock isn't as big of a deal as it would he with a bike with a quick release saddle and wheels.

Main thing is to lock the bike with a lock that's isn't some piece of crap from Lidl for €10 and also lock it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Until the already-mentioned almost-indestructible

HipLok gets to market, the toughest lock is probably the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit mini-u, but it does't allow you to lock to that much, apart from Sheffield stands, or similar.

I don't have an especially valuable bike, but I use a Fagettaboudit mini and a Kryptonite evolution mini chain. Essentially, the former is hard to cut with a bolt cutters and chains are supposed to be more of a pain to cut with angle grinders. I also have an Abus frame lock and a plug-in Tex-lok, which I use sometimes, especially if I don't know whether there are proper bike stands where I'm going. Basically, the thief would have to make a fair commitment.

I think the HipLok will be the best one for e-bikes though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Use different types of lock, in line with what @tomasrojo was saying, a chain neeeds to either be really taught or a great bolt cutters, a really good u lock needs an angle grinder. Having two different types doesn't make them unstealable but as most thefts are chance your arms, one type of lock cutters, you've made your bike unattractive by having both two locks and two different types.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭whomadewho

Using this since to 2016, best lock I've every had

Advertisement