Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest NAS Drive

Options
  • 21-05-2022 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

What is the minimun you could spent to get a half decent one or even to build with a Raspberry Pi etc, only have a crap old dell so thats out

Ive priced and looked at ideas etc, if I wanted to go 8TB (thats my biggest drive I got this year) onwards and use it for All my videos etc as plex server and backup my external drives its about 1K or E500 or so on adverts (a large payment on seconhand)

Or

How low can you go to backup photos and videos from phone when away from home (then move to external drive), to a few tv shows an films to watch on firestick

Thanks for any ideas etc, just want to see if i can put a number on best or worse case

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Absolute cheapest? Get an old PC and install TrueNAS core on it, and add the drives to that. You should be able to find a minimal spec'd PC for nearly free, if not free from a friend/relative/spare parts.

Future expandability would depend on the motherboard and case capacity for more drives.

NUC always on pc would set you back a couple hundred and do the job with the right software, upgradeable to a decent extent too as you wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I used a rockpro 64 for this with a dedicated case can take 2 3.5" drive and one ssd its very low power and does exactly what I need thats around 3 years ago and still going strong.

Have a couple of dockers on it as well and its been rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 guardian_in_the_snow

Have you found a NAS yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

No i gave up as seemed to be cheap DIY ideas with no clear path/price (like rasberry PI sold out or import etc costs) or there was one in bargain alerts and you HAVE to transfer over the network and would take me weeks to copy TBs and then slow going forward

At the minute I use excess phone credit for 2TB google storage for photos and then have over 1TB free, so use that for playing some media files on firestick and the odd few things I want to be sure to be sure about

The more I looked and thought about it, I would forget TB backup and get 500GB one to do for the files to watch on TV (trying to be vague with copyright etc) via plex and then the few things I have in cloud to be sure to be sure

One of those sounds good ideas until you look into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 guardian_in_the_snow

Bought my dad Synology DiskStation DS220j. He is happy with this. Mostly used for downloading movies and as a plex server. You have the option to sync cloud storage along with NAS. There is an app, I have to check. He has been using it for over 2 years now and has two 3.5 TB drives.

I also own a NAS, Qnap tbs-453a. It has a 4 m2 SATA slot. It can take up to 4 TB in storage. I am planning to sell mine as I don't have much use for it.

Advertisement