Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Sky [Amazon]

• 22-04-2022 7:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Alongside Outer Range, here comes another science fiction thriller on Prime, also set in rural America, centred around a mystery object, ha.

Also stars veteran Hollywood talent in JK Simmons and Sissy Spacek. The premise looks good and the mystery intriguing enough. Drops May 20.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

JK Simmons! I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ed O' Neill was first linked to his role in this, glad it was changed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is this more pretentious nonsense?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's not out til may 20, but not sure I understand the question either 😆

well Outer Range is pretentious nonsense and this looks similar

• Advertisement

Right so, to me the reviews seem to indicate it doesn't go huge on the science fiction but is well made and has strong performances from J. K. Simmons and Sissy Spacek.

After one episode, that sounds right. There's the science fiction mystery but also a lot of Feels (tm). I think the feels part reminds me of the Michael Caine film: Is Anybody There?

There might be a focus on end of life care in this series but I'm not 100% on it.

1: That was a decent introduction. Got some history but not all and a general feel for where everyone is at the moment.

I'd forgotten the faces from the trailer so I'd been guessing Byron was the one who she'd see down there but this guy is new.

Don't know who he is. Like it might be their son Michael but .. I dunno.. the story around Michael sounds like it might be a tragic event from their history and that he died in some sad way.

2: OK, no, I feel like episode 1 was too early to get a read on this show. Also maybe even still too early.

Feels a bit of a touch of Sense8 scale, maybe with a touch of 30 coins story, all with that kinda realism sense that Simmons seemed to look for in counterpart. I dunno though. It's big on the mystery side I think.

Right so, things on my mind: this dude.. seems ominous.. was that a tracker in his leg? but like an alien tech tracker?

Byron seems like he's gonna be a source of a chaotic messup later

Down in Argentina.. right so.. more than one door worldwide.. don't know where their one goes. Could be the same place, could be different.

Is it some sort of alien penal colony maybe? I dunno.

I looked up the the challenge and response from the woman and man:

challenge - ad majorem dei gloriam: "For the greater glory of God." Latin motto of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), an order of the Catholic Church - from wiki

response - ad majorem mundi sine peccatum: "For the greater world without sin" - that's google translate but feels like it fits to the challenge

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

3: Well now that's a bit confusing..

Seems like it's a wormhole maker to do transporting. Now the one in Farnsdale goes to this other planet. The one in Argentina goes to Newark (which wiki tells me is in New Jersey, which is the state next to New York).

I wonder does this organisation know about the other planet. The Newark one sure looks like it has all kinds of human construction around it.

I'm not even sure about the organisation now. Might not be the church.. maybe that's just a cover for the Argentina one.

Still though.. they are still using latin and that word perdisco means learn thoroughly

well according to this site anyway: https://latin-dictionary.net/definition/29836/perdisco-perdiscere-perdidici

The death of the son looks like it's gotta be somehow connected to this device. Maybe.. I dunno.

Byron sure looks like he's gonna cause trouble and I find him wierdly annoying.

Well.. that linkage that I'd be connecting to would be a dodgy Catholic Church conspiracy. 30 coins would be more supernatural where here it might be science fiction.

but really.. you don't follow all my threads religiously?!?!? 😭 (pun intended 😁)

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058232657/30-coins-hbo-europe/p1?new=1

4: OK! I don't even know. Mystery Mystery mysteriously mysteries!

Like.. maybe it's the church.. or maybe it's just some separated group from 300 years ago that speaks Latin or maybe it they are aliens or .. I dunno.

Byron.. I legit thought Franklin was gonna throw out the airlock but.. they handled that well enough. I guess Byrons screwing around could be finished.. ish... maybe.. I dunno. Seems a bit simple. Maybe he'll prove an ally at some point.

I did look up that thing the dude said over the phone: fiat voluntas dei: May God's will be done

I did not look up Judes song..

• Advertisement

Ah right, that answers that. Hadn't heard of the show and would have considered myself up to speed on most releases. Never seen that advertised anywhere ...

5: Alright, I'm back to thinking there's something

of a church conspiracy involved. Can't be all of it but they might be something to do with a .. maybe offworld.. penal colony.. or maybe just a regular ole colony.. I dunno

I wasn't sure about the Franklin bringing Byron in on it but hit might prove useful in some kind of scuffle later on

Watched the first episode of this and I liked it. Very sombre, deeply sad and melancholy, but contained enough mystery without feeling withholding or excessively clever. While it made for a good example of how easy it is to convey important plot points through visual language alone. Michael, the son, had obviously died but this was never spoken; it was written on the longing and weight of the parents, and the camera occasionally focusing on something.

A very direct, simple conceit mixed into a potentially strong character study. It's only when I watched the episode that I realised TV dramas with OAPs as their leads are practically nonexistent. It's such a different, unique perspective rarely examined - and Spacek and Simmons did stellar work with the role.

Also: is this the first major TV drama where a lead character is working remotely? Sign of the times.

I can confirm, watching both, this isn't pretentious. I can sorta see why Outer Range might be seen that way - but this was a much more straightforward drama

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Ep 4 here. Interesting.. Will keep going

Episode 2 and yeah, this is my jam. Solid Sci-Fi mystery backed by interesting human drama, a couple more people introduced in this second episode including an expansion on the scope established by the trailers and opening episode.

I could watch a while drama about Sissy Spacek and JK Simmons' couple alone, whether it was Sci-Fi or not. Fantastic performances by both; especially the latter given his career has been peppered with big, larger than life characters.

I've just finished ep 6 - and tbh i don't know what to make of it? it drags a bit, and too many holes in it for my liking, the most glaring being you've got one of the biggest secrets in the world in your garden shed so why the hell would you leave the shed door open not so much as a lock on it?? c'mon now 😑

6: Oh!

He's gonna go outside! Might see some other buildings or maybe where Jude came from.

Still not really sure where the show is going but the mystery is decent.

The story about the son is really starting to feel heavy now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Really enjoyed this I must say. Has it been renewed? I thought at the end the one problem would be if after all the lore setup it got cancelled.

Episode 3 of this and Bryon is a character who needs to die. Incredibly annoying and pointless so far. Looks to be the kind of agent of chaos that'll upend whatever status quo is established on the farm, but he has been written as a tedious, unlikeable clod.

This has been the right way to dish out a mystery so far: small bites, a little more each episode, while other aspects slowly surfacing like Franklin realising something's up with their house guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Nothing official as of yet as far as I'm aware. Obviously depends on how this season is received.

Overall, I found it passable to decent. Very much relied on Spacek and Simmons who were both top notch and very much the heart of the show, and I'd have no problem continuing on their story. The overarching plot line though was very much breadcrumbs casually fed to the viewer so it was increasingly obvious there'd be little in the way of resolution as the episodes progressed, so it's a good thing the family side of the story was strong.

Left pieces in play, a basic enough overview of what's going on but no direct answers or observations, so it's still an interest if it does indeed continue on. Usually a good idea not to get too invested but will keep an eye out for another chapter....same goes for Outer Range.

• Advertisement

didn't work for me, thought it was pretentious for the most part, too 'american mawkish' for my liking

the final episode was like a cross between The Waltons, McGyver and The Walking Dead - and the 'hold up' scene in the house was ludicrous, nah thought it was nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Enjoyed it for the most, hopefully a 2nd season comes out of it.

Can I ask what you mean by "pretentious"? I think you said similar about Outer Range, which yeah, I could see given that show often swung for eccentric for its own sake. This show has felt a lot more nuts n' bolts, with simple, slow paced storytelling.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think like the aforementioned Outer Range its trying to hold it self up as a serious ground breaking sci fi series which it isn't its just a load of 'hokum' (imo).

Nut n' bolts?? don't know about that? come the finale - still didn't have a notion what that portal in the shed was about was it a gateway to another planet or another part of planet earth? What was the significance of the son's suicide to the whole story? Those drawn out mawkish scenes with him were tiresome and didn't add anything to it, as i said previously it was The Waltons meets Sci-Fi.

Any excuse to rewatch some serious ground breaking sci fi 🙂

Outer Range (2022) Saved the best for last (Autumn & Billy bank scene) Song by Vanessa Williams

7: 😲 The intensity rose in this one on a few fronts. That kinda season one ozark switch-up feel.

That was very sad about their Son Michael. The Frank and Byrons moment discussing family and relationship.

Then the Byron disappearing, but I'm not taking as dead unless that is shown, and Frank keeping secret about it.

and then this ending!.. the feel of the show.. I thought maybe he'd just leave her with the sore hand but the neck snap! 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Sat down and watched Ep 1 last night. What an intriguing story line. Its also about the foibles of getting older and socieities attitude to older folk. Will be getting stuck in as the week goes on.

Finished! Really enjoyed this. Had some good heart and wholesomeness. Had some action. Also ended well. Setup for more if they get a renewal too.

8: I swear I totally jumped when the

first bullet hit the car that Jude and Denise were talking beside when he was about to leave town.

I liked the look of the planet now that it's been explored a little. Felt original enough. Also helped that it gave something of a clue of where Byron ended up.

Really want to see what's gonna happen with this crew that pushed Stella and Toni off the road with Cornelius trapped in the back. Doesn't hurt that they're led by Sonya Walger (who plays Molly Cobb in For All Mankind)

Future: Yes I would like another season. Will they get one.. I dunno.. I haven't seen much chatter about the show. It's a proper decent show though.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Who ever wrote the characters is who I want to see write more.

The direction is the best I have ever seen.

Actors are award winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thought this was a great little show - hope it gets renewed

It's sci-fi but not heavy, more mystery and drama - Sissy Spacek and JK Simmons were a joy to watch in this and the show probably wouldn't have been the same without them. Sissy always comes across as the grandma you want for yourself, just so endearing

I'm wondering if where they kept going is Earth in the future

Post edited by fritzelly on

Advertisement