Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID3 1st and a Zappi -207UB wall charger c/w myenergi web/app

Options
  • 16-06-2022 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭

So 5 years after buying my Leaf I finally have a wall charger.

Connected up the Leaf, no issue drew 6.3 kW so happy days

Connected up the VW, will only pull 4.1 kW, it pulls 11kW at 22 kW public charge points .

Any thoughts? This ia bigger problem than the next one

Second question, is it possible to programme the app to have it charge on night rate only, ie start at midnight and end at 09:00.

I set it up to do that as per the manual but it started charging straight away at 1.3 and did that all night so 14 kWs added :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Couple of things I've noticed with the ID.4 and the Zappi

One is that the plug doesn't go all the way in sometimes. The charge will actually start but limit to 1.4kW. There'll be a message on the dash saying charging fault and only emergency charging is possible, and the indicator light beside the socket will alternate green and red

You can fix it by removing the plug and putting it back and and making sure it's all the way in before the lock engages

The other quirk I've seen is that when the Zappi limits current for any reason (maybe a grid limit) the ID.4 seems to stay at the lower value even when the Zappi raises current limit. I'm not sure if it stays there for a set time or until the end of the charging session

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Also, to get the Zappi to obey the timed boost you need to be in either Eco or Eco+ modes. In Fast mode the boost will be ignored and the car will just charge straight away

I think you can the mode and boost timer in the app. You can also set the default charging mode on the Zappi. It'll normally default to Fast, change it to Eco so that in a power cut it doesn't reset to Fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭denismc

If you are using the Zappi to set the charging schedule then it needs to be in Eco+ mode, then you probably checked this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Connected up the VW, will only pull 4.1 kW, it pulls 11kW at 22 kW public charge points .

Are you using the cable that came with the car or is it a tethered charge point?

The cable that came with the ID.3 1st is 16A only so you would only get 3.6kW on single phase but you would get 11kW on a public charger.

If its a tethered charge point then the other possibility is that you have the "Reduced AC" option turned on in the car.

Second question, is it possible to programme the app to have it charge on night rate only, ie start at midnight and end at 09:00.

In theory yes, but in practice its actually broken. VW need to update the s/w in the car to fix that. You should get a recall in the next few months to get that sorted and then timed night time charging will work from the app.

In the meantime you need to remove all "Locations" from the charging section of the infotainment as it will wreck your head as it will charge at random times and leave you with a half charged car. You may also have the "Reduced AC" charging button turned on in one of those locations which could cause your slow charging issue above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks guys.

Untethered unit, using cables that came with both cars

Plugged VW in last night at 9pm, 1.3 kW.

Woke up at 13:30 and turned it onto fast, 4.1 from then on

Leaf is in now, 6.1 kW

KC, using the cable that came with the car which I also use at lidl and IIRC, it draws 11, will check it again on the We connect app

Reduced option not on the the car, will check locations in th infotainment setting

• Advertisement

KC, using the cable that came with the car which I also use at lidl and IIRC, it draws 11, will check it again on the We connect app

that’s your answer then. That cable will only give you 16A on single phase. It will give you 11kW on 3 phase.

you need a different cable or suck it up! 😀

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

A lot of people end up buying the cable from Tesla

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ie/product/type-2-adapter---32a €99

Post edited by Calahonda52 on

Could you use the Leaf cable, or is it a type 1 cable?

• Advertisement

Damn, same boat as me then, can't use the same cable for both cars

Just think about 2.15 a litre and rising :)

Anyway no harm to have a cable in each car

3 by 6 sq cable

It maxed out at 6.6, need to check the zap pie settings

Right change of topic.

Where are the instructions of using the puncture kit in the ID 3.

My guess is

1: get a flat :)

2: remove inners from valve

3: squeeze in as much of the goo from the plastic bottle as possible.

3a: put in new inners in valve

4: grap ear defenders

5: plug in compressor and pump to 38 psi.

6: Wait ten minutes and dont drive below 50 mph /><\

I didn't even get a puncture kit 😒

On the Leaf's, you'd screw the bottle into a port in the air compressor and it blew the gunk into the tyre for you

Maybe a similar setup here? Seems less error prone than squeezing it in by hand

Right so, I have had low voltage problems with the Zappi over the past few weeks.

The charger cuts out and has to be reset, which is not good if you need the car in the morning.

Luckily this morning it happened at 90 % at 6:30 so no big issue as I was up, voltage went to 202.

Any thoughts?

You need to get onto ESB and get them to monitor your connection.

There are rules/regs about voltage drops and if they fall outside those rules they are obliged to fix it.

Do you have other high power devices in the house? Were they on when the Zappi cutout?

Are you rural and sharing your transformer with a neighbouring farmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭eagerv

We also have had problems with our Zappi and low voltage. Occasionally our Tesla M3 stopped charging and sometimes restarts. But not always. (No problem with other cars) Waiting on ESB to check our voltage. They called me yesterday but on hols for next 10 days so hopefully after that.

Had no problems till we got the Tesla but it states 217 V in its reports. Apparently not enough voltage.

If we have some stored in our battery storage (only4.5kWh) then we don’t have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

as others have said get onto the esb to get a voltage monitor installed, and that will show if you have connection issues, they will come and install a sealed box with the voltage reader in your meter box for a week or so and then will check the data, and see if you are within the tolerance, if you are they wont do anything as they are meeting there SLA to you, if your not they are required to rectify the situation.

were in the middle of this process, have already had the engineers out to plan the upgrade works that are required. Also be advised this is not a quick process! we started this process back in february.

Thanks for insights on LV, sparks who installed the zappi coming out ..

Back to charger timing issues.

Have cleared out all schedules on the charger as using it seems to be beyond my bird brain.

Am now trying to use the myenergi app on the phone.

The only way I can get that to work is set the boost schedule for 8 hours from midnight and then start charging at eco, 1.4 kWs, before I go to bed and then at midnight it jumps to 6.4 with the newer cable ( thanks KC for solving the 4.8 kWs with the supplied cable)

despite setting the boost schedule for 7 days, it clears out the settings for all the other days so I have to redo this every night.

Am driving a lot these days so putting 50 kWh in most nights

That's very strange, mine definitely doesn't do any of those shenanigans

I think I'd get MyEnergi support on that one, sounds like you might have a fault with yours

Maybe try a software update? There could be some dodgy code in there that will get overwritten by an update

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have zappi v1. There are 3 modes. Fast (6.6kW), eco+ (1.4kW at least), and eco++ which is 0kW then during boost schedule it rises to 6.6kW.

What I did to test system was to set boost times to say 7pm or 10pm start and check car was charging before going to bed. I then raised it to 00:30 on a Friday night and checked it on Saturday morning in case it did not work. This way less risk of coming out in the morning for work with no charge.

I chose 00:30 as night rate varies between 11pm.and midnight but the clock can drift by say 15 minutes and then you are charging on more expensive rate. I left charge going until 9am even though car would usually be finished by 3am. This was to allow in case car was very flat to ensure it was full each day. I also needed car "charging" for the preheat or precool to work in the morning but my EV is not a VW. Preheat on cold mornings is great.

Thanks as always.

Am downloading the firmware software update for the zappi now

Updated software.

What works now is set the charge option to the renewable option: eco with two leaves on the zappi / eco+ on the app.

Then, on the phone, set the boost from midnight for 8 hours, which is the max on the app, having decided on 80% or 100% as required in the car.

with the new cable am getting 6.8 so 8 hrs generally plenty

Just noticed I had a charge schedule set in the online version, which was overwriting what I had in the app so have deleted it.

Anyway it works, not as neat as the leaf but works so thanks for the suggestions.

Safe driving

{OH drove to and from Dublin day, 300 kms, no stops, came back with 16% / 70 kms left. Clearly not driving at warp speed but a good result: fine day warm, no wind dry...]

now at 80% 310 kms, did the upgrade give us more kms?

Advertisement